Author Topic: Fresh Nopale in NY?  (Read 3129 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Fresh Nopale in NY?
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:40 AM »
I have a friend in NY who has a medical situation that warrants some fresh Nopale / prickly pear cactus pads in his diet.  Does anyone know where in NY city (China town?) fresh Nopale is sold?

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Nopale in NY?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »
Hi,

I would look in predominantly Hispanic or Latin neighborhoods, for grocery stores in their communities. I am not too familiar with NY city, so can't give you a particular area or Grocery store name, but if your friend can find a grocery store that sells Mexican/Hispanic, or Latin groceries, they are sure to carry Nopales.

Here in Texas, Nopales, come in whole pads with the thorns, that you have to clean before you cook. Also you can get whole pads, with the thorns cleaned for you. And now most stores also carry Nopales that are already cleaned and diced ready to cook.

I am certain that if your friend asks around in that community, they will be readily available. Ask them to look up Latin groceries in the yellow pages and call the store to ask for Nopales. ..:) Even if they don't have them, they'll direct you to a supplier.

I hope this helps and that your friend can locate them, but if not, just leave me a note. They are available here, and I can mail some to them.

Good Luck..:)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
Thanks GreenThumb!

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:38:14 PM »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi,

I would look in predominantly Hispanic or Latin neighborhoods, for grocery stores in their communities. I am not too familiar with NY city, so can't give you a particular area or Grocery store name, but if your friend can find a grocery store that sells Mexican/Hispanic, or Latin groceries, they are sure to carry Nopales.

Here in Texas, Nopales, come in whole pads with the thorns, that you have to clean before you cook. Also you can get whole pads, with the thorns cleaned for you. And now most stores also carry Nopales that are already cleaned and diced ready to cook.

I am certain that if your friend asks around in that community, they will be readily available. Ask them to look up Latin groceries in the yellow pages and call the store to ask for Nopales. ..:) Even if they don't have them, they'll direct you to a supplier.

I hope this helps and that your friend can locate them, but if not, just leave me a note. They are available here, and I can mail some to them.

Good Luck..:)

Hi GT
The majority of Hispanics in NYC are Puerto Ricans,Dominicans and Cubans. Nopales is used in the Mexican cuisine. I doubt it that you can find it in the Hispanic markets over there.....now Texas and California is another story.

Tao2

• temperate south end of planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:12 AM »
hi
I'm collecting all types of good eating cacti fruits.......................mostly starting from seed  and cuttings where available...................anyway I belong to the local cacti club and while gathering you tube vids for a talk on all the different edible fruits from cacti.............and some pads................came across this vid................its an advert for nopal juice .......nothing to do with me................but your friend may be able to contact the company and order the juice directly...................of course could also phone some texas supermarkets......or fruit stores and have them sent to NY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Uz3ejQBbX_U

The power of Nopal cactus
Nopalea (Nō-pah lay uh) blends antioxidant-rich Nopal cactus superfruit with naturally sweet Agave nectar to bring you a deliciously unique concentrated wellness drink. Harnessing the power of betalains, a rare and powerful class of antioxidants that flourishes in the Nopal fruit, Nopalea delivers scientifically proven health benefits.

The purity of premium fruit
Nopalea uses only the freshest Nopal cactus fruit and preserves its antioxidant potency in our state-of-the-art facility. We carefully harvest the fruit using sustainable wildcrafting techniques that have been practiced in the Sonoran Desert for thousands of years.

The strength to heal and thrive
Nopalea is a natural, low-calorie concentrated wellness drink that helps you live a healthier life. Drink Nopalea daily to help:

Protect against premature aging
Reduce inflammation
Promote optimal cellular health
Detoxify the body

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
You know, I live further south and grow all sorts of prickly pear cactus in my garden and I eat both the pads and the fruit, and I have this one Mexican cafe (hole-in-the-wall) that I like to eat at and they serve a great nopale salad. Yet still my blood sugars are high. I also follow a low carb diet in attempts to keep diabetes at bay. Yet still my blood sugars are on the high side of normal. And I also take medicine every day in order to keep both sugar and insulin within the normal boundaries and yet STILL my blood work show elevated sugars and insulin. It is a great plant to grow and eat but it isn't the wonder cure-all some would have you believe. Now your friend may have some other medical condition besides blood sugar issues and this plant may turn things around for them - it doesn't do anything for me.

I always found it odd that if you look at the North American map and color in the areas where Opuntia is widely eaten and then overlay that with the areas where people suffer with diabetes...they pretty much match up. Yet people still consider this plant the cure for that disease. hmmmmmmmmm

Tao2

• temperate south end of planet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »
Yet still my blood sugars are high. I also follow a low carb diet in attempts to keep diabetes at bay. Yet still my blood sugars are on the high side of normal. . Yet people still consider this plant the cure for that disease. hmmmmmmmmm
[/quote]

yeah you can't just rely on a single plant.............great and underutilised as cactus fruit is..............its type 2 which along with obesity is plaguing the west......and emerging developing counties (which says it all really) eat like a westerner die like a westerner................I think you have to address your lifestyle ................don't be over weight ...aim to be lean and keen..........be physically active walk bike climb garden...........try to avoid polluted environments ...air pollution takes years from your life...avoid stress ...(another life span eater)........and of course ones diet............aim for fresh raw organic fruit and veg to dominate your diet..............stay away from red and fatty meats...and milk products/cheeses and eggs....particularly if factory farmed....(loaded with growth hormones)........if your must eat meat go for wild fish (if you don't mind the heavy metals)......don't fry......stay clear of high carb foods..........like white breads..and similar high processed baked goods ....paster etc........eat lots of fresh salads........lots of fresh fruits......steamed veg.....whole grain  breads in moderation....................theres heaps of info
 out there..............its common knowledge a calorie restricted diet extends lifespan..............take fish oil, B12 ...D3 supplements use cold pressed olive oils on your bread and salads.............sadly popular culture see's vegan as a dirty word................but check out NHS hospital stats.....for the proof of the pudding  :)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »
You know, I live further south and grow all sorts of prickly pear cactus in my garden and I eat both the pads and the fruit, and I have this one Mexican cafe (hole-in-the-wall) that I like to eat at and they serve a great nopale salad. Yet still my blood sugars are high. I also follow a low carb diet in attempts to keep diabetes at bay. Yet still my blood sugars are on the high side of normal. And I also take medicine every day in order to keep both sugar and insulin within the normal boundaries and yet STILL my blood work show elevated sugars and insulin. It is a great plant to grow and eat but it isn't the wonder cure-all some would have you believe. Now your friend may have some other medical condition besides blood sugar issues and this plant may turn things around for them - it doesn't do anything for me.

I always found it odd that if you look at the North American map and color in the areas where Opuntia is widely eaten and then overlay that with the areas where people suffer with diabetes...they pretty much match up. Yet people still consider this plant the cure for that disease. hmmmmmmmmm

Thank you for your post.  To be sure, it is not regarded as a "cure" for diabetes, and there is nothing on this earth that categorically is.  One must understand why the diabetes exists to begin with and for some people, once they have exhausted their insulin production, no food or drug can revive that system.  Period.  Now, there will be foods that contains substances that help, and in cases help tremendously.  I highly suggest a low glycemic diet rather than just low carb.  Of course, study this extensively and check with your medical practiotioner of choice. 

As much as the boob tube promotes it, nothing can actually cure an overall bad lifestyle - and that includes stressful reactions, inactivity etc.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk