Author Topic: Maprang, info wanted.  (Read 11880 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Maprang, info wanted.
« on: April 05, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
I am going to be getting a Maprang tree soon. I just wanted to know a little more about growing conditions, uses etc. I am guessing that the growing requirements are similar to mango?

Questions regarding edible parts, from what I have gathered the skin is edible, the seeds are as well. Anyone have experience eating Maprang fruit? Comments on the taste and edible parts would be a big help. I have found on the internet references of using the young leaves for salads and sambal. The edibility of the leaves interest me a lot, wanted to know if anyone has tried them?

Thank you for future comments and info.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Maprang, info wanted.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
I treat mine just like a mango. They seem to be pretty much just as tolerant to cold as mangoes. I have only had one fruit from my trees. Didn't eat the skin or the leaves. I can't imagine the leaves tasting much different than what a mango leaf would taste like but I have never tried either. Hopefully next season I will have better luck with getting fruit.

Where are you ordering yours from?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »
I treat mine just like a mango. They seem to be pretty much just as tolerant to cold as mangoes. I have only had one fruit from my trees. Didn't eat the skin or the leaves. I can't imagine the leaves tasting much different than what a mango leaf would taste like but I have never tried either. Hopefully next season I will have better luck with getting fruit.

Getting it from Ethan locally. How old is your tree John?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »
Maprang is a more tropical plant than mango. Remember that origin of maprang is Malaysian peninsula whereas jackfruits originate in southern India...very different climates. Also maprang is a lot slower growing than mango. The new leaves of maprang are supposed to be edible, but never tried them. The fruits have a lot of differences in quality, just like with mango, there is not just one type of maprang, but many. Some sweet, some sweet/sour, and some quite sour.
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:25 PM »
Oscar,

Thanks for the input. Wondering how it would fair outdoors in CA climate, I think it would despise the low humidity though.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
Oscar,

Thanks for the input. Wondering how it would fair outdoors in CA climate, I think it would despise the low humidity though.

Doubt maprang would grow well in California and certainly wouldn't fruit unless inside a greenhouse. It's very slow growing even here!
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:53:33 PM »

I have two grafted ones. One I have probably had for 3 years, and the other 2 years. I have a Kai and a Mayong chid from Frankies in Hawaii. Mine have been exposed to temps down to about 33-34 with a layer of frost on them without being damaged. I have not let them see any colder than that though. My Mayong Chid is about 5 ft tall and the Kai is probably only three. I just grafted some Mayong Chid onto mango stock. It's only been about 2 weeks but so far the graft still looks perfect. I am actually starting to get slightly optimistic that it will take. I have 10 mango seedlings growing now for rootstock in a few months. I am hoping the maprang on mango stock will grow faster than the maprang on maprang stock.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »

I have two grafted ones. One I have probably had for 3 years, and the other 2 years. I have a Kai and a Mayong chid from Frankies in Hawaii. Mine have been exposed to temps down to about 33-34 with a layer of frost on them without being damaged. I have not let them see any colder than that though. My Mayong Chid is about 5 ft tall and the Kai is probably only three. I just grafted some Mayong Chid onto mango stock. It's only been about 2 weeks but so far the graft still looks perfect. I am actually starting to get slightly optimistic that it will take. I have 10 mango seedlings growing now for rootstock in a few months. I am hoping the maprang on mango stock will grow faster than the maprang on maprang stock.

Did the graft from maprang on mango finally take? I am also trying it but i will have to wait some more months before i cut the approach graft of.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
Maprang is a more tropical plant than mango. Remember that origin of maprang is Malaysian peninsula whereas jackfruits originate in southern India...very different climates. Also maprang is a lot slower growing than mango. The new leaves of maprang are supposed to be edible, but never tried them. The fruits have a lot of differences in quality, just like with mango, there is not just one type of maprang, but many. Some sweet, some sweet/sour, and some quite sour.

Oscar do you think Bangkok is tropical enough to grow and fruit Maprang? My wife thinks i cannot let it fruit here and she has never seen it in BKK growing. 2 hours away from here i saw whole farms of them though.

I m thinking of growing them in a big pot.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:25 AM »
Oscar do you think Bangkok is tropical enough to grow and fruit Maprang? My wife thinks i cannot let it fruit here and she has never seen it in BKK growing. 2 hours away from here i saw whole farms of them though.

bangkok, Bangkok is definitely tropical enough to grow and fruit maprang because it is being grown and has fruited outdoors in South Florida, which gets colder than Bangkok.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »

Yes it will fruit in Bangkok. Maprang fruits in Hawaii, which is a lot cooler than Bangkok. It may not be the very best place in all of Thailand for commercial production, but you will still get plenty of fruit. As i recall maprang is even grown commercially in some parts of northern Thailand?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 04:09:37 AM »
http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/ab777e/ab777e04.htm

The maprangs are certainly grown commercially in many areas including the drier parts of the north like Utteradit and in the Nth East in areas where winters are pretty cool as well.They can also be grown in pretty dry places in northern Australia and well out of the tropics.Maprang are grown all over Thailand including in Bangkok and the south.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »
Okay then i will try it. North of BKK it is a little colder so maybe they have the maprang farms there for that reason. I want them to fruit here and actually not only in April because then i might not be here because of the high temps.

