Author Topic: Does my citrus have HLB?  (Read 2134 times)

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
Does my citrus have HLB?
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
When we moved into our new place there were many preexisting citrus trees several of which were not in good shape. One tree in particular hasn’t improved since we started taking care of it. A friend recently told me it might be huanglongbing which I knew little about and was unaware exists in Hawaii. If it is infected with HLB I will be getting rid of it immediately but I want a second opinion before doing so. What do you guys think? Also if it is HLB how quickly does it spread?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Does my citrus have HLB?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:01 PM »
HLB definitely exists in Hawaii.  I was at a nursery there a few years ago and overheard the owner talking about the disease.

I can’t say for sure if your plants have it.  Somebody else may be able to answer

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
The mottling/blotching sure looks like it since its so random and non symmetrical across the leaves.

Its hard to tell without knowing the history of the tree, pesticide use, fertilizer, watering, soil, etc.

Seen any bugs on it? Fertilizing it with micronutrients?

I have had a few trees with HLB and they looked very similar to that, albeit the leaves weren't as yellow and there were other symptoms too.

The disease can only be spread from tree to tree by the psyllid.  From what I have read, HLB doesn't seem to be in Hawaii yet (maybe the articles are old?). However you can probably contact your local ag extension or something like this: http://agrosecurityhawaii.com/new-page if you are worried. You can send them samples or they can come out and take a look. This might be the best course of action to help potentially prevent the spread of disease across Hawaii.

http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/pests-and-diseases/diseases/citrus-greening-faq.html :

"HLB is caused by a bacterium which is transmitted from tree to tree by the Asian citrus psyllid. Psyllids become infected with the HLB bacterium by feeding on an infected tree. When the psyllid moves on to feed on an uninfected tree, the HLB bacterium is transmitted to the uninfected tree. There have also been documented cases of HLB transmitted by grafting, although this form of transmission is far less common.

The movement of infected trees also contributes to the spread of HLB. While the Asian citrus psyllid is the only way the bacterium can be transmitted from tree to tree, moving an infected tree can bring the bacteria into an area where it did not previously exist. From there, the Asian citrus psyllid will be able to spread the disease further."

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 05:02:45 PM »
Buy a test or look the forum, once I posted a cheap method to identify HLB using iodine.

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 05:21:45 PM »
Would you mind to furnish the reference to this test using iodine ? (Foum, topic & date)

Thanks

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
Would you mind to furnish the reference to this test using iodine ? (Foum, topic & date)

Thanks

It's not so difficult to do some search on the forum.  ;D

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=30203.0

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »
Thanks guys for the help and info.

Poofy I don’t know the history of the tree since it was planted way before I moved in. All I know is it’s a lemon tree. I am assuming Meyer but thats a guess. I have been spraying it regularly with neem oil and fertilizing it regularly with Espoma citrus fertilizer. It responded a little to that but not like the other citrus trees. Thank you so much for the link to Agrosecurity Hawaii. Several sites online state that HLB is in Hawaii but hawaii ag said we have ACP but no HLB   :)

Lebmung thanks for the info on iodine testing. I will try that later today. Hawaii ag will test my trees too just Incase. I’m hoping my poor little tree is just nutrient deprived rather than diseased. At least I can fix that.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Jessg333, its your tree and you certainly can care for your tree as you wish.  However, citrus are very heavy feeders requiring more nutrition than other types of trees.  I can tell you your tree will do much much much better using a conventional fertilizer.  Citrus absorb nutrition in a ratio of 5-1-3, meaning 5 parts nitrogen, 1 part phosphorous and 3 parts potassium.  Therefore, what ever fertilizer you chose to use be sure it is highest in nitrogen and potassium.  The best to you and your tree.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:40:34 PM by Millet »

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:17:56 AM »
I've been feeding my citrus with 6-4-6  :'(

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 04:42:42 AM »
Thank Millet. I was hoping to stay all organic, but seeing that the lemon tree isn’t responding well I will be switching over to conventional fertilizer as you suggested. Thanks for the fertilizer ratio. Good to know

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Milorganite is 6-4-0, you could use that & add a few things to get close.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 08:57:09 PM »
Milorganite is 6-4-0, you could use that & add a few things to get close.

When I was younger (70s/80s) my father only put Milorganite on our trees I believe and bag the grass clippings and spread them under the drip line. The trees were incredible and the oranges were the size of the grapefruit these days and the grapefruit were enormous.