Author Topic: Looking for good ABIU SEEDS!!!  (Read 5912 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Looking for good ABIU SEEDS!!!
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
I want to buy some good abiu seeds. Thank's!  ;)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for good ABIU SEEDS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
I think Oscar got some Abiu seeds, right now.
Moh'd

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
I think Oscar got some Abiu seeds, right now.
Thank's! ;D

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Just got some from Oscar a few days ago...luc also has some Honduran abiu seeds.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »
Just got some from Oscar a few days ago...luc also has some Honduran abiu seeds.
What's the best var?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »
not too sure...many people say great things about oscar's seeds....Luc commented that his Honduran variety fruits like crazy compared to the others he has.  They are probably both good.  I want a few different strains if i can.  May help with cross-pollination/fruit set.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
not too sure...many people say great things about oscar's seeds....Luc commented that his Honduran variety fruits like crazy compared to the others he has.  They are probably both good.  I want a few different strains if i can.  May help with cross-pollination/fruit set.
Thank you my friend, your comment was very usefull! ;D

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
Looking at the 5 different abiu's I am growing the one that I brought back from Honduras ( Lancetilla ) is the most vigorous tree and good size fruit .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »

Luc,

I sent you an email..Please check.

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »
I got some seeds from Oscar a few weeks ago.  Can anyone with experience say about how long I should expect germination to take?  I got the impression they were quite quick, and I'm watching (impatiently) for signs of growth.  Thanks.
James

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »
I got some seeds from Oscar a few weeks ago.  Can anyone with experience say about how long I should expect germination to take?  I got the impression they were quite quick, and I'm watching (impatiently) for signs of growth.  Thanks.

Recently I got some seeds of different variety. So, 3 weeks in mail, and than first few sprouts pooped out of the soil in 10-14 days. To be honest germination started during transit, so your case might be different. Also I have some abius from a year ago. Wasn't there to watch sprouting, but there is tremendous difference from the same batch (very possibly the same mother tree). Biggest abiu over 5 feet tall in one year, smallest barely over 1 foot.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 02:22:35 PM »

I also got some a week or two ago.  I planted them Feb 15th.  No sprouts yet, but i will try to update.
~Jeff

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »
Germination times depend on temperature and other conditions given, but usually starts in 2-4 weeks.
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
Germination times depend on temperature and other conditions given, but usually starts in 2-4 weeks.

Thanks Oscar!
James

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
I got two verities of Abiu, one is from Sherry (Gray) and other is from Guadeloupe.

Moh'd

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:24 AM »
So for Abiu is it the bigger the better? Or are variety's like Z1 Z2 Z3 etc. better then other variety's? I have never seen any abiu so i 'm just curious.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
Bangkok yes 500g to 1kg are large examples of the top types.Low latex,few seeds (one or 2),strong caramel and even vanilla taste,low bruising and staining of flesh and spherical shape are the hallmarks of the best abiu.
Z2,Z4,Inca Gold,Gray,T35,E4 and Cape Gold (as well as Marissa apparently) are some of the types that make the grade. Lot latex and no proness to flesh staining and bruising are the first qualities to look for.Firm flesh rather than jelly and a taste that pushes through the caramel into other tastes and is sweet is what to look for.
I am yet to see pictures of top abiu from south america and think some good ones must exist in their homelands.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
Bangkok yes 500g to 1kg are large examples of the top types.Low latex,few seeds (one or 2),strong caramel and even vanilla taste,low bruising and staining of flesh and spherical shape are the hallmarks of the best abiu.
Z2,Z4,Inca Gold,Gray,T35,E4 and Cape Gold (as well as Marissa apparently) are some of the types that make the grade. Lot latex and no proness to flesh staining and bruising are the first qualities to look for.Firm flesh rather than jelly and a taste that pushes through the caramel into other tastes and is sweet is what to look for.
I am yet to see pictures of top abiu from south america and think some good ones must exist in their homelands.

500g to 1kg are large examples of the top types .Low latex, one seeds ,strong caramel and even vanilla taste,low bruising and staining of flesh and spherical shape are the hallmarks of the best abiu.

[/size]
I have this abiu, fruiting in october / november, very good taste, only one seed, I will take pictures of the fruit in october

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »

500g to 1kg are large examples of the top types .Low latex, one seeds ,strong caramel and even vanilla taste,low bruising and staining of flesh and spherical shape are the hallmarks of the best abiu.

[/size]
I have this abiu, fruiting in october / november, very good taste, only one seed, I will take pictures of the fruit in october

Hey Ricardo.  What is the name of the cultivar you are referring to?  Sounds awesome!
~Jeff

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »

[/size]

Hey Ricardo.  What is the name of the cultivar you are referring to?  Sounds awesome!

I do not know the name , this fruit I bought in the http://www.ceagesp.gov.br , in few years ago, the size like a yellow melon, is very sweet and excelent taste, in a box had about 6 up to 8 abiu, the box weight was 5 kilos, the price was about 80,00 USD, only one seed per fruit, I bought 10 box

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »

OKay thanks Mike, I was still in doubt which one to plant where, the big round abiu or the Z4. I still have to decide which one gets a prime spot in full sun/soil, Abiu or Achacha. They grow fast for me.

I would like to see an abiu from a kg on pic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk