Author Topic: Papaya male ?  (Read 4278 times)

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Papaya male ?
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
Is this just male flowers are maybe bi.Adam it was one of yours

Mike

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Papaya male ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 04:02:19 PM »
It looks like a male, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hermaphrodite.

Especially if they came from Australia.

Maybe mikeT knows more about some of the Aussie seedling papayas tendencies.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
Hi Mike,
Got one just like yours ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
It is just a male and there is no swinging both ways for that one.Only about 1 in 10 males can get fruit.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »
I have a female tree for you mike (treesnmore, not mikeT  ;D)

and a bunch of other stuff.

Sorry I gave you a rooster.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
Mike T and Adam thank you I was hoping it was a bi aussie Steven we are out of luck rooster dont lay eggs
Mike

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
A few years ago I had a freaky male papaya plant that decided to fruit after a near freeze. I let it fruit hoping I had a special plant. It was the worst smelling and nasiest tasting papaya that I have ever had. The fruit was so bad that there should be a law against it...yes it was that bad. :P

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »

Male papaya fruit don't taste as good and have no seeds.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
A few years ago I had a freaky male papaya plant that decided to fruit after a near freeze. I let it fruit hoping I had a special plant. It was the worst smelling and nasiest tasting papaya that I have ever had. The fruit was so bad that there should be a law against it...yes it was that bad. :P

yeah if you torture your male papaya tree, it may make some female flowers, but seems the good traits of the cultivar are only present in the female / hermaphrodite trees.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »
Looks like a male. Do the flowers smell good? Then definitely male.

I had a red lady papaya that turned out to be not so ladylike. For the first year, anyway. Then we had a drought and it turned into a hermie and started setting fruit (which were very tasty). Pretty kinky if you ask me.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 10:08:25 AM »
Mike T and Adam thank you I was hoping it was a bi aussie Steven we are out of luck rooster dont lay eggs

Hi Mike,
;D ;D ;D I am actually quite happy with a male papaya...never had one in the orchard before 8) At Least he will help to pollinate them ladies ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

Hi Mike,
;D ;D ;D I am actually quite happy with a male papaya...never had one in the orchard before 8) At Least he will help to pollinate them ladies ;D

But if you are planning on growing papaya seedlings you really should cull the males. Better to pollinate any females with hermaphrodites.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

Hi Mike,

But if you are planning on growing papaya seedlings you really should cull the males. Better to pollinate any females with hermaphrodites.

I agree, if you have hermaphrodites as pollinators and NO males around, the seeds from the fruit will NOT come up male.  also elongated fruit come from hermaphrodite trees, and the rounder ones are from female trees.  its best to use seeds from the elongated fruit.

hermaphrodites trees are more productive, giving more Kg per tree because the elongated fruit fit better up the trunk and hollow cavity is smaller.

you can assure good seeds, by bagging a hermaphrodite flower so that is self pollinates, and this way you will get seeds with the same characteristics of original tree from the fruit produced from that flower.   of course all the above mentioned may not be true for some hybrid varieties, which may revert back to one of the parents, which doesn't necessarily mean it will be a bad fruit, only that it may not have exactly the same traits.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
I agree with both y'alls comments  :) for seed production and in plantations hermies are prefered than female or male plants for higher yields ;)
Time is like a river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk