Author Topic: Tropical (Thai) Cherry tree  (Read 8216 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Tropical (Thai) Cherry tree
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:33:55 AM »
Today i bought a nice Thai Cherry tree ( which is a plum actually i guess).

It is about 6 feet (175cm) and i want to plant it in a huge pot. When i saw the roots they were all going around in the pot, it was totally white.

Should i pull the roots more loose before planting or just plant it this way?

And does this tree special fertilisers to make the cherry more sweet? They taste like raspberry by the way, i like them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tropical (Thai) Cherry tree
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:00 AM »
Today i bought a nice Thai Cherry tree ( which is a plum actually i guess).

It is about 6 feet (175cm) and i want to plant it in a huge pot. When i saw the roots they were all going around in the pot, it was totally white.

Should i pull the roots more loose before planting or just plant it this way?

And does this tree special fertilisers to make the cherry more sweet? They taste like raspberry by the way, i like them.

First we need to figure out what a Thai cherry tree really is? Do you have any photos?
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:46:10 AM »
You definitely should not plant it as is.  It sounds like the roots would break if you tried to spread them out if the entire thing looks white.  I would just shave off all those sideways-growing roots, prune a bad branch off the tree to compensate, and plant.  If there is a larger root on the bottm, bent sideways, bend it downward, if a large root is on the side, bend it away from the plant.

Do you have a photo of the tree or the fruit?  I wonder what a Thai Cherry is.
'

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
I think it is this one http://pad4thai.exteen.com/20090908/entry-1

Yesterday it had flowers as on this pic but now they are gone by transporting it and replanting i guess

I bought it in a 20 litre pot and the rootball was very white and the roots go all around, no space in between them.
 I planted it allready but i guess i will have to do that over again to open up the roots. The roots are very brittle and break easy when i touched them so i just planted it.There was no big root to see, all had the same size and go around.

If i dig it out to open up the rootball should i just try to straighten them a little even if they break of? And if i cut a branche of then hould it be one in the middle so the tree opens up more? Now the branches are so close that the birds cannot steal my cherry's, i like that haha.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:16:49 PM »

Hi bangkok,

Is it Acerola tree? I guess...

http://herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/acerola-cherry.html#
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 03:22:54 AM »
The young foliage can make you dance and scratch as well.I was given seeds of wild Manilkara kauki today and I know they extend right into thailand.Before I saw the tree pix that is what I would have guessed the cherry to be without the pix.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 04:09:53 AM »
i quite enjoy wongai, especially semi dry.
they grow quite well for me here. Not sure how long to flower or fruit though.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:49:45 AM »
Okay thanks all for the info. I have not eaten a cherry from my own tree because the birds got the nice red one. I ate them last week somewhere and they tasted good, not very sweet but very fresh and like raspberry. They have 3 seeds in them so it must be the Acerola then.

I replanted the tree and spreaded the roots, did some pruning and put it back in the pot. The terrace is under construction but when it is finished i will make some nice pics. In the other pot was lychee and longan but they did not like the iron-chelate drenching that i did to them before planting and look terrible. I took it out for the Anonna sugarapple.

I hope my wife starts dancing like that from the cherry's haha but i admit they make you feel fresh. We have enough very sweet fruits so this one fits in well.

Can i graft other species on this tree? All my tree's are multigrafted but for the cherry i never see them on the markets.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:18 PM »

The acelor cherry tree is susceptible to nematods and this tagetes plant can destroy them.

Is it a good idea to plant a tagetes in the pot with my acelor cherry tree? My tree looks fine though but does not flower since i bought it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »

The acelor cherry tree is susceptible to nematods and this tagetes plant can destroy them.

Is it a good idea to plant a tagetes in the pot with my acelor cherry tree? My tree looks fine though but does not flower since i bought it.

That should be acerola cherry, also called barbados cherry. Some types of marigold do repel nematodes, but not all. You should search for ones specifically known to repel nematodes. Have not had nematode problem with acerola in Hawaii.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
Thanks Oscar, you are right about the name as well.

The Surinam Cherry is called the Spain Cherry here in Thailand but i have the Barbados Cherry. My tree does not flower anymore but i think it has to get used to the new home and circumstances.

Nomad

• United States.Florida, Loxahatchee,10-A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
I also have a surinum cherry. Not a big fan of it. Gives me heartburn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk