Author Topic: Best % shade cloth?  (Read 2638 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Best % shade cloth?
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »
need some shade cloth as it looks like it's shaping up to be a hot spring and killer summer. Was thinking 50 percent shade cloth for young soursop etc or should I go something with a higher blocking factor?

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
Re: Best % shade cloth?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 06:58:23 AM »
50 percent should be fine. Are you shading the top or sides? Or both?   I find the 70 percent is fine for the sides if the top is open like an open tube or tall box.  The 70 percent is also good wind protection.   Dave

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:27:53 AM »
I would do 50% at the sides and 70% on top because here the sun is right above us, not in an angle.

My plastic wirenet is 10 months old now and the sun made it very brittle allready. I think 6 more months and it will fall apart.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:51:02 PM »
I like 50% shade cloth.  It provides a simulated understory environments that is ideal for most juvenile plants.   

If you go with 70%, the plants will need more hardening off before out-planting them.

For more sensitive plants a few coconut fronds on top can further reduce sunlight, or add a second layer in a smaller area.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
I like 50% shade cloth.  It provides a simulated understory environments that is ideal for most juvenile plants.   

If you go with 70%, the plants will need more hardening off before out-planting them.

For more sensitive plants a few coconut fronds on top can further reduce sunlight, or add a second layer in a smaller area.

Good point Jay.  That is why I only use the 70 % with an open top:) 

Has it rained in your part of the world yet?  I'm hoping that it has.  Best,  Dave

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
If there was only one type that was the best, then only one type would be made and used. Not so simple. Different degrees of shading are necessary in different climates. Also different degrees of shading are necessary at different stages of growth. Generally plants need the most shade when they are very small, then amount of shading can be slowly reduced, until they go full sun. I use 3 different shadecloths in shadehouse (80, 63, and 50%) and move plants to lesser shade as they get older. In extremely hot climates as much as 80% shading may be necessary in the beginning. In very cloudy areas, or time of year when it's very cloudy, no shading at all will be necessary. So really you need to experiment a bit to see what works best for you at your place.
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
If there was only one type that was the best, then only one type would be made and used. Not so simple. Different degrees of shading are necessary in different climates. Also different degrees of shading are necessary at different stages of growth. Generally plants need the most shade when they are very small, then amount of shading can be slowly reduced, until they go full sun. I use 3 different shadecloths in shadehouse (80, 63, and 50%) and move plants to lesser shade as they get older. In extremely hot climates as much as 80% shading may be necessary in the beginning. In very cloudy areas, or time of year when it's very cloudy, no shading at all will be necessary. So really you need to experiment a bit to see what works best for you at your place.

Ok considering that and the amount of harsh sun exposure these plants will be getting I'll opt  for higher blocking rate screen. I've noticed that the soursop leaves which are developed can handle the heat well but the emerging growth gets cooked and dies off. I will be able to post pictures in a few days when the new pc arrives, too much of a hassle on this iPad. I'm growing a straight row over anonna, ten trees-- five soursop and five rollinia. The rollinia seem to be totally oblivious to the heat.... Much hardier than the graviola.  The forecast for the wet season in Australia this year is not good, looks like it's going to be hot and dry (again). Back to back failed wet seasons, not good.

I'm still a bit confused as to how to set it up, as to whether to put a cover over the top of the plant or to surround them in it. I'm thinking option b as the sun doesn't just sit in one place in the sky all day obviously and as another poster pointed out circular screening might replicate natural conditions.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
I'm still a bit confused as to how to set it up, as to whether to put a cover over the top of the plant or to surround them in it. I'm thinking option b as the sun doesn't just sit in one place in the sky all day obviously and as another poster pointed out circular screening might replicate natural conditions.
[/quote]

As Oscar suggested, see what works best for you.  After experimenting at my place, a tall "tube"  (you can drive three or four stakes or rods into the ground and wrap the fabric around the stakes) seems to work best for seedlings that are a couple of years old.  It blocks the wind, casts shade but still allows some direct sun in from the top at midday. 

Hope this helps.  Dave