Author Topic: Anyone growing Oroblanco?  (Read 1930 times)

Marj

• Savannah, GA, 8B
    • View Profile
Anyone growing Oroblanco?
« on: February 12, 2019, 03:05:19 AM »
I'm interested in trying Oroblanco fruit if anyone can send me one or two. I'll pay you for the postage. Or if you are growing this variety, when does the fruit ripen in your area and what do you think of its flavor and how well does it hold on the tree? All opinions welcome!

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing Oroblanco?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
Oroblanco seeds have been sold here in the past. You might wait until around November (when the fruits are in season) and check the listings here every few days.

(There won't always be the word "Oroblanco" in the thread title. Things like fruits and seeds can be very seasonal, so it may be more practical for you to check all the listings during the appropriate season. I've offered to send Oroblanco seeds out for free in the past, so you should have responded then in the past)

Marj

• Savannah, GA, 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:48:58 PM »
Thanks. At this point I'd like to taste the fruit, to know if the variety is one worth growing, and I'd like to know the seasons when it is ready, particularly in the Southeast. I'm in Savannah, where it might ripen at a different time from CA.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
Yes, it taste good, but Melogold is better and more sweeter than Oroblanco.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »
Yes, it taste good, but Melogold is better and more sweeter than Oroblanco.
From everything I've read, Oroblanco is supposed to have better flavor and slightly less bitterness than Melogold. Melogold is just a better commercial variety due to visual appearance. But I'll just say that may not necessarily be true, without going into the detail of explaining it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
I have both trees which fruit about the same time and have given the fruits to others to try. Majority of the people that have eaten them say the Melogold is the better tasting and does not need any sugar since its so sweet. My Melogold has no bitterness to me. I had the trees with fruits for over 8 years now.