Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Poncirus juice resin settling procedure?

(1/3) > >>

Citradia:
Someone posted recently about putting poncirus juice overnight in a glass ( I presume in refrigerator) to let the resin or poncyrus nastiness to separate from the juice, and then you’re left with good juice. How do you separate the nasty layer from the good? Is the nastiness floating on top? Do you scoop it out with a spoon? I can’t find the post about it.

Ilya11:
The turpentine oils will be at bottom, you can gently pour a top layer  to obtain  juice. It is better to do it in a refrigerator, prior dilution with water also helps.
 Alternatively, you can  apply the method  that is used to get rid of yeast residues in the production of champagne wine: keep the juice in a closed bottle in reversed position and then freeze the  oily part by the immersion into ice/salt mixture. The  frozen sediment can be  easily extracted. 

Citradia:
Thanks Ilya11!  I noticed this morning that half of the juice in the glass is dark on bottom and lighter on top half of glass. So half of the juice we extract from poncirus is “turpentine “.  Is it really turpentine? Like what they get from pine trees? Is it flammable? For a while I was wondering if I needed to use paint thinner to clean the sticky thick resin off of my orange reamer and knife I used to extract the poncirus juice. It finally came off with soapy water and wiping hard/ pulling the gunk off with a wet paper towel. I saw reference to the poncirus resin being “poisonous “. Is it poison?

Citradia:
Poncirus  juice extracted yesterday and darker juice settled to bottom overnight in refrigerator. Top layer tastes very bitter but may be able to drink small amount with added sugar.

Ilya11:
Sediment looks like pine resin with turpentine, I do not believe it is poisonous, but this is what principally makes poncirus fruits nonedible.
 Bitter taste is due to the presence of   poncirin, that is also present in the juice of grapefruit.
Specific odor that many people consider nasty is post probably due to poncirus specific sulfur containing volatiles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version