Author Topic: Fastest growing tropical/subtropical shrub/bush?  (Read 2575 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Fastest growing tropical/subtropical shrub/bush?
« on: December 29, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for a tropical/subtropical shrub/bush that grows very fast, is relatively tough (doesn't need careful watering) and makes a decent hedge?

Mistozy

• North San Diego County
    • View Profile
Re: Fastest growing tropical/subtropical shrub/bush?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:36:22 PM »
I plan on using moringa trees for a hedge, since they have a really fast growth rate. I'm starting them from seeds right now indoor, and am aiming for a few feet growth this next year.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »
I plan on using moringa trees for a hedge, since they have a really fast growth rate. I'm starting them from seeds right now indoor, and am aiming for a few feet growth this next year.

They (moringa) grow like 10ft a year.  It turns into a pretty big plant.  I did grow it but the taste is so bad I got rid of them.  They dont stay looking nice during winter either.

Strawberry guava and pineapple guava grow fast and make handsome evergreen bushes.  They are also quite hardy and not picky about water.  Thry stay looking beautiful all year.  Citrus can be kept like a bush also. 
Brad Spaugh

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Acerola cherry is another one.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 11:16:49 PM »

They (moringa) grow like 10ft a year.  It turns into a pretty big plant.  I did grow it but the taste is so bad I got rid of them.  They dont stay looking nice during winter either.

Strawberry guava and pineapple guava grow fast and make handsome evergreen bushes.  They are also quite hardy and not picky about water.  Thry stay looking beautiful all year.  Citrus can be kept like a bush also.

I've been leaning towards Citrus lately because you're right it can work as a bush and grow fast.

I don't get that fast of growth on Pineapple or Strawberry/Lemon Guava, at least not as fast as other things, but otherwise they would be perfect.  I guess I'm hoping for something that grows at the rate of White Sapote or Papaya but stays in a bush-like form.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 12:29:05 AM »
Citrus on C35 rootstock grow fast.  Just be careful what you wish for.
Brad Spaugh

Itay Gazit

• san jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 12:35:01 AM »
From the above, barbedos cherry is the fastest

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi Barath, depending on how large a hedge you want white sapote can make a very nice one if properly pruned to begin with, my 25 year old tree is 8 feet tall and the branches umbrella to the ground. it would be best to direct sow the seed and happy to send seed if you like.    Regards   Patrick

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 09:43:58 AM »
Hi Barath, depending on how large a hedge you want white sapote can make a very nice one if properly pruned to begin with, my 25 year old tree is 8 feet tall and the branches umbrella to the ground. it would be best to direct sow the seed and happy to send seed if you like.    Regards   Patrick

Good point -- the main challenge I've had with white sapote is that it takes a lot of careful pruning in the early years...

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
not really Barath look up "drop crotch pruning" very easy and very little after care if done right, glad to have you come buy next time you are in my area

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
Seems like White Sapote hedge would be dependent on variety.
Is your 8 ft hedge fuzzy leaved? These tend to grow umbrella shape while non fuzzy type grow erect no matter how I prune.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 08:03:38 PM »
Governors plum and blackberry jam make good hedges here. Very dense, bushy plants with fruit frequently. Not everyone is convinced by the fruit quality of blackberry jam but it always has fruit and the flowers are very nice.
Peter

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
Barath, not so much tropical but opuntia cactus can make a very fast hedge in 3-4 years from single pad into 2-3' tall and wide hedge! Good luck  ;)

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
Governors plum and blackberry jam make good hedges here. Very dense, bushy plants with fruit frequently. Not everyone is convinced by the fruit quality of blackberry jam but it always has fruit and the flowers are very nice.
Peter

Interesting -- never heard of blackberry jam fruit hedges...

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
Barath, not so much tropical but opuntia cactus can make a very fast hedge in 3-4 years from single pad into 2-3' tall and wide hedge! Good luck  ;)

Yeah, agreed -- they work well especially in spots that get no water or care.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2020, 06:12:40 PM »
I'm growing a 100 foot food/hedge 'Fedge' using an edible leaf plant called "Katuk" (Sauropus androgynus). The best edible part of the plant is the tender young tips so pruning and harvesting greens happens at the same time. These were planted from seedlings on 2 ft centers. They grow quickly but I have been cutting them back regularly to develop low branches. I'd like to get these to grow together and prune them tight beside the driveway. They do make small white seeds.

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2020, 09:07:23 PM »
Pitanga (Eugenia uniflora) grows quite fast, and if planted close to which other is almost impossible to cross by. Also once established doesn't need regular watering, and only some pruning once in a while. I've seen them being used here for that purpose with very good results.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
I'm growing a 100 foot food/hedge 'Fedge' using an edible leaf plant called "Katuk" (Sauropus androgynus). The best edible part of the plant is the tender young tips so pruning and harvesting greens happens at the same time. These were planted from seedlings on 2 ft centers. They grow quickly but I have been cutting them back regularly to develop low branches. I'd like to get these to grow together and prune them tight beside the driveway. They do make small white seeds.

That an interesting plant and i wonder how does it tastes?
On wikipedia it also says it makes edible and palatable fruits but that the leaves and young shots taste better.
Im trying to grow Toona Sinensis for the leaves and shots but thats a big tree and altough verry exotic its temperate.
The leaves taste like fryed beans with a little pepper and roasted onions.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
For Katuk, the leaves taste somewhat like raw peanuts. they are not bitter at all. The fruit pods (when young) taste somewhat like snow peas.

It's interesting they fruit for you in pine island. I seem to lack the pollinator here in cape coral and they do not set fruit. My mom has plants in Tampa (that i gifted her from the same stock i have) that regularly set fruit though.
- Colin

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 11:29:53 AM »
Seems like White Sapote hedge would be dependent on variety.
Is your 8 ft hedge fuzzy leaved? These tend to grow umbrella shape while non fuzzy type grow erect no matter how I prune.
my 8' tree is a suebella