Author Topic: Closest garcinia to purple mangosteen I can grow in subtropics?  (Read 12102 times)

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Closest garcinia to purple mangosteen I can grow in subtropics?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 06:07:12 PM »
The other one to look out for is the Russell's Sweet that Mike has posted about. There is a grafted young tree on the south side of town I know of, but its a loner and possibly wont fruit without a pollinator, unless one of the the other 10 or so Garcinia spp in the same garden will pollinate it. The bumpy madruno is supposed to be among the best, and the smallish brasiliensis is well worth growing in a part shade spot as it fruits early and lots to make up for the small size of fruit. I have a large one in a pot which is root bound, but still produces quite well through the warmer months, but the sun knocks back fruit production during really hot patches (like now). Most of the ex-Rheedias are pretty tough if given a bit of shade. The SE Asian Garcinias are generally a lot more fussy and need the right water and humidity year round and truly hate the intensity of the sun here when 0 cloud cover can kill a 6ft parvifolia or mangostana in half a day.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »
The other one to look out for is the Russell's Sweet that Mike has posted about. There is a grafted young tree on the south side of town I know of, but its a loner and possibly wont fruit without a pollinator, unless one of the the other 10 or so Garcinia spp in the same garden will pollinate it. The bumpy madruno is supposed to be among the best, and the smallish brasiliensis is well worth growing in a part shade spot as it fruits early and lots to make up for the small size of fruit. I have a large one in a pot which is root bound, but still produces quite well through the warmer months, but the sun knocks back fruit production during really hot patches (like now). Most of the ex-Rheedias are pretty tough if given a bit of shade. The SE Asian Garcinias are generally a lot more fussy and need the right water and humidity year round and truly hate the intensity of the sun here when 0 cloud cover can kill a 6ft parvifolia or mangostana in half a day.

Good sized madruno  came up on ebay a few months ago (a pair actually) and I'm kicking myself now that I didn't buy both, I doubt I'll get the chance again. Madruno is the Garcinia I have commonly seen referred to as 'lemon drop mangosteen'. I might try for some seed.

I've decided I'm going to grow all mine under the shade of the verandah for a very long time, it is simply too hot out here to do anything else. The Achacha was struggling, even with irrigation and a good amount of shade over the course of the light cycle. Luc's garcinia seem to respond very well to greenhouse conditions, both of mine have the beginnings of new foliage after having been relocated. I should really buy a decent sized walk-in, but my gardening budget seems to get chewed up pretty quickly on  procuring plants themselves....
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 11:52:50 PM »
Madrono is not the same as lemon drop mangosteen. They are different species. The first is Garcinia madruno, the second Garcinia intermedia. Madrono is usually considered the better of the 2 in both taste and size.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:59 AM »
From what I can figure from advice from a Brazilian collector the top American Garcinia include sweet madrono, luc's Mexican and Garcinia sp.bicuda with achachairu, some macrophylla, intermedia, common madrono and some gardneriana getting honourable mentions. Brasiliensis is very similar to gardneriana but has smaller fruit. There seem to be some undescribed or ones that can't be assigned to a known species that may be near the top for fruit quality.

Russell's sweet and prainiana and maybe some rarer sweet dulcis types are perhaps the best fruit of the Asian garcinias. None taste like mangosteen.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
From what I can figure from advice from a Brazilian collector the top American Garcinia include sweet madrono, luc's Mexican and Garcinia sp.bicuda with achachairu, some macrophylla, intermedia, common madrono and some gardneriana getting honourable mentions. Brasiliensis is very similar to gardneriana but has smaller fruit. There seem to be some undescribed or ones that can't be assigned to a known species that may be near the top for fruit quality.

Russell's sweet and prainiana and maybe some rarer sweet dulcis types are perhaps the best fruit of the Asian garcinias. None taste like mangosteen.

By the way where can i get seeds of garcinia sp bicuda?

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 12:12:07 AM »
I love mangosteen and would like to grow something similar to it here in zone 9b. Does anyone know what type of Garcinia can be grown here in 9B ?

FloridaFruits

• Bradenton, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2018, 11:37:07 PM »
I searched around and found that Excalibur Nursery down South Florida has some lemon drop mangosteen. Has anyone been able to grow this type in Zone 9B ? Im in Bradenton - Sarasota zone 9B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk