Author Topic: Soursop - lots of flowers, but no fruit.  (Read 2167 times)

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Soursop - lots of flowers, but no fruit.
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:54:24 AM »
My soursop tree has only fruited once before.  And the fruit was very small and fell off even before ripening.  At any given time, this tree has at least 5-6 flowers.  Right now, there are more than 10 flowers.  I even tried to hand pollinate once, but it was a failure.  None of them form fruits. 

As it had already set fruit once, could I safely assume that there is no issue with pollination?  Please help. 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop - lots of flowers, but no fruit.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:40:38 AM »
Those may be two fruit sets to the left of the flower--- it is too soon to tell.

Even after proper pollination, the tree must steadily have enough water and it must be well mineralized: if it is slightly deficient in Boron and Zinc, most or all young fruit sets will abort, even while the leaves have enough to look perfectly healthy.
Har

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:30:25 AM »
Those may be two fruit sets to the left of the flower--- it is too soon to tell.

Even after proper pollination, the tree must steadily have enough water and it must be well mineralized: if it is slightly deficient in Boron and Zinc, most or all young fruit sets will abort, even while the leaves have enough to look perfectly healthy.

When you mentioned about aborting, is it after some kind of fruit sets or even before that?  After that first fruit aborted, I have never seen a single fruit set on this tree.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »

That must be why my tree didn't set any fruit this year, but had a lot last year.  Thanks, Har.
John

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
Abortion occurs at any stage of immaturity of fruits, from flower petal drop on; or, after failure to set fruit, if one prefers to make that distinction.
Har

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »

Could you please give some natural sources of these two - boron and zinc?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:57:47 AM »
With Chennai being coastal you should look at seaweed for natural micronutrients

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
Chennai does not have tropical weather like Florida and rest of the tropics. Chennai gets rain like rest of india in early summer to end of summer. Soursop thrives in tropical weather. Its probably the same reason Florida cannot fruit Cherimoya? could be.

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Chennai does not have tropical weather like Florida and rest of the tropics. Chennai gets rain like rest of india in early summer to end of summer. Soursop thrives in tropical weather. Its probably the same reason Florida cannot fruit Cherimoya? could be.

behlgarden, I'm confused.  Are you saying it will fruit or not fruit in Chennai?

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:18 PM »

behlgarden, I'm confused.  Are you saying it will fruit or not fruit in Chennai?

what I am saying that Chennai may not have the climate to support Sour Sop fruit. Its very difficult to grow in California and we grow Cherimoya just fine, Florida cant grow cherimoya but grow soursop and atemoya just fine. Do you get rain showers throughout the year like tropical areas?

shafak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
No.  It's seasonal.  From mid-October to mid-December.  Occasional and infrequent rain in August and September.

what I am saying that Chennai may not have the climate to support Sour Sop fruit. Its very difficult to grow in California and we grow Cherimoya just fine, Florida cant grow cherimoya but grow soursop and atemoya just fine. Do you get rain showers throughout the year like tropical areas?

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »

Could you please give some natural sources of these two - boron and zinc?

Does Osmocote Plus have sufficient Boron (.02%)and Zinc (.05%) to satisfy the need for the young fruit sets? If not, would you recommend what we can use? Thanks!
Sam

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Those amounts of Boron and Zinc might be enough for maintenance, but extra will be needed to correct an existing deficiency.

There are a great number of micro-nutrient mixes, as powder or liquid, available in local stores or on the internet.  It is usually just fine to use a full mix containing all or most of the micro-nutrients, including Manganese and Iron and Copper, and trace nutrients such as Molybdenum, Nickel, and Cobalt.  Follow label suggestions.
Har

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:50:15 PM »
Chennai is as tropical as it gets, no issue there. Perfect for soursop. Not sure how this topic even could come up.

As per last Guanabanus post, I definitely think it's better to give full spectrum nutrients to avoid disbalances. Generally South India a bit similar to SL, where every minor town has agricultural shop. 
I see best improvements with foliar sprays. Generally I get like 5-8 choices. Similar set up should be in Tamil Nadu. It should have major elements listed and short analysis of trace elements. Sometimes label just says NPK with TE (trace elements). I generally go for organic concentrates with kelp or German made foliar spray powders with full spectrum of macros. I try to avoid US made foliar concentrates, as they have loose standards for heavy metals in such products.
Not sure if this would help with fruiting. Maybe simply pollination problem. Most of South India has good fertile soil.

Edit: label should say water soluble.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:52:34 PM by DurianLover »