Author Topic: late mangoes  (Read 2687 times)

bci801

• Tampa Fl
    • View Profile
late mangoes
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
What are some good late season varieties of mango? 

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
Re: late mangoes
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »
I like beverly

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
Please look at recent posts, there was a recent thread on this subject (there have also been older threads over the years).
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:50:43 PM »
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
Ye old reliable in SE Florida is Keitt but ask reliable nursery people where you live. You are 200 miles north of Ft lauderdale so less summer heat hours to mature and ripen a late large fruit like Keitt.   IOW ask at a good nursery.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »
Ye old reliable in SE Florida is Keitt but ask reliable nursery people where you live. You are 200 miles north of Ft lauderdale so less summer heat hours to mature and ripen a late large fruit like Keitt.   IOW ask at a good nursery.

Some areas around Tampa have same or even warmer temps than Broward or Palm Beach Counties...and in PB and Broward, its not that reliable with MBBS flying around.  Its also a quite average fruit, especially the larger early ones.  The best of the Keitts are that later ripening smaller fruits.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »

Some areas around Tampa have same or even warmer temps than Broward or Palm Beach Counties...and in PB and Broward, its not that reliable with MBBS flying around.  Its also a quite average fruit, especially the larger early ones.  The best of the Keitts are that later ripening smaller fruits.

So he should plant a sapodilla or avocado instead.
Is this MBBS for real?

My Keitts are doing just fine. No MBBS on them I have at least 100 on a smaller tree that gave no fruits last year so is making up

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »

I have lived there and they sell shark meat in the super markets there. I ate some and not a good idea. Enough said. Tampa not OK. St Petersbug OK.   Clearwater has a dark cloud over it from Scientology, steer clear of there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:34:38 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

I have lived there and they sell shark meat in the super markets there. I ate some and not a good idea. Enough said. Tampa not OK. St Petersbug OK.   Clearwater has a dark cloud over it from Scientology, steer clear of there.

Did I miss something?  What does shark meat have to do with anything  (other than it being Shaq, I mean shark, week)?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 08:51:08 PM »

Is this MBBS for real?

My Keitts are doing just fine. No MBBS on them I have at least 100 on a smaller tree that gave no fruits last year so is making up

There are many varieties that are highly susceptible, Keitt, Kent, LZ to name a few.  It is bad if you are growing on a commercial basis.  Bad enough that ZHPP has stopped propagating certain varieties.   On a backyard level, could be a problem but in my opinion (and Jeff's too), not quite as bad.

With that being said, if you dont already have one planted, I would not recommend Keitt or Kent.  There are far better varieties not to have to venture in the MBBS risk zone.  LZ, I would take the risk and plant one...
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 09:40:01 PM »
Did I miss something?  What does shark meat have to do with anything  (other than it being Shaq, I mean shark, week)?

If you see shark meat do not buy or eat it.  Nuff said. We had our fun taking dogfish shark. Reel them in then knock them against the side of the boat.  Father's wooden hull 1948 Chis Craft with a Chrysler or Dodge automobile engine (ocean water salt water cooled) stuck in the middle, none of this outboard engine BS. Heaved them against the sides until they looked dead. Toss them back in, most sank and few swimmed away though maybe they did so when they were out of my (our) sight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:47:35 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 09:48:08 PM »

If you see shark meat do not buy or eat it.  Nuff said. We had our fun taking dogfish shark. Reel them in then knock them against the side of the boat.  Father's wooden hull 1948 Chis Craft with a Chrysler or Dodge automobile engine (ocean water salt water cooled) stuck in the middle, none of this outboard engine BS. Heave them against the sides until they looked dead. Toss them back in, most sank and few swimmed away though maybe they did so when they were out of my (our) sight.

You have obviously never tasted a fresh caught Mako shark...
- Rob

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »

Is this MBBS for real?

There are many varieties that are highly susceptible, Keitt, Kent, LZ to name a few.  It is bad if you are growing on a commercial basis.  Bad enough that ZHPP has stopped propagating certain varieties.   On a backyard level, could be a problem but in my opinion (and Jeff's too), not quite as bad.

With that being said, if you dont already have one planted, I would not recommend Keitt or Kent.  There are far better varieties not to have to venture in the MBBS risk zone.  LZ, I would take the risk and plant one...

If you want to eat Mangoes in October it's either Keitt or nothing at all.  So I would say Keitt is worth the risk also. 
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:11 PM »

If you see shark meat do not buy or eat it.  Nuff said. We had our fun taking dogfish shark. Reel them in then knock them against the side of the boat.  Father's wooden hull 1948 Chis Craft with a Chrysler or Dodge automobile engine (ocean water salt water cooled) stuck in the middle, none of this outboard engine BS. Heave them against the sides until they looked dead. Toss them back in, most sank and few swimmed away though maybe they did so when they were out of my (our) sight.

Mako or not. The shark meat was nice and pink but made me feel sick for at least 24 hours. First time>>>>last time.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
If you want to eat Mangoes in October it's either Keitt or nothing at all.  So I would say Keitt is worth the risk also.

Verified I had last Keitts on October 11th about five years ago. Two edible ones.
But best thinking for S Florida is Keitt  into mid September.
This year is early for all (my) mangoes so looks like like my Keitts will be finished by August 15th-20th. But my bet is the 15th.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:11:27 PM by zands »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 11:31:35 PM »

Mako or not. The shark meat was nice and pink but made me feel sick for at least 24 hours. First time>>>>last time.

Sharks should be bled out after being caught, as their blood contains their urea.  Blacktip reef sharks make excellent fish sandwiches, called Bake N Shark, in Trinidad & Tobago

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
Sharks should be bled out after being caught, as their blood contains their urea.  Blacktip reef sharks make excellent fish sandwiches, called Bake N Shark, in Trinidad & Tobago

So if I was eating shark in Trinidad then it would be bled out  and would not be pink? I would try this. I would eat this and I will look up bake n shark. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk