Author Topic: Passionfruit seeds wanted (very sweet ones)  (Read 5210 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Passionfruit seeds wanted (very sweet ones)
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
I am looking for seeds from a nice big sweet passionfruit to grow in my garden in Bangkok.

In return i can send you something from Thailand or just pay you for the effort.

I am growing some seeds now and they are sprouting but now i regret that i do not have the nice sweet one. I looked all over the city but cannot find the real things so i try it this way. The one that i have is also called sweet but i want the real sweet ones.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit seeds wanted (very sweet ones)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:18:24 AM »
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/passionfruit.htm
This nursery has sweet types.In bangkok you really want panama red,yellow or gold.You'll be doing cartwheels down Suhmkuvit road after trying them.PM your address and I'll send some after Xmas or maybe before if I get the chance.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
I sent you a pm Mike!

Cartwheels at Sukhumvit-road? Well i drive a motorbike in Bkk but i have never been on Sukhumvit with it and making wheely's i also have never tried with it. Today i got lost in traffic and was close to Sukhumvit (i guess) because it was sooo busy and jammed on the roads, i was happy to be out of that ants-nest again.

I will still grow the passionflower-seeds that i have now but on the watertank in the back of the house. Then the water stays more cool and i have nice flowers and fruits which are not  sweet. Only 1 sprouted out of 10 so far but maybe the rest will follow soon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »
Sweet ones look like sour ones except maybe more orange inside.

Bass

• Pennsylvania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:40 PM »
Mike, I Was in Sydney a few years ago and I really enjoyed a black or really dark passion fruit sold there in the market. It was very sweet and really would love to get my hands on some of these seeds again. Would you know what variety that bears sweet black ones in Australia?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
Heya Bass.While those seeds I will dig up for Bangkok are the tropical Passiflore edulis flavicarpa the types you are referring to is Passiflora edulis edulis which is warm temperate to sub tropical.The black sweet ones come in maybe 15 common varieties and they grow true from seed.You probably tried misty gem as they dominate the supermarkets and backyards of Sydney.The nursery link I posted describes misty gem.Just by coincidence I have one in my fruitbowl at the moment.

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/passionfruit.htm
This nursery has sweet types.In bangkok you really want panama red,yellow or gold.You'll be doing cartwheels down Suhmkuvit road after trying them.PM your address and I'll send some after Xmas or maybe before if I get the chance.

mat rempit fly

Mike, "cartwheels" is it like the motorist in the youtube above?  ;D
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:09:54 AM »
http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-passionfruit.html

This is a nice link about passionfruit and some more fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_18192.htm

The govt guides commercial growers of many fruits including passioinfruit.You can dig into various sections.There is limited info on varieties.As a general rule the very sweet hybrids like sweet cheecks,nelly kelly and norfolk black are not always true from seed and can throw back to sour types.Standard improved blacks like the fabulous misty gem are completely true to type.Of the flavicarpas the panama series (red,purple,yellow and gold) and african yellow as well as many others are all true.Passionfruit are extemely popular in NZ and Australia and it is a common flavor in yogurt,thickshakes,icecreams,cakes,soda pop (passiona),cocktails,pavlovas and many other foods.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
Bangkok and Bass

I picked up some misty gem edulis and some panama flavicarpa today.I could not find any yellow panamas.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 02:36:57 AM »

Bangkok the seedling vine of the red panama I gave my brother early this year has been producing madly.Now his freezer is full he brought 70 of them for me today.They are extra sweet and musky and better than the panama purple and misty gem i got this morning from the market.Not many fruit plants could be so productive so quickly.The pic above was taken 5 minutes ago.Interestingly a proportion of ripe fruit are yellow. 

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
Wow that looks awesome Mike! Those things are huge and look so fresh. Did you pick these of the plant of wait untill they fall?  I did not look in this section for a while  because my bookmark goes to the tropical fruit discussion site.

I will grow the passionfruit in the full soil but it is heavy clay. I am thinking of raising that piece of the garden with a 25 cm of compost and mulch or i can grow it in a big pot which has big holes in the bottom. What do you think is best?

If my fruits are really sweet then i guess the people around me will also grow them and give them to family outside bangkok. Then they can spread fast over the country i think but you know how thai are, it must be sweet and easy to eat then they all want it.

Yesterday on the christmas bbq here in my house i showed them the passionflower which is blooming  now and they don;t know it. They are citypeople though but this fruit is not very common here.

I hope next christmas i can eat them, maybe more early.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:17 AM »
bangkok they are sweet before full colored and were picked from the vine.Some of the yellows are even sweeter and thge finest of all passionfruit in my humble opinion.When I next get a great tasting yellow flavicarpa I might send some of those seeds.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Grafting Passionfruit in the Northern Territory

I think i will start grafting on them when i have big vines.  A multi-grafted passionfruit around my carport will look great i think. I have multigrafted plumeria's, mango's, pomelo, jackfruit now so i have to try passionfruit as well.

That passionfruitplant that i bought for 50 baht is growing against a wall now and i think i will graft some other species on it later. The ones i seeded have 2 sprouted now (out of 12) and they grow very slow. They are still under 5 cm tall.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Bangkok the red,yellow and purple flavis are usually booming growers and there is no need to graft them due to their early vigour,productivity and disease resistance.More often edlis is grafted onto flavicarpa for disease resistance.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
Allright Mike, but the thing is if you send me many species then i want to grow all of them and i dont have space for that. I can have one big one in full soil, one at the carport but that one should not be to vigorous because my carport is stainless steel and cannot stand a heavy plant hanging on it ( it is made in Thailand not so solid) so i will grow it in a big pot. It should grow 3 metres high and then 4 meters wide that is enough.

Then i will grow some on the terrace in the back in pots over the watertank but that is stainless steel as well and get very warm in the sun but i will put some isolation foil under it to protect from the heat.

So maybe i will graft some for fun to have all species growing here. But if you only send me one species i am also happy.

The ones at the big fence and the carport will be for fruit and get full sun all day, the ones on the terrace have sun from 10-14 every day so if they only make flowers then i m also happy.

My grape is also growing against the carport on a stainless steel pole but the tentacles seem to burn off because of the heat. I put a thick nylon rope around the pole so it can grip on that and climb up. I will see if that works, if not i will put some teakwood strips on those poles so they can climb against that.

My wife still thinks that i cannot grow sweet passionfruit here so we will see who is right. She likes the flowers though and if they smell nice as well she will love them anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk