Author Topic: Vegetative propagation from fruit tissue?  (Read 7341 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Vegetative propagation from fruit tissue?
« on: September 16, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Just curious: what other fruit, besides pineapple, can be vegetatively propagated from purchased fruit? This post about a yellow dragonfruit with a tiny stub of vine on it got me thinking. That particular case is only marginally interesting, because it doesn't happen very often.

But could the stem of an apple or pear be induced to root? What if it had a leaf on it?

What type of tissue is typically used for tissue culture propagation?

(let's leave patent issues for a separate thread and just talk about what's biologically possible)

Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetative propagation from fruit tissue?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:51:23 PM »
But could the stem of an apple or pear be induced to root? What if it had a leaf on it?
(let's leave patent issues for a separate thread and just talk about what's biologically possible)

https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/K-12/TeachersGuide/PlantBiotechnology/Pages/Activity5.aspx

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
I've seen posts where small twigs and leaves were left on the citrus. This was carefully removed and grafted onto a mother plant.  The graft took, but I'm not sure if it produced anything after that.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »

Yes and no, in a traditional propagation system using rooting hormones. The stem need to have enough energy to grow roots which it's hardly possible with a stem form store. Stores also spray with fungicides and preservatives which inhibit growth.. From a leaf no.

The best tissue and simplest it's meristem which contains undifferentiated cells.
Virtually all parts of the plant can be used to cloning via callus induction. Even from a single viable cell, but this requires expensive equipment and special techniques. Each plant has a different need and requires chemicals to be used.

For instance it's possible to take a lime from store and grow callus form it, then shoots and finally root the shoots. Or use the shoots and micrograft them to a rootstock.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
https://www.apsnet.org/edcenter/K-12/TeachersGuide/PlantBiotechnology/Pages/Activity5.aspx

Very interesting! Amazon has this kit for the reasonable price of $64, but there are zero reviews.

The best tissue and simplest it's meristem which contains undifferentiated cells.
Virtually all parts of the plant can be used to cloning via callus induction. Even from a single viable cell, but this requires expensive equipment and special techniques. Each plant has a different need and requires chemicals to be used.

For instance it's possible to take a lime from store and grow callus from it, then shoots and finally root the shoots. Or use the shoots and micrograft them to a rootstock.

Very very interesting. So this can be done with lime skin? Or which part of a purchased lime? So would this be possible from a mango skin or piece of stem?

Who here has experience doing tissue culture? Thanks!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

JandJPalms

• Kilauea, Kauai HI Z11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 06:55:00 PM »

Very interesting! Amazon has this kit for the reasonable price of $64, but there are zero reviews.

For instance it's possible to take a lime from store and grow callus from it, then shoots and finally root the shoots. Or use the shoots and micrograft them to a rootstock.

Very very interesting. So this can be done with lime skin? Or which part of a purchased lime? So would this be possible from a mango skin or piece of stem?

I did some tissue culture work as part of my Masters degree project (selected loblolly pine cultivars).  I'm surprised to see a kit offered for general use, as what struck me the most about tissue culture production is the absolute need for a sterile environment. It is easiest to keep things sterile in a laboratory, where you can work under dust removing hoods and keep an alcohol flame burning to sterilize your cutting tools.  Your agar medium starts out sterile but it's so easy to introduce unwanted organisms to it as you transfer your plant tissues.  I had issues with keeping sterile even in a lab - I can't imagine trying to do it at my house.  That said, I must say I am intrigued by the kit for sale and might even buy one!  :-)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »

I did some tissue culture work as part of my Masters degree project (selected loblolly pine cultivars).  I'm surprised to see a kit offered for general use, as what struck me the most about tissue culture production is the absolute need for a sterile environment. It is easiest to keep things sterile in a laboratory, where you can work under dust removing hoods and keep an alcohol flame burning to sterilize your cutting tools.  Your agar medium starts out sterile but it's so easy to introduce unwanted organisms to it as you transfer your plant tissues.  I had issues with keeping sterile even in a lab - I can't imagine trying to do it at my house.  That said, I must say I am intrigued by the kit for sale and might even buy one!  :-)

Please do, it'd be nice to get one of the people on here that know what they're doing to test it out.  I peaked into the lab at Epcot once, it looks an awful lot like the equipment they had.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »

Yes and no, in a traditional propagation system using rooting hormones. The stem need to have enough energy to grow roots which it's hardly possible with a stem form store. Stores also spray with fungicides and preservatives which inhibit growth.. From a leaf no.

For instance it's possible to take a lime from store and grow callus form it, then shoots and finally root the shoots. Or use the shoots and micrograft them to a rootstock.

That was more or less what I was thinking.  I would think that while technically possible, it's pretty improbable and would have to be done under perfect conditions to even have a chance. 

I took the tour at Epcot and got to peek into the lab like I said above, the conditions there are as sterile as any medical lab, and they have a lot of specialized equipment.  If you get the chance, I highly recommend taking the tour, I was at Orlando of course. 
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »

I'm getting excited just reading about this  ;) .

So what types of fruit tissues could be used for starting a tissue culture?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:42:10 AM »
I have a whole library of tissue culture protocols.
It's also possible to do it at home if you use antibiotics and biocides with the warning that you will produce bacteria which in time will be devastating and resistant to any antibiotics and chemicals and also could pose a health risk and plant mutations. There are many youtube tutorials.
For fun and hobby to do it once it's okay.
Be aware that the chemicals break down under room conditions and light, so those stored on Amazon might be expired. Sigma aldrich has the best quality.

Which plant do you want to experiment with? Maybe I can give the protocol.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 01:33:30 PM »
Hmmm. I was thinking about this more generically, for cases where we buy a fruit from a market, and love it, and want to clone it, but the variety is either unknown, or unavailable as a plant.

Mangos imported from India would be my first candidate.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »
You picked the hardest to clone. Mangoes are not being TC.
There are few protocols but mortality rate is the highest. The roots are very weak and adaption to in vivo conditions is very poor.
To clone mango first you need to become an expert. First time attempt is a 100 % failure.
You can try to clone plants from meristem for beginning.
To form callus and shoots from fruit you need expert skills and techniques which you clearly don't have.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 12:15:53 PM »
Am i remembering right that some mango, or some embryos, in the seed are a genetkc copy?  I remember reading something to that afect but forgot.

I think as mentioned, grafting and tc.  Cactus are generally easy to do areole grafts.  Get some pereskiopsis groqing.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »
You picked the hardest to clone. Mangoes are not being TC.
Ah, that's a shame. I will have to wait for science to catch up to my aspirations. Then again, genetic testing was once prohibitively expensive, and now you can get it done for $99, or $68 if you're a dog.

What about coconuts?

On a related note, are there any good ways to get sanitized, viable, culturable material from outside the U.S. back into the U.S. without endangering U.S. agriculture and without violating U.S. import regulations? e.g. if I eat the world's greatest specimen of Fruit X in Thailand, are there any legal options for bringing tissue back for cloning?

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 03:17:17 PM »
Your aspirations are possible but you lack the know-how.
Coconuts can be TC. In fact coconut water was used in the beginning as a propagation medium and still used in some developing countries.
About the legal issues in US I have no idea. But I guess nobody stops you to bring twigs of plants to TC. This is largely an unregulated market and many people including authorities have no idea what is about. The future will not be good, regulation will come, like in EU they stated that CRISP techniques of gene improvement are mutants. So the plants with engineered DNA are now GMOs.
Agristarts in US do a most of tropical TC. You can look at them what you could try in the lab.

TheWaterbug

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »
Your aspirations are possible but you lack the know-how.

Oh, I know that I don't know. I'm just wondering what's possible, and hoping that someone else can actually do it ;-)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
I need to find out how to do Vegetative propagation from the fruit tissue of Dragon Fruit.

If anyone can provide the details, it will be greatly appreciated.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »
I need to find out how to do Vegetative propagation from the fruit tissue of Rambutan (a variety of Lychee).

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »
I need to find out how to do Vegetative propagation from the fruit tissue of Avocado.

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 04:07:13 AM »
Checkout APHIS.  Virtually all live plant material will at the very least require phytosanitary certificate and an.import permit from USDA.  Cultures can.often.be bought, but takes some know how and equipment to get plants from slime.  Not too tricky, but far more time consuming and expensive than.grafting.  plus the exporting country may have laws limiting the export of certain species.  Thailand does for some fruit such as durian.I believe.  Now is also the age of patented varieties.

TC plants are the go for orchards and large farms as one came it cannot be outdone for speed.   But not much.practical use as a hobby.  Unless you're enjoying doing it, then by all means!

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 02:44:39 PM »
To Kada: Thank You for your wonderful reply and pointing me in the right direction.

I’m sure I’m not the only fruit propagation individual that would just love to expand the Fruit Propagation Hobby into this Specialized Vegetative Propagation tech field.

I consider this would be an important first step towards a layman’s Genetic Engineering Vegetative Propagation

Prices have come down quite a lot in this field. I need step by step inexpensive instructions & methods for Vegetative Propagation.