Author Topic: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online  (Read 149294 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Online
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2014, 11:07:25 AM »
Sadly, here in Brazil we donīt have options to build these fruits online. Only "normal" fruits (or ;)ange, pear, apple...) are available.
But you guys have so much more wonderful tropical fruits locally, so you're not missing too much  ;)

Sure we have, but unhappyness they arenīt comercialized.
Of the 20 most consumed fruits here in Brazil, only three are native to our country: pineapple, guava and passion fruit. Even jabuticaba gets off this list, although it is comercialized normally.
All the rest of our fruits is treated as exotic and comercialized at high prices, when found... In fact, is relatively easy to find lichia, rambutan, mangosten and others, but grumixamas, pitangatubas, saputás and all the others... Thereīs no signal.
Could be some are hard to grow/find/propagate/takes too long to produce or maybe they just don't handle transporting to well?

It's the same for everyplace, even if they can grow most things, they still want to import from someplace else. I think it's cheapest to buy from local vendors, where the fruits is actually grown and harvested, small village markets, side/street stalls, where not so many tourist travel.Where ever they're  tourist, it's always going to be more.

Again, I think most Eugenia fruit species are very perishable, so maybe that's why they aren't sold very often. But they do grow natively, so I guess if you know how the tree looks like, you can probably go harvest some your self when in season.

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
Yes, Thao, all that you wrote is true in some degree.

Some arenīt hard to grow/find/propagate, donīt takes too long to produce and can handle transporting. And you could comercialize frozen pulp of the ones that canīt handle transporting. The vast majority of brazilians donīt know the native fruits, and I think the actual situation is a result of colonization and imported culture. So, the native fruits remained almost forgotten for a long time.

To say the truth, actually there is a crescent interest in the native fruits here, and a few are being produced or at least collected from the nature, as the uvaia for example. Brazil is a big country, and it also makes difficult to find/ to know all the fruits. Regionally itīs easier, but still, is hard to find them. :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:23 AM »
If you think situation is bad in Brazil you should try finding some of the very easy to find products in Brazil in the USA, like ice creams made of acai, cupuacu, mangaba, nance, soursop, etc. Or juices and wines of jaboticaba, cupucacu, and cashew, which are very easy to find in Brazil. It seems to me that in Brazil there is very good selection of processed products from lesser known fruits, but very hard to get them fresh, unless you go to Belem or Bahia, and even then very few vendors have them. Selection of fresh fruits in big cities like Rio de Janeiro are, like you say, very disappointing.
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
Organic White Sapote available now

http://southcoastorganic.com/Page3.html

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
All kinds of tropical fruit shipped from Redlands, FL
Yes, they will ship you fresh FL Mango.

http://www.localharvest.org/store/M26409

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
Mmmmmmm Fresh shipped June Plum  ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
Here's a link for buying amazing organic stone fruits and many varieties including Pluots and Apriums.

http://froghollow.myshopify.com/pages/our-organic-fruit

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2015, 05:34:56 PM »
Here's a link for buying amazing organic stone fruits and many varieties including Pluots and Apriums.

Really nice selection........a bit pricey.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 07:26:36 PM »

Yeah, that's how I feel about the fruit I can purchase online and have shipped from Florida.
I think it's the name of the game for online fruit retailers but when your dreaming of a fruit you have no other way to taste , it can be worth that premium. Frog Hollow is expensive even farmers market direct $3.90 pd. for stone fruits and around $6 for Cherries last season. It is good fruit though I'll give them that, and their dried fruit is amazing as well.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2015, 01:38:34 AM »

$10 a pound for citrus is pricey? I would call it astronomically expensive, and that doesn't include shipping? Maybe i read it wrong and the prices are in pesos not dollars?  ;)
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
Wow, I did not know they grew or shipped Citrus. That is nuts, they must be making good money re-selling citrus from http://www.aboundingharvest.com/Blog.html
Anyways I posted the link for their Pluots, Apricot , Peaches, and Cherries which are I'm sure expensive as well but top notch. This Farm has blown up in popularity the last few years with a permanent retail outlet in the Ferry building in San Francisco , and now a Cafe.
 I think I'd rather pay $10 a pd for first week of harvest Apricots than any Citrus or Avocado.
$20 a pound is not uncommon price for Jaboticaba and some other fruits shipping from Florida, at least the seeds are useful : )
If only fruitlovers and the other Hawaiian's could ship fruit......

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2015, 05:39:03 AM »
Wow, I did not know they grew or shipped Citrus. That is nuts, they must be making good money re-selling citrus from http://www.aboundingharvest.com/Blog.html
Anyways I posted the link for their Pluots, Apricot , Peaches, and Cherries which are I'm sure expensive as well but top notch. This Farm has blown up in popularity the last few years with a permanent retail outlet in the Ferry building in San Francisco , and now a Cafe.
 I think I'd rather pay $10 a pd for first week of harvest Apricots than any Citrus or Avocado.
$20 a pound is not uncommon price for Jaboticaba and some other fruits shipping from Florida, at least the seeds are useful : )

Thanks to those little fruit flies i can't even send a little gift box of fruits to relatives on the mainland.  :'(  Only nuked fruits can be sent, and only certain fruits for which they have the nuking protocol set up.
PS the only fruits on frog hollow website right now are citrus and apples...not very exciting. Not exciting enough to pay $10 a pound for in my opinion.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »

$10 a pound for citrus is pricey? I would call it astronomically expensive, and that doesn't include shipping? Maybe i read it wrong and the prices are in pesos not dollars?  ;)

I have been known to give in to understatement on occasion. ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

Thanks to those little fruit flies i can't even send a little gift box of fruits to relatives on the mainland.  :'(  Only nuked fruits can be sent, and only certain fruits for which they have the nuking protocol set up.
PS the only fruits on frog hollow website right now are citrus and apples...not very exciting. Not exciting enough to pay $10 a pound for in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't understand the loopy protocol . Rambutan can be shipped from HI but not Lychee or Longan?
 Pineapples and Papaya but nothing else , not expecting consistency but a rational explanation from the agency in control would be nice. So many things I wish you could ship but mainly Breadfruit and Ackee.

No way those brokered Citrus or Apples are worth $5 a pound to me. I was posting the link because soon enough they will have all those Zaiger stone fruit varieties that others on the board seem excited about and don't have access to the fruit yet for the most part. I figured it is better to post early so people can suss it out , the season on good  Apricot and Cherry go quick.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »

Yeah, I don't understand the loopy protocol . Rambutan can be shipped from HI but not Lychee or Longan?
 Pineapples and Papaya but nothing else , not expecting consistency but a rational explanation from the agency in control would be nice. So many things I wish you could ship but mainly Breadfruit and Ackee.

No way those brokered Citrus or Apples are worth $5 a pound to me. I was posting the link because soon enough they will have all those Zaiger stone fruit varieties that others on the board seem excited about and don't have access to the fruit yet for the most part. I figured it is better to post early so people can suss it out , the season on good  Apricot and Cherry go quick.

Irradiatied longan is being shipped out of Hawaii and sold on the mainland. There is a protocol also for lychee, but they aren't shipped just because there is enough demand in Hawaii to consume all that is produced. Unsprouted coconuts can be mailed without any treatment.
Oscar

Isolona

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
Florida Lychee available now: http://www.localharvest.org/lychee-C13304

I found a local source for Hawaiian Longan and Lychee! So thankful.
The above mentioned pricey stone fruits from frog swallow like Apricots are available online right now.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
Hello guys!
I am new here, and would love to get my hands on icecream beans, do you know who sells them? I live in AZ but I am originally from El Salvador in Central America, so I am familiar with most of the fruit you guys mention on these post, we may call them by a different name. :) Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

pschill444@aol.com

• springvalley ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
any one know who sells fresh green sapote online ?

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »
Hi guys,I've several kiwano ready to be harvested...I already eaten a lot!pm me if interested.

Of course,i'm talking of organic product,i hate chimical...i want to harvest and immediately eat without any problem
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:27:45 PM by Anto989 »

Easefirst

• California, zone 10, at the coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2015, 10:17:47 PM »
Hello guys!
I am new here, and would love to get my hands on icecream beans, do you know who sells them? I live in AZ but I am originally from El Salvador in Central America, so I am familiar with most of the fruit you guys mention on these post, we may call them by a different name. :) Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!
I am wondering, if you found any? I am very curious to try some too.

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »
Rivers End Nursery in Texas has various fruit for shipping. At one point they were shipping Inga Feulli

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 12:56:29 PM »
Fresh Hawaiian grown durian for sale.  http://www.onofarms.com/durianpromo.html

There may be other sources in the future.  :)

merrysoft

• Joquim
    • India, Mumbai
    • View Profile
    • http://raunakgroup.com
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:08 AM »
Does anyone know where I'd be able to buy white mangoes online?

foguete

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
Fresh Seeds and Tropical Seedlings
Free Shipping
Welcome to www.ThailandMrk.com

http://www.thailandmrk.com/Home.html
Our store provides products from Thailand

Good quality & reasonable price
Delivery direct to your home