Author Topic: What tropical fruits impress normal people?  (Read 14297 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
What tropical fruits impress normal people?
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been pondering lately if I am growing the right kinds of plants (about 50 different species). If I take away all the personal satisfaction of actually growing a rare fruit plant, when it comes time to eat the fruit and especially sharing fruits with "normal" people who are not fanatic or devoted like me to tropical fruits I have many times been a little disappointed that others don't appreciate the fruits as I do. Is this all because I have become attached to my plants too much
and that subconsciously it makes me believe that the fruit tastes great? So I have been thinking that maybe there is more to it than just happily growing rare fruits. Perhaps what I want ideally is to actually impress people with my fruits to make them want to grow them too. So far that hasn't happened, with one
exception and that is jaboticaba (that jaboticaba jam is heaven! - and someone here knows exactly what I am talking about).  I am glad I have a few different varieties of jaboticaba growing. Also I have high hopes that my Achachairu and the Mexican Garcinia will be a great fruit for "common people".

Anyone with ideas/comments?

Tomas

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: What tropical fruits impress normal people?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
I know exactly what you mean, Tomas. I've brought prime lychees to a dinner party and had some people marvel at the look only to turn their noses up at the flavor.  Same with jakfruit.  It is universally revered for its appearance but many that try it, don't think very much of it.  Many out and out don't like it.  I am sure durian would be the same with even a higher percentage of dislikers.  Mangoes are becoming more and more mainstream with the general public and I have seen less and less people turn their nose up at mangoes.  Likewise, growing pineapples and bananas are generally very impressive to most non-growers.  I have not seen anyone that was not totally blown away by their first expeince with miracle fruit.  But, in my view, you will never please all of the people all of the time.  And, there is great satisfaction in giving some of the people that ultimate fruit eating reaction when they taste something that really blows them away.  This week I was fortunate to share some cherimoya with a Jamaican lady who works in the same office building I do.  Sweet Sop is her all time favorite fruit. And, not having had it in many years since she left Jamaica, she was very ripe for being blown away by a good cherimoya.  Well......it was amazing.  The smile and the slurping were incredible to behold.  She cleaned that cherimoya right off its skin and seeds like someone who was relishing their last meal on earth.  I love sharing fruits in this way.  There are mnay times that I get far more satisfction in turning someone on to a new fruit or fruit variety than if I was going to eat the fruit myself. So grow what pleases you.  People will come along and show you the greatest admiration for allowing them the pleasure to try the fruit of your labor.

Harry

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:10 PM »
I first sampled Cherimoya back in 2008.  I loved the taste.  It's humble appearance belies the flavor inside.  That's how I got started in fruit growing. 

Appearance-wise, I think a starfruit/carambola will impress people.  I enjoy the sweet/tart taste, but some may not like it as much.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
I have been using my GF as a sampler to see which fruits she enjoys. She loves lychees (but who doesnt), she always loves the guavas as well. Yacon has gotten the warmest reception everyone who has tried that has loved the taste of the tuber fresh, and especially juiced. Hoping to get some tasty fresh Mangoes sometime in the future , that would be a nice accomplishment from the container garden.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:05:06 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have been pondering lately if I am growing the right kinds of plants (about 50 different species). If I take away all the personal satisfaction of actually growing a rare fruit plant, when it comes time to eat the fruit and especially sharing fruits with "normal" people who are not fanatic or devoted like me to tropical fruits I have many times been a little disappointed that others don't appreciate the fruits as I do. Is this all because I have become attached to my plants too much
and that subconsciously it makes me believe that the fruit tastes great? So I have been thinking that maybe there is more to it than just happily growing rare fruits. Perhaps what I want ideally is to actually impress people with my fruits to make them want to grow them too. So far that hasn't happened, with one
exception and that is jaboticaba (that jaboticaba jam is heaven! - and someone here knows exactly what I am talking about).  I am glad I have a few different varieties of jaboticaba growing. Also I have high hopes that my Achachairu and the Mexican Garcinia will be a great fruit for "common people".

Tomas

No offense please, but "normal" Americans are by far the sorriest lot when it comes to appreciating fruits. Ofcourse most of you are exceptions (so abnormal?)  :D. Most Americans prefer a candy bar or a hostess twinkie or a donut. They're just not that much into fruits. So my recomendation is to somehow get over the wish of trying to impress others. Just relish the fact that you like the fruits you grow and enjoy them without needing to please others.
Oscar
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »
A ripened Florida backyard (or from a grove) mango will impress visitors who have only eaten lousy supermarket mangoes "up north".  But many regular ol Americans (I'm one myself) who live in Florida will refuse to eat a mango and many claim to be allergic which I don't believe. I tell them to grow fruit trees for food and to enhance their real estate value and they just don't get it. So grow an avocado tree (just about everyone likes avocados) and they won't do that. I offer to help relatives and friends up north to buy and plant an apple, cherry or peach tree....They say yes but never follow through.  And don't tell me they are too busy with children and paying mortgages.....not even one fruit tree which if nothing else enhances real estate value and aesthetics??

My conclusion is most people have 100% bought into the buy at the supermarket mentality and they ain't gonna change unless the SHTF 8) but that's when everyone will be scrounging and it will be too late

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »
Local groceries do try to bring in more and more varieties of tropical fruit...even here in Columbus, Oh.  The problem is that more often than not, the fruit is so sub par, even the most desparate would not eat them.  My wife recently came home with altulfo mangos.  So sour even the dogs made faces!

Cherimoyas are normally found throughout the year as well.  And very pricey.  But for anyone purchasing any cherimoya with a sticker from outside of the USA, they are in for a bitter disappointment.  I've been burned several times thinking/hoping it was a fluke.  Nope, just piss-poor fruit.  Get some with USA on the sticker, then all are good while most are simply wonderful.

We've had lychees and even rambutan here as well.  So pricey most rotted in their packages.  Even then, they looked like they had been thru hell and back.  The rambutans were black and even I couldn't even recognize them. 

So it's no surprise that "normal" people are not impressed with fruit.  When companies like Melissa's Fruit and others, and stores, bring in crappy fruit like that, these people aren't going to pull out their greenbacks again.  I can't begin to imagine the waste.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 07:48:48 AM »
I am sad to admit that Oscar is all too right about the "normal" Americans. If you want more reaction to fruits you are growing, there is no doubt that you will receive far more adulation and appreciation if you start hanging around more ethnic folk.  I would highly recommend most people with Caribbean roots, Central or South Americans and of course, most East and Southest Asians.  Southern Europeans could crack into the line-up of fruit appreciators.  I do know lots of very passionate Italian fruit eaters.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
Well, there are more to fruit(tree)s than taste - many of the trees have beautiful flowers, foliage or fruit appearance which will impress most people. E.g. Dragon fruit, Pachira sp. many annonaceae etc. I guess that is the only real reason Cucumis metuliferus sells at all...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »
We have a guesthouse on our property, so we have loads of "normal people" come through.  They get a bowl of whatever fruit is available.  Bananas are the #1 hit, as are the citrus, mangoes and avocados.  People always say "I had starfruit from the supermarket at home, and I didn't like it" have to be pressed into trying fresh from the tree. Canistel is a hard sell, as are caimito, abius, soursop and sugar apples.  North Americanos are just not used to mushy fruits.
I also bring fruit to work for locals to try. They are more adventurous and more used to mushy fleshed fruits.  They really enjoy the taste tests.  I once brought a bag of rambutans in and went around with a knife opening them and  made everyone try them and 100% of people loved them.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
I brought a bunch of fruits from PR in to work.  Everyone loved the langsats, lemon drop mangosteens, and went crazy over the achachairu.  There are folks you have to nearly sit on top of and force their mouths open to try one of these fruits.  Their expressions are always the most satisfying!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »
Great to hear from you all! It sounds like I cannot go wrong with some really tasty mangoes to add to my collection. I actually have been thinking about that for a while. I do have one Mallika but the person who sold it to me didn't tell me about the proper ripening procedure so the first fruits tasted really bad. And last year all the fruit fell off. This year I hope I will have some GOOD Mallika. I also I forgot about my small cambuca trees. I think those fruits will please most people.

Tomas

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
Tomas,
Next time you come over, I will make sure to have a couple jars of jabuticaba jam for you!
I came to a conclusion that I grow fruit trees because a enjoy eating them.  They are a healthy part of my diet.   I get great satisfaction when I give them to people that appreciate them.  They are as "normal" people as they come because they had the opportunity to learn how to eat and enjoy them.  Ask my Brazilian, African, Dominican, Jamaican, Romanian, Italian, Greek, Portuguese friends? 
My friend Tomas, grow those beautiful fruit trees you have, for your and your family's enjoyment!  Send me the ones left over! hahahahahahahahahah

North_Tree_Man

• Downingtown, PA - 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
I've given up trying to expand the horizons of most Americans...let them live in their McDonalds nightmare. Most won't even try all of the temperate fruits, let alone tropicals/subtropicals. One time I brought a bunch of fresh, good lychees into work, and most of the "meat & tater" folk just turned up their noses. Some said they looked too much like eyeballs. So, I just went with that , and bought a couple cans of lychees in syrup for that next Halloween. I put big blueberries in the empty seed cavity, and they looked great! Just like eyeballs...and tasted alright, even though they were from a can. They were a hit at the party we went to. Sad that I had to use a gimmick to get people to try them though.

Gryffindor4

• Jacksonville, Florida zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

Tomas

No offense please, but "normal" Americans are by far the sorriest lot when it comes to appreciating fruits. Ofcourse most of you are exceptions (so abnormal?)  :D. Most Americans prefer a candy bar or a hostess twinkie or a donut. They're just not that much into fruits. So my recomendation is to somehow get over the wish of trying to impress others. Just relish the fact that you like the fruits you grow and enjoy them without needing to please others.
Oscar

This. I really can't understand why anyone would prefer sweets to fruit. I mean, I like sweets too, but set cake next to fruit and I'll definitely eat the fruit first.

I don't think it's just Americans though; I'm on a UK forum where lots of people only like a few fruits.

natsgarden123

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:51 AM »
A little snobby here..I once belonged to a wine club and they all said the same thing... ;D

Many of my friends enjoy the fruits ( at least the fruits that i think are really good) when introduced to them. I have also made Jam for Christmas gifts... people really like that

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
You've got to work on the next generation, my daughter loves most the fruits I let her try (including durian) and my young son loves avocado, banana, white sapote and green sapote so far.

It is fun finding adventurous people willing to try new things and people like Harry's coworker who haven't had something for years.  I started to give my neighbor across the alley a few passionfruit and explain how to ripen/eat them.  When she saw them her eyes lit up so I went got her a bunch more.  Now she and her husband participate in CRFG and they receive samples of various fruits from me to try.  That reminds me, I have some mamey ice cream for them.

Grow them for your own joy.

-Ethan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
You've got to work on the next generation, my daughter loves most the fruits I let her try (including durian) and my young son loves avocado, banana, white sapote and green sapote so far.

It is fun finding adventurous people willing to try new things and people like Harry's coworker who haven't had something for years.  I started to give my neighbor across the alley a few passionfruit and explain how to ripen/eat them.  When she saw them her eyes lit up so I went got her a bunch more.  Now she and her husband participate in CRFG and they receive samples of various fruits from me to try.  That reminds me, I have some mamey ice cream for them.

Grow them for your own joy.

-Ethan

I think you hit the nail on the head Ethan. Most of us enjoy eating what we were taught and accustomed to eat as children. I remember my parents always included fruits in my lunch box, either banana, orange, or apple. I still remember eating with other "normal" american children, they always got their hostess cup cake or hostess twinkie or donut for dessert, along with either a baloney sandwich or a peanut butter/jelly, or tuna sandwhich on Wonder bread. So yes, best thing is to influence kids to appreciate eating fruits, those good eating habits start early. I think the same is true for appreciation of gardening, great to get kid's hands in the soil early.
Oscar
Oscar

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »
I love sharing fruit with my friends and co-workers.  They are really impressed with Cherimoya, good Dragonfruit, Mango, White Sapote, Lychee, Longan and Rambutan.  I don't grow all of these but purchase some from the fruit market when they are in season.  Surprisingly, out of all these tropical/sub-tropical fruit, I got the biggest response from some freshly picked Strawberries from Carlsbad.  The quality of our store bought mangoes, Lychees and Longans are usually horrible.  Sometimes I will be lucky enough to get a good case of Kent or Champaigne mangoes.
Simon

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
I really enjoyed reading through this thread, and I can really relate to most of what has been said here. 

I grew up in Orange County California, back when orange groves were everywhere.  I found the oranges to be great, for use as projectiles that is :).  We used to roam those groves as kids, chucking oranges at each others heads, but rarely eating them.

I never really was fond of fruit, with the exception of watermelon and honeydew.  All I was exposed to I suppose was the typical north american supermarket fare, which I found pretty tasteless. 

My first exposure to tropical flavors was through eating tropical fruit flavor life saver candy.  I can still remember thinking how wonderful they were. That was at least 30 years ago.

Then I moved to my current home in South Florida in 2004.  The previous owner had 3 mango trees, 3 sweetsop, 1 guanabana, 1 custard apple, 1 hog plum, 1 caimito, 1 sapodilla, and a lot of coconut. 

After the first season, I was completely hooked, possibly obsessed :).  I never new fruit could be this good.  So I went kinda nuts planting out mostly mango's (20 or so) and a few other things like Jackfruit, Lychee, Mulberry, Carambola, etc.

I also try to share with many co-workers, friends, etc.  Most really like them, but few have planted out any trees.  I also find the folks who tend to be the most passionate about the fruit are from the Carribean and South America. In general North Americans seem much less enthusiastic, myself excluded :)

natsgarden123

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 09:41:13 PM »
I agree with ethan and fruitlover about the future generations. My son loves tropical fruit growing. I remember taking him on trips to Excalibur. He loved to ride on the golfcart, taste the fruit, hear about the trees and then pick one for us to take home and plant. My little guy (he's now 6' and in college) is still very interested . He knows about most every fruit and he takes a lot of interest in the whole thing.  I'm sure when the time comes, he will have quite the orchard

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »
Tomas,

more people are catching on!  Also if  your collection is relatively new, it can take around 10yrs for some stuff to really fruit, so it will take time for trees to grow, and peoples brains to expand...so they can accept your amazing plants for who they are!

LOL

You will have amazed friends, eager to eat your fruits before you know it!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:01:06 AM »
I certainly only grow what I like. If others don't care for the fruit, so be it. In my opinion a major part of the problem is that folks generally get their fruit and vegetables at supermarkets and that's rarely very good fare. I grew up in the mid south and know what real peaches, apples, pears and berries taste like because I got them from the grower. Coupled with the attitude that fruit isn't too tasty (like the standard cinnamon donut) and the unfamiliar appearance of some tropicals leads to some rejection. Taste is acquired with familiarity.
Richard

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 08:46:17 AM »
Great topic!  I just finished a book that explores this subject and our passion for fruit in a pretty funny way. "the fruit hunters". By Adam leith gollner.  Anybody else read it?  Dave

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:18 PM »
Great topic!  I just finished a book that explores this subject and our passion for fruit in a pretty funny way. "the fruit hunters". By Adam leith gollner.  Anybody else read it?  Dave

The author of that book, Adam Gollner, came and visitied me before writing that book, and there is a little section in there about me. He is a funny guy, a great writer, but not very good with recording his facts. But all is forgiven as he makes you laugh!
Oscar
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk