Author Topic: Any info on these newly introduced Mangos from Burma and Thailand?  (Read 2014 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Leo Manuel just notified me of these new introductions. I believe they were introduced by Maurice Kong but I am not positive. Has anyone tasted these varieties or have any information they can add.

Several people including Cielo, Kevin Foth, Bob Holtzinger,  Dr. Paulette Johnson of Tropical Fruit & Vegetable Society, Dr. Jonathan Crane at the University of Florida, Steve Pearson curator of Gifford Arboretum among others attended the special Mango tasting.

Maurice Kong introduced us to Ice Cream Mango and Po Pyu Kalay so I figure if he introduced these new varieties, they have potential.

1.    Shwe Hin Dha (Burma)

2.    Thong Lone Tda Daung Burma)

3.     Nuan Tjan (Thailand)

4.     Yai Grom  (Thailand)

Simon

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Any info on these newly introduced Mangos from Burma and Thailand?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
There is one called  Shwe Hin Thar, I don't know if it is the same as  Shwe Hin Dha, but I have had the  Shwe Hin Thar for a few years but have not let it fruit yet so I don't know what it is like except from the description on the link below:

http://www.shanmawmyae.com/export_fruit_mango2.htm

Mark
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 08:10:39 PM by marklee »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
Was that one of the varieties that Maurice Kong brought over to Leos place that we tasted a couple years ago? I remember Maurice brought over several samples of Mangos I’ve never heard of before at that tasting a while back.

Simon

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:35 PM »
I have a 2 year old Yai Grom that I got from Maurice. I hope to taste some next season for the first time.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
We’re growing Shwehintha. It’s pretty good. Similar flavor to Maha Chanok.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
Here is a picture of a Yai Grom I just sampled yesterday at Leo Manuel’s House. The Fruit is from Maurice Kong. When I first saw it, I told Leo it looks a lot like Maha Chanok. I picked it up and sniffed it and it smelled like Maha Chanok. Everything about it including the color reminded me of Maha Chanok.

When I cut it open, it smelled a bit different than Maha Chanok and when I tasted it, it tasted very different. This fruit was slightly over ripe but it was still firm. It had a sweet taste, Brix was 19%, but it had no acidity at all and it had a musky taste to it. Aside from the musky taste which I do not care for, it did not have any other outstanding flavor. I thought the Fruit was just ok but Leo said it was good.

I feel this fruit would have been better if eaten a bit earlier and perhaps it would have a bit of acidity to balance out the sugars. The musky taste might also not be as noticeable if eaten at an earlier stage.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
I tried Shwehintha a few years ago very good mango and I have Yai Grom grafted in a branch the fruit is average.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
We’re growing Shwehintha. It’s pretty good. Similar flavor to Maha Chanok.

Fairchild had this one the display table for years.  We bought from their fruit stand, when they had one.  It was among my daughters faves.  All this time I thought it was from India.

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
I had a Yai Grom this year that set about 20 plus fruits. There are many other varieties that are far superior than this one. The taste was below average.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »
I had a Yai Grom this year that set about 20 plus fruits. There are many other varieties that are far superior than this one. The taste was below average.

This mango is nice in Thailand....