Author Topic: Daun Salam (Eugenia polyantha) seeds fresh from Java  (Read 2511 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Daun Salam (Eugenia polyantha) seeds fresh from Java
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
Some of you Myrtaceae enthusiasts may have heard about this difficult to find ingredient in Indonesian and Malaysian food.  I noticed it in the banana flower soup I was just eating and the cook says that there are fruit on the tree now.  It was not the fruit in the soup.  The fruit is eaten but is even less enjoyable than Syzygium cumini.  The part of the tree that is used is the leaf.  Sometimes Western cooks replace it with European Bay Leaf (wrong) or the Indian Bay Leaf used in North Indian cooking (wrong again).  To make matters more confusing, one of the English names for Daun Salam is Indian Bay Leaf.  These seeds I can get are the real thing... so if any of you want to take your Myrtaceae collection off the rails and into edible leaves for authentic Indonesian food, then let me know in the next 3 days before we leave Java. 
My wife's mother found about 30 or 40 seeds under the tree.  I want 10 for myself.  The rest we can sell for USD 9 for 10 seeds..  See my other post selling Salak Pondoh for an estimate of the shipping.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:47:22 PM by red durian »

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
Re: Daun Salam (Eugenia polyantha) seeds fresh from Java
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
I got seed in Jawa in late 80's. Tastes nothing like bay leaf ! Myrtle rust arrived two years ago and this species is HIGHLY  susceptible... to the point where overtime could well lose the trees
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk