Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Moringa oleifera

(1/4) > >>

TooFarNorth:
Anyone else growing Moringa oleifera in zone 8a. I do not get to harvest the "beans", but I do get a lot of growth each year from a single planting 3 years ago. They grow fast. They grow and bloom, but not enough time for the beans to grow. I use the leaves to eat, make tea, and plan on using some for compost tea for plants.

TFN

LaCasaVerde:
I am growing this plant but in 8b/9a. ...mine are in the ground. Here is how to get them to bloom and fruit 1 season. I cut mine to 1.5 feet at end of growing season before first freeze.  Chicken wire cage rolled around the sides. Fill with pine straw/lawn clippings. Cover with plastic to the ground . Spring- uncover and they will sprout higher and faster from the cut I made lat year. Now I get crop of beans before the freeze....As long as the ground around the roots stays above 32 degrees they will flurish each year.

TooFarNorth:
Hey, LaCasaVerde, since mine come back every year from just covering with straw, I believe that you suggestion will probably work for me as well. Thank you.   I don't know why I didn't think of that before.  That's pretty much what I do with my banana plants so they can produce fruit. Do you like the beans? I have eaten the leaves, but was wondering how the beans taste. Do you eat them pod and all or dry the beans like black eyed peas? I have read that you can do either

TFN.

pineislander:
If you don't make it to drumstick stage you can prepare the flowers. I like their food processor!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqC1515RKbg

LaCasaVerde:
It obviously doesnt freeze there...haha. enjoyed the processor...

Honestly I eat the leaves as spinach substitute, my family  has grown up with the seasonal moringa salad  so I dont persuade them as I have to with others that visit. The beans I dont care for as much .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version