That's a nice site Mike, the soursop can be grown here it says but me and my wife have never seen them. I will try it if we see them one day.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
Okay then i will try it. North of BKK it is a little colder so maybe they have the maprang farms there for that reason. I want them to fruit here and actually not only in April because then i might not be here because of the high temps.

That's a nice site Mike, the soursop can be grown here it says but me and my wife have never seen them. I will try it if we see them one day.

Yes it's strange that you never see soursop in Thailand. It would grow very well there. But then again there are sooooo many fruits that would do well in Thailand that are delicious that are totally unknown there.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
Well the name soursop is not very attractive but since i read that they are sweet i have interest in them. Maybe that's why they don't grow them overhere.

People here follow the older people and if they say something don't grow then they will never try it.

My garden is not big but i would try a lot of i had the chance. My thai family has much land though but i don;t think i can persue them to grow something unknown. If the passionfruit from Mike is here and really sweet i m sure the family wants to grow it but they first want to see it in real and taste it.

Which new nice fruits do you think can grow overhere Oscar? The best is fruit that is not harvested in March/April/May (Summer) because then we have an overload of very sweet fruits allready. And fruits with nice colors are the best ones.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »
Well the name soursop is not very attractive but since i read that they are sweet i have interest in them. Maybe that's why they don't grow them overhere.

People here follow the older people and if they say something don't grow then they will never try it.

My garden is not big but i would try a lot of i had the chance. My thai family has much land though but i don;t think i can persue them to grow something unknown. If the passionfruit from Mike is here and really sweet i m sure the family wants to grow it but they first want to see it in real and taste it.

Which new nice fruits do you think can grow overhere Oscar? The best is fruit that is not harvested in March/April/May (Summer) because then we have an overload of very sweet fruits allready. And fruits with nice colors are the best ones.

I agree that soursop is a terrible name for this fruit and a real put off for people who have never tried it. That is why i like and use the spanish name for this fruit "guanabana". The main problem with this fruit isn't that it's too sour, it has a very good balance of sweet and sour; the main problem is that it has a lot of fiber. Fiberless types have been developed, but many of these are shy bearers. In my opinion a fiberless soursop is almost equal in quality to a good cherimoya...just an outstanding fruit!
I've already mentioned in a previous post some excellent fruits that should be grown in Thailand: jaboticaba, mamey sapote, green sapote, white sapote, Another very nice S. American fruit that would grow easily there is chupa chupa.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:19:56 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
Oscar soursop is not that uncommon in the south and east of thailand.It is known as durian thet.I agree that there are loads of other american species that could do well there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »
Oscar soursop is not that uncommon in the south and east of thailand.It is known as durian thet.I agree that there are loads of other american species that could do well there.

Never seen them, but never gone much east or south. Might get a chance on this trip to head to S. Thailand for a few days.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »
i move it to the right thread.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:14:51 AM by bangkok »

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Photos of Maprang in Thailand

this first one was taken in Bangkok in a fruit/veg market near Chatuchak. I was there in April and it was full season.

this one is how they propagate it through inarching in Nakhon Nayok a province 3 hours drive north/east of Bangkok which is famous for Maprang cultivation. I wonder how much such a technique is a common practice...can't cleft grafting be an easier way to go? Anyone knowing whether mango can serve as a rootstock for maprang?

Samuel
Reunion Island

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

this one is how they propagate it through inarching in Nakhon Nayok a province 3 hours drive north/east of Bangkok which is famous for Maprang cultivation. I wonder how much such a technique is a common practice...can't cleft grafting be an easier way to go? Anyone knowing whether mango can serve as a rootstock for maprang?

Apparently Mango is supposed to work but I have not had any luck tried clefts, veneers, and approach. No luck with any of them.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
Soursop is common in Sabah, too... and also named with a durian association, "Durian blenda" (or blendah).  Some folks have even told me about this "type of durian" when they have learned that I am a durio hunter.

Regarding maprang, which I have seen in Peninsular Malaysia, I have not seen it in Sabah during my 18 months here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 02:08:13 AM »
Somehow always manage to miss maprang season in Thailand. Maprang usually fruits in March-April, which is not a good time there for most other fruits. May-July is best time in Thailand for good assortment of most fruits.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 08:04:19 AM »

moved
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:15:31 AM by bangkok »

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
I found out that they get damaged pretty bad at 31 degrees. I have left them unprotected in previous years down to about 35 degrees and with pretty heavy frosts with no damage. Got caught of guard this year and lost about the top foot of my trees. They were just starting to flower too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk