Author Topic: Wonderful citrus  (Read 6986 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wonderful citrus
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:16 AM »
Hello,
I was looking on the net various citrus and I found a particular citrus ... meyer lemon an hibryd between lemon and orange
I belief was an orange .... wonderful 
I must buy this ... a lemon sweet wonderful

http://suzilive.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/meyer2.jpg

do you ate never this citrus? and know other variety like this?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Wonderful citrus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »
Many forum members are growing this including myself.  It's thought to be a cross between a lemon and either a tangerine or orange.  A quick Google came up with such - http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/improvedmeyer.html

Be sure it is true to form, the 'Improved' variety (no tristeza), and on a rootstock that pairs well with your soil's profile, structure and pH.  I grafted it to Flying Dragon which is a dwarfing rootstock that also imparts a certain degree of cold hardiness to the scion.

Good luck,
Mark

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
meyer lemon, it's the only tropical i have that is actually fruiting now. It fruits well when small. Good choice for starters, before you get bit by the citrus bug and want to have them all  ;D .

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:43 AM »
Meyer lemon isn't sweet.  Also, I never found it to have a true lemon flavor.
John

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »
I live in Italy and I hope to find this variety ..... when is small fruit well hence needs a prune every year for stay small?

Mark the link which you posted is wonderful .... there are many hybrids

for example with grapefruit there is this
Frost Marsh grapefruit
Citrus paradisi Macfadyen

but are only in Usa these varieties?

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 08:52:39 AM »
Meyer lemon isn't sweet.  Also, I never found it to have a true lemon flavor.

I read in various website that is the sweetheart citrus

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
I live in Italy and I hope to find this variety ..... when is small fruit well hence needs a prune every year for stay small?

Mark the link which you posted is wonderful .... there are many hybrids

for example with grapefruit there is this
Frost Marsh grapefruit
Citrus paradisi Macfadyen

but are only in Usa these varieties?

It's a small tree that probably won't need trimming/topping to keep it small.  Flying Dragon rootstock really dwarfs it.   Regarding stock, you'll just have to call around.  Like most citrus, it may come true to seed. 

I agree with John - Meyer is not sweet but neither is it as tart as say - Eureka.  Meyer has a different taste than a true lemon which I like.  For some strange reason it's also becoming the lemon of choice for celebrity chefs.

Another option, if you like a real tart fruit that also has a rich flavor, get a Mexican (key) lime.  Pull them when they turn yellow for the best flavor.

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
I will check in Europe where is possible to buy hybrid of citrus
since that it's small is possible also to create an hedge with more citrus (also different varietis) (like pitosporum for know what I want to tell)

from seeds how many years need to give fruits?
and by graft only one season really?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:37:03 AM »
I will check in Europe where is possible to buy hybrid of citrus
since that it's small is possible also to create an hedge with more citrus (also different varietis) (like pitosporum for know what I want to tell)

from seeds how many years need to give fruits?
and by graft only one season really?

It took me about 2 years from seed to get my Flying Dragon up to a size to T-bud graft to.  Get your scion from a mature tree on the previous growth (not the newest growth) and you should have fruit set within a year after the graft pushes.   Much depends on your gardening skills.

The scion doesn't know it's young.  Remember, it came from an old tree.   ;D

gaberec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
for strength  flying dragon must be the  rootstock ?

I must find in Europe this plant for the scion ... or to buy directly graft

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:29 AM »

There are lots of citrus in europe, no need for importing most of them... you can found pretty much anything, except few cultivars. But we also have a lot of cultivar unavailable for people in usa. Take a look here:

http://www.oscartintori.it/indice.pdf

It is from tuscany.
And they should ship. Moreover, they have also plants not listed in that catalog.
If you search around you can found a lot of things (expecially search nursery in siciliy, france, spain, and cezch republic).
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

There are lots of citrus in europe, no need for importing most of them... you can found pretty much anything, except few cultivars. But we also have a lot of cultivar unavailable for people in usa. Take a look here:

http://www.oscartintori.it/indice.pdf

It is from tuscany.
And they should ship. Moreover, they have also plants not listed in that catalog.
If you search around you can found a lot of things (expecially search nursery in siciliy, france, spain, and cezch republic).

Good grief, that nursery is incredible....what choices!   Another "must have" is Moro blood orange.  Being italian that one should be real easy to find.

Speaking of blood orange my wife ordered a margarita while we dined at a famous Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio yesterday.  It was delicious and consisted of a salted rim glass with Blood orange soda, lime juice, tequila, agave nectar topped off with a maraschino cherry.   I found the blood orange soda yesterday in a liquor store and it was the Perregrino brand from Italy!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 04:31:10 PM »
I like my Meyers Lemon. I used one today to make mojo marinade for pork. I find is not sweet at all. Its acid but very juicy. I like that I have fruit year around. It stays mature in the tree for a while and can also be used them green.  One of my largest can produce 4 oz of Juice.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »
Good grief, that nursery is incredible....what choices!   Another "must have" is Moro blood orange.  Being italian that one should be real easy to find.

Speaking of blood orange my wife ordered a margarita while we dined at a famous Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio yesterday.  It was delicious and consisted of a salted rim glass with Blood orange soda, lime juice, tequila, agave nectar topped off with a maraschino cherry.   I found the blood orange soda yesterday in a liquor store and it was the Perregrino brand from Italy!

Probably gaberec won't have to plant a Moro orange; being in Sicily probably he will literally swim in Moro blood oranges when they are in season. Oranges in Sicily cost, on farmer's market, about 8 eurocents/kg (that's about $ 0.10 for 2,2 lbs).

Personally i prefer Tarocco. I'm pretty excited because i recently a new variety of Tarocco oranges has been discovered in Sicily that is almost as early as a Moro (being already red in November in our climate, while regular Tarocco are ready two months later). It has been patented recently and will arrive on the market as soon as the next spring.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »
If you like citrus, try gold nugget tangerine. It is very sweet with excellent sugar acid balance, it is perfect size for an individual serving and it peels easily.

Take a miracle fruit and make a Meyer Lemonade with no sugar, absolutely spectacular on a hot Summer day.

For a Blood orange, you may want to also consider Smith Red Valencia. It is supposed to be an actual Valencia but with the red pigmentation. Some nurseries are starting to carry it.
Simon

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 07:53:20 AM »
I'm very probably going to chop my Meyer lemon down this week. Between the fruit fly, fruit piercing moth and brown rot and other fungal infections as a result of the moth. I have hundreds of bad lemons on the ground at any given time. Hoping replacing with a double grafted eureka and villa Franca will give me tougher year round lemons.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
For a Blood orange, you may want to also consider Smith Red Valencia. It is supposed to be an actual Valencia but with the red pigmentation. Some nurseries are starting to carry it.
Simon

Sounds interesting.   Of all the oranges I've tasted the  Valenicia orange is my favorite.   I consider it the best for juicing.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 08:31:49 AM »
Yeah, Meyer's skin is not very thick.  That's a great trait for squeezing.  Thankfully we don't have any of those Aussie citrus fruit destroying creatures. We just have to worry about the usual fungal and viral issues and some marred leaves from leaf miners. For me, Meyers is the sour orange of the lemon world.  Less acidity would be more accurate than calling it sweet.  Maybe that is just semantics though.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA