Author Topic: TREES! in the Keys  (Read 18362 times)

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
TREES! in the Keys
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
Here is some pics of my fruit trees
Ma'afala bread fruit and soursop

Star apple and sugarcane the seedlings in the pots in the front are kaffir limes

miracle fruit, Black pepper and assorted seedlings

bananas with Sumatran coffee growing under them, on the left is a peanut butter fruit, red custard apple, white sapote and loquats

top down shot of some mamey. one is from Lara nursery and has huge fruit, one is from a guy on krome ave, and the others are from seed.
also a seed grown fla avocado

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: TREES! in the Keys
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Antidesma bunius on the lower left, black sapote behind that, in the middle is my ruby supreme guava and two surname cherries. i have a dragon fruit growing up the guava also.

some muscadines on my porch

this is my back yard, the trees are in 4'x4'x2' boxes because i have so little soil in my back yard.
there is, starting from left to right ant top down, hogplum, lychee, van dyke mango, longan, lara starfruit and unknown avacado

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »
Very very nice trees! They look very healthy and beautifull... really nice show!  ;D ;)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Nice fruit trees! :) The mamey from lara with fruit on it might be a Pace. Do you have any pics of the fruit? The pace variety is known to be very precocious.
Alexi

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:03:45 PM »
It hasn't fruited yet, but the scion came from the tree right next to the little building there. When i got it the mother tree had fruit on it and they were HUGE like football size.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. They are all grown organically and don't have many problems. last year i had some (Tons) whiteflys but i finely beat them back under control with soap and elbow grease.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »
very nice!

Ive always wondered how some raised beds would do, maybe about 4 ft tall x 30 ft long, x 10 ft wide. (or even smaller)

maybe it would be a cheaper option than digging big holes like Grimal,  to make the soil better for stuff like abiu, and jaboticaba?

i suppose the plants would be really susceptible to wind damage, being elevated in planters.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
very nice!

Ive always wondered how some raised beds would do, maybe about 4 ft tall x 30 ft long, x 10 ft wide. (or even smaller)

maybe it would be a cheaper option than digging big holes like Grimal,  to make the soil better for stuff like abiu, and jaboticaba?

i suppose the plants would be really susceptible to wind damage, being elevated in planters.

they seem to do ok in the raised beds, im not to sure about the wind damage. but they do keep them from flooding when i get a good rain and its a lot cheaper than me trying to dig through cap rock lol.
 down here you may be able to dig a foot or two if you're really lucky and on fill dirt if not its caprock. i also have to be careful about saltwater intrusion because im only 3' above high tide.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Wow, Really nice looking trees. Especially the breadfruit!  Looks great  Dave

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
Wow, Really nice looking trees. Especially the breadfruit!  Looks great  Dave
Thanks, it's in a hole from a Jamaican dogwood and that seems to help it a lot
Can't wait to get fruit off of it  ;D it's been in the ground almost a year and growing fast

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »
agree with SaltCay - that breadfruit is amazing -  what beautiful leaves.
Everthing else looks great, too!

gary

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:57:33 AM »
Nice set up, breadfruit looks great and the raised beds are a good idea to get past the solid rock.

thanks for sharing

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »
Thanks ;D lots of water and compost

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »
Your trees look great, especially the breadfruit.  I have a couple of mango's planted at my in laws place near mm88.  We had a few Glenn's and 2 NDM's this season that were flawless.  A bit slow growing compared to up here on the mainland, but so far I have been impressed with the fruit quality.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
I have noticed the fruit down here look perfect, some of the trees near canals grow slower.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Wonderful looking fruit trees, I'm sure they love the weather down there.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Carlincool

• Cape Coral, Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 06:45:20 AM »
Great looking trees! I love the breadfruit. I understand about the rock, I have a lot of it too.
Good luck to you this winter.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
thank you all, I'm hoping for less cold wind than last winter, because it burned a lot of the leaves on the breadfruit, its crazy how weather in the 50's pisses off true tropicals lol.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »
Nice trees.  Just wondering if the fence around the trees in the front yard is to keep away key deer?
Adiel

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 05:28:02 AM »
yes it is they are the biggest pests we have they eat everything

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
Update on my trees
Star apple

Saba banana and Lara star fruit

Catalina avocado

Guava and Suriname cherries

Sugar apple

From left to right Big ney, Catalina avocado, longin, lychee, namwa banana, sugar cane and you can just see my breadfruit tree up front

Suriname cherry flowers

some kind of Cavendish banana

and my seedling nursery under my porch
these are all beans, red and green yard long and Colombian marble.

orchids, veggies and miracle fruit

And my breadfruit

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 12:07:35 PM »
No mangoes, from-the-sea?  Maybe they don't do well down there....or you
just don't like them....

I LOVE the Keys!

Gary

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 12:36:24 PM »
I love mangos, I had one growing in one of my boxes but the deer loved the tree also and killed it :'(, so i replaced it with a custard apple and they don't eat that much. There are so many mango trees around here that I have access to I didn't feel it was a good use of space.
during mango season my mom goes around and gets any unwanted fruit (you would be surprised how much she gets 4-5 paper grocery bags A DAY) so I just get them from her.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »
This is awesome to see and gives me hope! We have many of the same varieties! I am in the Upper Keys, also growing organically, and have now some 100 varieties of fruit tree/plant. However, this is just my first year so most of my plants are still small, not much too look at yet. Many got wiped out by some kind of sap-sucking blight that one plant brought in before I was able to stop it with a Rosemary oil and soap mix, there were problems with snails until I added Sluggo, there were spider mites until I got those, baby iguanas ate everything they could find for a while... so there have been a lot of different adjustments to be made and new things to learn. I also have rats and have to catch them and transport them North of here. It is a ton of work! But I'm so happy to see most of the plants have finally found their footing and are starting to do well. As of yet, the soil PH does not seem to be a problem - I guess I amended it enough. It will take me a few more years before I really have everything in hand and things are stable - I really hope we don't have a hurricane or bad tropical storm to wipe them out before they get stronger! I too am in a below-flood area, although my yard has so many trees it has a fair amount of wind protection (but not necessarily for 100mph!).

I was surprised to find yesterday that my Maha Chanok mango has its very first flowers! I didn't realize this would occur in winter... I don't see anything on my Mallika though. Every day is a new adventure with so many plants I've never seen before in my life up to now. Can't wait to get hopefully some fruit this year from some of them!

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
It seems like we have had a lot of the same problems getting started, the high ph wont show for a while, the city water has a high ph so it builds up in the soil, but i have found that with almost all of the trees that a lot of mulch helps I use mulch from the tree services so it has a lot of leaves which helps. I am only slightly less concerned about storms than I was the last two seasons.

Cool that your mango is in bloom, the other one my just be too young still, getting fruit that you can't buy anywhere is the best part about growing tropical fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk