Author Topic: Green Mango in Asian Supermarkets  (Read 5097 times)

Wildom

• Corona, CA
    • View Profile
Green Mango in Asian Supermarkets
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
Hi,

I see mangos in Asian Supermarket (99 Ranch) labeled "Green Mango".
What variety are they?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Green Mango in Asian Supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
Pictures would help.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Keo Savoey or Kaew or Raed  or Man or Falan or many others.

Keo Savoey means green eating but it is also nice when it is ripe.

Wildom

• Corona, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
I bought 2 and i let it sit on the counter until soft with a little wrinkled skin.
The mango was so sour and nasty tasting i threw them away.

How do you post pics?

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
Yes that can happen, some of them are for use in asian salads like som tum .

Just ask the shopowner which mango is good for green eating. If they are too sour then they eat them with sugar and salt or chilipowder as well.

If they are very sour then that one is not for green eating, which species did you buy? Next time buy another species, not all mango's are nice green. Keausavoei can cost 3 us$ a kg here on the markets while still green and hard. In season they are much cheaper. For that price they are very nice green eating and of very good quality. If you eat too much of green mango's you might get gasses coming up....... :o

Wildom

• Corona, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:01:42 AM »
Here are two pics.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »
kents? early? irradiated?  :'(
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »
The varieties mostly grown in PR, for export are Keitt, Tommy Atkins, Parvin and Haden.   Keitt making up 80% of exports according to this report.
http://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ipmcenters.org%2Fcropprofiles%2Fdocs%2FPRmango.pdf&ei=db3hUOisB4-o8QTynoCQAg&usg=AFQjCNHHW0IKIyGLUuYSFE04uh1VRevpIA&sig2=53JbfzVJi0WHXbu3vtOBag&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&cad=rja]
[url]http://www.google.com.do/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFoQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ipmcenters.org%2Fcropprofiles%2Fdocs%2FPRmango.pdf&ei=db3hUOisB4-o8QTynoCQAg&usg=AFQjCNHHW0IKIyGLUuYSFE04uh1VRevpIA&sig2=53JbfzVJi0WHXbu3vtOBag&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&cad=rja
[/url]

Since Keitt is a dual purpose mango ( can be used at green stage ) I am guessing those are Keitts, they look a bit elongated but that's probably because they were picked before the shoulders filled out, which is when they are picked for being used "ripe".
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
Yes that can happen, some of them are for use in asian salads like som tum .

Just ask the shopowner which mango is good for green eating. If they are too sour then they eat them with sugar and salt or chilipowder as well.

If they are very sour then that one is not for green eating, which species did you buy? Next time buy another species, not all mango's are nice green. Keausavoei can cost 3 us$ a kg here on the markets while still green and hard. In season they are much cheaper. For that price they are very nice green eating and of very good quality. If you eat too much of green mango's you might get gasses coming up....... :o

I love your culinary posts, bangkok.  They are very helpful.   My wife is a big lover of green mangos.  She agrees that not all green mangos are good.  She likes hers "crunchy" ie; should make a sound when bitten,  with a mixture of starchiness and acidity.  She'll eat dipping in salt.  However, if the green mango is too acidic, she will let it sit salted for a while to draw liquid from the mango and then eat.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_18936.htm

The Qld Gov Ag Dept list the best eating green mangoes according to the above link.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »
The green mangoes shown are likely Keitt or Kent........although the shape and size of these pictured leave me less than 100% confident in my ID.  Both are usually more full shaped in relation to their length.  And for the record, neither is deserving of any superlatives when eaten green. Did you buy any, Wildom?  Any pictures of the inside?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »
If there are green mango's in an asian supermarket they must be for eating green i assume. If you don't like them then maybe it should be eaten with condiments (sugar, salt, dry chilipowder or a mix of these 3).
I only eat the green ones pure and if they taste bad i don't eat them at all. Yes they should be crunchy and not to sour.

If you let them ripen and the skin is getting wrinkled then the crispyness is also getting less.

Thai Food - Som Tum (Papaya Salad)

This is som tam salad they use a green papaya or green mango for this.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:05 AM »
That is spooky bangkok and that photo could have been taken in my place today with the fridge with photos in the background.Som tum was prepared here with the same ingredients (eg Tiparus brand fish sauce) but with crab,pdak and naranjilla as well.Even the mortar and pestle look the same.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:47:56 AM »
Do you also have a thai wife then Mike?

Yes they also use crab in som tam but i don't like them. They eat the whole crab it is soft shelled. Also the som tam is very spicy sometimes, too spicy for me.

To cut the papaya or mango in nice round slices they have a special tool for that but a big knife can also do it as this lady does.

Which fishsauce is the best i have no idea but i also want to know that. A restaurant close to my house makes his own and that one tastes very good.

Here we eat combinations of asian dishes, from many asian country's. I really like the dishes with fresh tropical herbs, fresh herbs taste far better then dried ones and are also very healthy. I just placed this video because Red Durian likes that and then i thought maybe many americans or other people have never seen how to prepare decent asian food so i would like to show them. I know this is not a cookingsite so if people get annoyed by me placing cookingvideo's then please let me know and i will stop that. I just like to show people how asians eat.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 03:32:42 AM »
I cooked with "Four A" fish sauce today, so I guess I am the odd man out.  I chose it because it was the cheapest.  Thanks for the video! In East Java they make something almost identical: Rujak Gobet.   They must use mango in their recipe, shrimp paste subs for the combination of fish sauce and chicken stock, and palm sugar and water are also included.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:55:28 AM by red durian »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 03:41:21 AM »
Yes Bangkok.I am surprized to see the chicken stock powder and glad to see no MSG went in.Asian naranjillas can used like tamarinds for many.I am also surprized to see a tahitian lime being used.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
Well Mike i didn't see this video before i placed it but i m sure the chickenbouillon-powder has msg in it. I didn't know they use that powder in pokpok actually. Thai like to cook with a lot of msg and it is sold in big bags in the supermarkets.

So you also have a thai wife, now i understand why you know so much about Thailand.

Wildom

• Corona, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
Hi Harry,

I don't have any pics of the inside but when i ate it, it was really light yellow and really sour.  I probably ate less than 1/2 and threw it away and i didn't even open the 2nd green mango.

I just bought these kents (as labeled on the box).

These kents are different from the 'green mango'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk