Author Topic: Why is my thornless key lime so sad???  (Read 1245 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Why is my thornless key lime so sad???
« on: October 21, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
I cannot figure out what this guy needs. It has looked this way since I got it last summer.  Soil is not overly dry or sopping wet. I have checked the roots, they are fine. It gets the same treatment as all my other greenhouse citrus that are blooming now.  It is not dropping leaves, but has never put on a new leaf, and these leaves wont perk up. The leaves feel normal, noat wilted or dried out. It gets Osmocote, MiracelGro and foliar citrus nitritional spray just like all the others.
I am stumped...

Thanks, Carolyn

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
Re: Why is my thornless key lime so sad???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
Leaves look dehydrated. Clearly it's a water intake from a root problem, some pathogen not necessary root rot. I would change the soil once again and put it in a mini greenhouse to keep humidity over 90%.
Also it looks like you have a high pH soil.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 10:19:06 PM »
What is the medium blend that the tree is growing in?  When you pull the tree out of the container is the entire medium moist?   Are you sure the roots are not damaged? Is the medium fast draining?  If the medium has compacted than the roots are not receiving enough oxygen. 

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:07:52 AM »
I use Kellogg organic potting mix with lots of extra perlite. The soil is not compacted, and moist clear through. It is fast draining though. I have repotted it since I got it, thinking that was the problem but it didnt help.
The soil pH tests at about 6.5 and I acidify my water down to aout 6.
The roots could be damaged from before I got it.  I have been afraid of overwtaer8ng it, but extra water doesn't perk it up at all.
Maybe I will try tenting it to up the humidity.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
If the medium is fast draining, then you do not have to worry about over watering.  When you see water draining out the bottom that means that oxygen is entering into the top of the medium.  Pick up your watering.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Your soil mixture will dictate your water needs. Water should fill the pot till it runs from the weep holes. After this let the top two inches of soil dry out before you water again. Citrus will like it better if you let it get a little dry before you water. Most of the problems with citrus is a poor soil mixture and too much water.....

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 09:31:06 AM »
So, I pruned my little tree, increased the watering, and bagged it, and it has definitely perked up. Thanks!

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Good on you. Its a good feeling to help a friend.