Author Topic: Planting seeds from fresh fruit vs. buying seeds?  (Read 1637 times)

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
Planting seeds from fresh fruit vs. buying seeds?
« on: August 14, 2018, 03:13:01 AM »
If I'm interested in growing an Alphonso mango tree, is it possible to plant the seed from a store bought Alphonso mango to try and grow a mango tree? Is there any difference to that vs. buying a mango seed from someone else? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I just have no idea.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Planting seeds from fresh fruit vs. buying seeds?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:32:59 PM »
You need to do some research.  Growing mangoes from seed is very unlikely to give you the mango tree you want.  You need to just buy a grafted version of the tree you want.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 03:13:18 AM »
Sidd... Alphonso is a mono which means the seedling will not be true to type..... Buy or grow a rootstock tree & then graft .... This will give you what you want or just buy a grafted Alphonso tree........ Mike

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:06 AM »
Sidd... Alphonso is a mono which means the seedling will not be true to type..... Buy or grow a rootstock tree & then graft .... This will give you what you want or just buy a grafted Alphonso tree........ Mike

Do particular mangos work as good rootstocks for grafting? I would think two different types of mango rootstocks with the same Alphonso graft would turn out different, but I'm curious if there's one thats used typically.

Also, does that mean rootstocks should typically be polyembryonic and not monoembryonic? And does that mean a monoembryonic seed can't have the characteristics of the parent tree, or that there is just no guarantee? Is it basically a risk to plant mono seeds? Also, can monoembryonic varieties produce fruit that have polyembryonic seeds, however unlikely, or is that just not possible?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:02:15 AM by Sidd »

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 05:54:48 AM »
Deleted, modified previous post
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 05:59:57 AM by Sidd »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »
Unless the Alphonso was grown locally in the USA, the Fruit was probably irradiated and will not germinate anyways.

If you can find a Polyembryonic variety that you like, plant the seed and if you get more than one sprout, there is a good chance you can get lucky with a clone.

If you’re just looking for a good rootstock, Kent Mangos make good rootstocks but you’ll have to graft with a named  variety to guarantee good fruit.

Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:26:18 PM »
Sid, my understanding is that "Manila" is commonly used as root stock in California, so you can either buy seedlings already started or just buy some locally grown Manila fruit, and plant the seeds.   Florida root stock ( generally Turpentine )  does very poorly here in the DR.  and have read it does not do well there in California,  couple years ago or so, I planted a Manila seed,  and I have never seen any other local variety grow so fast.   I intend to use that tree as a source of fruit for seeds,  the fruit is not bad also. 

It's so much easier to just go out and buy/order a Alphonso tree,  but I understand many want to start from scratch and do it themselves.  it is exciting to start your own seedling and graft onto it.   you still need access to Alphonso scions though.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Sidd

• California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
Sid, my understanding is that "Manila" is commonly used as root stock in California, so you can either buy seedlings already started or just buy some locally grown Manila fruit, and plant the seeds.   Florida root stock ( generally Turpentine )  does very poorly here in the DR.  and have read it does not do well there in California,  couple years ago or so, I planted a Manila seed,  and I have never seen any other local variety grow so fast.   I intend to use that tree as a source of fruit for seeds,  the fruit is not bad also. 

It's so much easier to just go out and buy/order a Alphonso tree,  but I understand many want to start from scratch and do it themselves.  it is exciting to start your own seedling and graft onto it.   you still need access to Alphonso scions though.

Hi Tropic,

Thanks for the info, I've also heard that Manila rootstocks tend to be better in California from another grower. Could I ask where you found your Manila seeds? I'm having trouble locating online stores that sells seeds in particular, since most want to sell either scions or small trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk