Author Topic: No blooms on Satsumas in ground  (Read 2410 times)

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
No blooms on Satsumas in ground
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:51:11 PM »
I have three Satsumas and one Meyer in ground at my farm. They had a tough winter but my protection held up and they did not defoliate. They are finally trying to have a flush of new leaves but very few blooms. I have less than five blooms on any of these trees. I have other trees in other places doing much better. The trees not doing anything are the biggest and oldest I have. Probably 8 years old and on dwarfing rootstock. The Meyer had 70 fruit last year and 130 the year before. Never much fruit on the Sats and I thought this might be a big year. Other Sats in other places are doing better. Not many insects on these trees either. The ones at home had lots of blooms and now lots of tiny fruit. The white flies exploded and I had to spray oil. Killed almost all white flies but these trees are loaded with fruit. Any ideas about why the older trees are doing so poorly? A friend has a tree we moved at his house three years ago for more sun. It looks great but no fruit or blooms either. Thanks. Tom in zone 8 on 5/5/14

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: No blooms on Satsumas in ground
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »
Tom, did you protect your Satsuma trees throughout the winter months by supplying higher temperatures during the winter? In other words, did your Satsuma trees get the required amount of chill hours to inable the tree's buds to differentiate from foliage buds into flower buds? - Millet

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »
Millet, great point. I only covered them when we had horrible cold temps coming as in below 25 * F for long periods of time below freezing. Never more than 60 hours.  I would think they received plenty of chill hours. We had a terrible winter for us and I put the frost cloth up only when necessary because I didn't want to break dormancy.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
From what you write, I'm sure your Satsuma's received ample chill temperatures.  Of all citrus, Satsuma need  chill hours more than other citrus varieties.  However, all citrus will put on a heaver crop with chill hours. - Millet

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:22 PM »
Even though they didn't loose their leaves I think they are wary and taking their time!  I have been too careful about fertilizer and been too conservative before this year. I was afraid I might burn both the in ground and potted citrus. I watered the potted stuff so much it never showed any burn. We had so much rain on the in ground stuff they didn't burn at all either but I wasn't as worried about in ground. I'm thinking I will be going with 5 tablespoons of miracle grow in five gallons of water ASAP and saturate everything. I'll watch a week and probably put some more granular on too. Some new growth in ground but not a flush yet and it's getting late. In ground is on a raised bed and sandy so all the rain is probably the culprit except the potted stuff had rain and me watering when the pots did dry out between gully washes. I'm definitely still learning. Thanks. Tom