Author Topic: A few old pics from Krohn Conservatory  (Read 1810 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
A few old pics from Krohn Conservatory
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:29:35 PM »
I was looking through some older photos, and found some from Krohn Conservatory. If you ever plan on visiting Ohio, or live around here, it has a nice Butterfly show in the spring. This gorgeous conservatory has been around since 1933 and has over 3,500 plant species! Of course what caught my attention was the fruiting plants. I wish they had more, but I feel that they'd have to micromanage them more than most of their non-fruiting plants. Krohn has several connected greenhouses, one of each climate: desert, tropical, palm, and orchid. I took some pics of the Satsuma(?) citrus, papayas, and cacao. I have also seen Buddha's hand citrus and pomegranate plants. I just find it to be awesome that any of this is growing nearby me! But I'm sure A LOT of moola has gone into it. I am thinking about visiting and inquiring about it's history and maintenance. 
Here are some forgotten pics from 2014.  :D

Anisha

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Re: A few old pics from Krohn Conservatory
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:45:10 PM »
Reminds me of the SF conservatory of flowers though that's more tropical. I'm going to be volunteering there in late spring/summer but I'll post some pics of their fruiting plants next time I visit.
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10:08 AM »
Reminds me of the SF conservatory of flowers though that's more tropical. I'm going to be volunteering there in late spring/summer but I'll post some pics of their fruiting plants next time I visit.
That's cool. I've had an opportunity to volunteer at krohn. It wasn't the best experience because of the limited info they gave me before hand, but I still like the place. :) It's a good opportunity to ask questions, since there are probably more peeps in Cali with info for you than peeps in Ohio. At least I have the internet/forum to ask my questions. XD
Anisha

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:43:34 AM »
That's cool. I've had an opportunity to volunteer at krohn. It wasn't the best experience because of the limited info they gave me before hand, but I still like the place. :) It's a good opportunity to ask questions, since there are probably more peeps in Cali with info for you than peeps in Ohio. At least I have the internet/forum to ask my questions. XD

I learned about plants from my close friend as well as the internet. Luckily, the plants they have are all ones I specialize in, so I already know more than most of the volunteers, despite being the youngest person to volunteer. I still have stuff to learn about some of their plants, so I'm excited for the experience. Going to be answering a lot of questions  :D
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:35:53 AM »
Hopefully they have good bathrooms...HeyoHH!
-Chris