Author Topic: Ice Cream Banana  (Read 16825 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Ice Cream Banana
« on: April 26, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Can anyone give a total review on this variety...just purchased a cheap 5 g from lowes...but I heard the  Ice Cream banana is one of the best and more cold hardy than the rest.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cream Banana
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »
Can you describe or post a picture. ..many bananas being sold as Ice Cream are Dwarf Namwah.

As for the actual fruit, think of creamy fluffy banana ice cream. Very sweet, almost snow white with a creamy ice cream like texture.
- Rob

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »
Also known as "Blue Java" I had them planted for years but recently had them all dug out with a friends bulldozer. They are an excellent tasting banana when allowed to ripen fully, very nice flavor, the texture is on the firm side.  They were about the same or even slightly less cold hardy then some of the other Bananas I have planted such as Orinoco and Raji-Puri. The main negative is they are a very invasive/aggressive large growing variety that will start to take over your yard unless controlled. Overall I like the variety but given the work that goes along with them won't plant again.         

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Clay,
A new banana? How'd that go over with Mrs.Clay? lol

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »
Can anyone give a total review on this variety...just purchased a cheap 5 g from lowes...but I heard the  Ice Cream banana is one of the best and more cold hardy than the rest.

Not that good, not that cold hardy, and gets too tall for what it is.

Luckily for you what you purchased is probably a Nam Wah, which is a much superior tasting banana imo.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
Yes, Home Depot and Lowes sell the Ice Cream Banana from La Verne Nursery that is really a Namwa variety.  It is very good.  I had the fruit for the first time a couple of months ago.  I have one planted in my frontyard six feet away from the real Ice Cream Banana which I haven't tried yet.

Bill

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:16:01 PM »
Clay,
A new banana? How'd that go over with Mrs.Clay? lol

She Loves Bananas.....this was a win win!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »

If this is the same as the one I got online... I bought one a few years back, it grew like wildfire, and the bananas were not good at all, they never seemed to ripen. My worst decision in bananas.
Regards,

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:30:13 AM »
Can you describe or post a picture. ..many bananas being sold as Ice Cream are Dwarf Namwah.

As for the actual fruit, think of creamy fluffy banana ice cream. Very sweet, almost snow white with a creamy ice cream like texture.

sorry didn't get around to taking any pictures....The tag did read a description of Silver Blue Banana Fruits if that gives you an idea....I'll take pics tomorrow

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »
If it came from Lowe's in Southern California it is almost certainly not the real "Ice Cream" cultivar and is a tall Pisang Awak ("Namwah") variety that is better, as has already been mentioned.  It is a good variety for Southern California.  It deals with our winters better than most varieties, and can handle hot and dry.  It is a vigorous grower and very productive.  I get bunches that are typically around 50 pounds.  The fruit are good, but like all fruits, not everyone loves them.  They are very sweet and have a dense texture.  They need to be let to ripen much more than your typical Cavendish banana from the market.  These must not have any green on the peel and are best with some brown/black on the peel.

The main potential down sides, depending on your situation, are that this is a tall variety that often needs propping as the bunch develops.  To the top of the pseudostem ("trunk"), it'll be 10-15' typically, so the tops of the leaves will push 20'.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »
Lol well in that case enjoy the new banana ... Love to see some pics of the green oasis when everything gets growing, Clay, Mangoes, Cherimoyas, and Bananas.  Yum

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 03:48:52 PM »
Also known as 'Blue Java' I had them planted for years but recently had them all dug out with a friends bulldozer. They are an excellent tasting banana when allowed to ripen fully, very nice flavor, the texture is on the firm side.  They were about the same or even slightly less cold hardy then some of the other Bananas I have planted such as Orinoco and Raji-Puri. The main negative is they are a very invasive/aggressive large growing variety that will start to take over your yard unless controlled. Overall I like the variety but given the work that goes along with them won't plant again.       

By your description, 'Blue Java' bananas have some characteristics that to some may sound like banana heaven, they taste excellent and reproduce like bunny rabbits. If you've ever had/tasted the 'NamWah' banana variety, could you please say how does the 'Blue Java' compare with the 'NamWah' variety.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
Bananas always need thinning. Someone should invite ClayM over to dig up a few pups of a worthy banana and take them home. I have pups right now for anyone who is banana deprived. They have to supply the labor to dig them out :)   (PM me)

Bottom line- it is hard to screw up growing bananas.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
Some Banana Experts would say that Dwarf Namwah. is a much better tasting than Blue Java.
Enjoy..

Ed..
Zone 10

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
The Ice Cream banana, also know as Blue Java and Ney Mannan is a great banana for many reasons.  Many people consider the Ice Cream banana the best tasting of all bananas. They compare its flavor to that of vanilla custard or ice cream, its generally highly regarded.  The skins have an odd, silvery-blue sheen, but then ripen to a pale canary yellow color.  It is a bit tall, but otherwise well suited to the home garden ..  It is probably too large for containers. Everyone's tastes differs, but when most people who knows bananas are asked what is the best tasting banana, the three that are most commonly named are Musa Mysore, Rajapuri and Ice Cream.  Musa Kru also gets high mark's. - Millet

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
I hope this helps....Can anyone further identify based on the pic of the plant and tag?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Despite what some say, the REAL Ice Cream banana is outstanding.  I have eaten perfectly ripened fruit from Going Bananas,  they are in my opinion better than the Namwa.  I would rank the Ice Cream,  Raja Puri and Red (Jamaican\Cuban Red) as three of the best tasting bananas.
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »
I love this thread. So far I hav every variety mentioned except musa Kru.

Bill

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
what are your "must-have" banana varieties?

I love manzanos, and jamaican reds, but i need to try more to get a better sense.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 10:30:10 PM »
I need to make a correction...my top might have to be Glui Kai.

to answer Jeff, Sweetheart (FHIA 3), FHIA 23, Pisang Raja and Kandrian are also excellent.   To avoid any confusion,  the Namwa/Dwarf Namwa is by no means a shabby banana.   I would still recommend it.
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 10:32:02 PM »
So It looks like I have an Ice cream Imposter? Or do I have the real deal shown above? The leaves do seem to have that silvery Blue Hue to it.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 02:38:17 AM »
So It looks like I have an Ice cream Imposter? Or do I have the real deal shown above? The leaves do seem to have that silvery Blue Hue to it.

You have the impostor, which is regarded by many who have tried them both as superior to the true "Blue Java / Ice Cream".  But tastes differ. The pink petiole edges on yours are absent in the real Blue Java.

As for the question about must-have varieties, again it depends on your tastes, and what will grow well for you given your climate.  I like bananas with a little tartness.  Dwarf Brazilian/Brazilian and Mysore are at the top of my list. 

FYI, Glui Kai, which was mentioned, is the same thing as the ones marketed as "Baby Bananas" in some supermarkets.  They don't do well in California.  They need more heat and humidity.  They have no tartness but great fragrance.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 04:31:53 AM »
ClayMango, that pictured above is certainly NOT the Ice Cream.

One of the first and primary indicators is they are tall and leggy--even when young.

If I can remember, I'll throw up a pic of one of my icecream pups shooting up from the wake of spring.

Also, Ice Cream is, to me, the best banana--if eaten at the proper time (yellow/black peel).

They are very cold hardy, and one of the few varieties that actually fruit in chillier zones, such as 7-9.

On a side note, their roots are amazing surface spreaders.  I planted mine at the corner of my vegetable garden, and found its milky roots over 30 feet into the garden.  Not a big deal really.  I simply take my spade out about twice a year and punch a 10 foot perimeter slice circle about a foot deep and chop the roots off.  Then the excessive roots growing under my garden soil become compost for the veggies.  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:36:10 AM by Viking Guy »

natsgarden123

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
I need to make a correction...my top might have to be Glui Kai.

to answer Jeff, Sweetheart (FHIA 3), FHIA 23, Pisang Raja and Kandrian are also excellent.   To avoid any confusion,  the Namwa/Dwarf Namwa is by no means a shabby banana.   I would still recommend it.

you forgot to mention those huge delicous black stemmed bananas.....

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »
Don at Going bananas Have the correct Blue Java..

Im Looking For A FHIA 21 Plantain.. Any one has one please let me know..
Ed..

The 3640 is another great tasting banana..
Let Bananamal Chime in..
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk