Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Fungal infect on mango, or something else?

(1/1)

The_Last_Saxon:

As the title implies, I'm having trouble with growing mangoes from seed indoors. (I live too far north to grow them outside). I have no trouble getting them to sprout and grow. But by the time they put out their third or fourth whirl of leaves, the trouble begins. As seen in the pics, a spot on the leaves discolour and begins to dry out/crisp. Eventually most of the leaf "turns" and then drops off. This continues until the young mango dies.

Any advice / tips / remedies?
Any help at all? It's really frustrating getting the mango to grow, reach ~16-18 inches, than watch it due. :/

Thanks for the reply. Have a good day. Cheers.
🙏

CA Hockey:
If you’re  growing indoors, I wonder if it’s drying out (indoors at my house has very low humidity) or it’s getting overwatered and it’s dying from the distal ends where the roots can no longer support the growth. Fungal infection could be a possibility but at thleast end of the day I wonder if it’s root related.

The_Last_Saxon:

--- Quote from: CA Hockey on September 22, 2018, 05:47:43 PM ---If you’re  growing indoors, I wonder if it’s drying out (indoors at my house has very low humidity) or it’s getting overwatered and it’s dying from the distal ends where the roots can no longer support the growth. Fungal infection could be a possibility but at thleast end of the day I wonder if it’s root related.

--- End quote ---

Over watering would be more likely than drying out. How dry should I let mangoes get between watering. ?

CA Hockey:
i would check daily and stick your finger in the soil. If it feels damp then you’re still good. If it looks damp but you can slide your finger into the soil without encountering much moisture then I would water. You can always water from the bottom up in pots (self irrigation).

If you have several seedlings you can experiment with different watering schedules to see what works best for you. Maybe consider starting weekly... but just remember there are other factors such as amount of foliage (increases plant water loss) and heater being on (will also increase water loss)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version