Author Topic: Retraction & Apology - Revised Score Kent Mango 7.5  (Read 6212 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Retraction & Apology - Revised Score Kent Mango 7.5
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Yes, 'Kent' can be good, especially after a few fertilizations with Calcium Sulfate [gypsum], and a no-Nitrogen, otherwise-full fertilizer mix, over a two-year period..
Har

MKohlmann

• USA, Florida, Sarasota, USDA 9b/almost 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
I just had ate a Kent for breakfast that had the most flavor of any commercial -- and most home grown -- mangoes that I've tasted this season.  It was from Mexico, so maybe that made the difference... the label says "Artesanal."  It had the most concentrated flavor, not too sweet, acidic (citrus-y/pineapple-y), and very firm.  I thought it was ripe enough, but there was a squishy side that threw me off.  Can't wait to try the second one that I bought when it ripens a bit more.  I saved the seed -- checking online to see if Kent is polyembryonic -- since I want a tree just like this one.
~ Michael

shinzo

• High Density Urban Cultivator
    • Tunis (Tunisia) - 10 b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
I believe Kent is monoembryonic

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Kent gets 5 stars for flavor? Who is doing the tasting for Pine Island?
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
I agree that Kent can be excellent. I remember that the part near the skin often had a complex tutti frutti flavor that I went crazy for.

Kents can be richly flavored and great.  I've tasted them when they are.   Don't even mention them in the same breath as Tommy Atkins.

Same here....... rich full complex taste.....old time Florida style
So here is the question I've been seeking the answer to:  Which other mango, especially among the new varieties, has that rich, complex, "tutti frutti" flavor?

Interestingly, I found a mango tree at a neighbors house that produced a later season mango which I absolutely loved the flavor of and I tentatively named it "Tutti Frutti" because of the fruity flavor. In speaking with the gentleman who owned the tree, I found out it was a Kent seedling. I think this is true because of the shape of the fruit, the mid-late season and unfortunately it seems prone to anthracnose, like kent. But it was delicious. I had probably 6 or 7 of them. So I got some budwood and grafted it to my Mallika tree.

MKohlmann

• USA, Florida, Sarasota, USDA 9b/almost 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 03:53:31 PM »
I believe Kent is monoembryonic

Thanks!  I found that elsewhere on the net, too, so I concur.  I guess I'll keep looking for a late season mango with lots of fruity sub-acid flavor.
~ Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk