Author Topic: Growing Ilama (Annona Diversifolia) from seed.  (Read 6924 times)

Fruit Monster

• Australia, Eastern Seaboard
    • View Profile
Growing Ilama (Annona Diversifolia) from seed.
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:45:55 AM »
Hi Fruiters

Have any of you successfully grown Ilama from seed into a mature tree?

I've had two failed experiences with Ilama  so far.

1. I got seeds. Germinated them quickly and easily after soaking in GA3. All was going well up until they were on their 2nd or 3rd set of leaves.  The plants were between 5 and 15 cm when they suddenly got sick. A couple of them had some fungal looking growth around the base of the stem. All their leaves darkened and over the next few weeks they died. At this point the weather was still warm. So I put it down to a fungal condition.

2. I purchased a baby plant. It was about 10 cm tall and had it's first set of leaves. Starting to sprout it's second. It was healthy upon arrival but after a few weeks the same thing happened and it died. I did not see any fungal growth on this plant . This time the weather was cooler at the start of winter but it wasn't yet deep into winter.

I live in a climate similar to Southern Florida or Florianopolis Brazil.  Subtropical with no frosts but it's still cold enough in winter that growing things like Durian or Mangosteen is out of the question.

My next strategy for Ilama is to use Cactus potting mix. So it will be nice and sandy and free draining. And to also purchase some Anti fungal liquid to apply to the potting mix.

Do any of you guys have any hints or tips on how to successfully raise this seemingly fickle yet wonderful fruit from seed into a beast of a tree that will feed my neighborhood Possums, Fruit bats and other assorted critters?

Cheers!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Ilama (Annona Diversifolia) from seed.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 03:18:52 AM »
I planted seeds and stuck 4 in the ground.They grew well and all 4 fruited in under 4 years.One I gave away fruited in less than 3 years.When they are small maybe they don't resist the cold as well as when they are bigger.Larger ones can handle close to freezing.

Fruit Monster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 05:55:26 PM »
I planted seeds and stuck 4 in the ground.They grew well and all 4 fruited in under 4 years.One I gave away fruited in less than 3 years.When they are small maybe they don't resist the cold as well as when they are bigger.Larger ones can handle close to freezing.

That's good to know they can handle established trees can handle some cooler weather. I won't quit on this tree yet.
Quick time to fruiting is a great bonus also.
Cheers Mike.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »
It doesn't sound like the seedlings died from the cold but rather from root rot/seedling dying off due to soil too wet for too long. Also, using GA3 weakens the seedlings considerably and so post germination condition must be close to spotless to avoid weakening the seedlings any further.
Thera

Fruit Monster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 07:14:29 PM »
It doesn't sound like the seedlings died from the cold but rather from root rot/seedling dying off due to soil too wet for too long. Also, using GA3 weakens the seedlings considerably and so post germination condition must be close to spotless to avoid weakening the seedlings any further.
I think you may be right there Thera.
Have you grown Ilama yourself?
Any tips on germinating without the use of GA3 to facilitate a stronger seedling?

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
I have not grown Ilama yet but I have grown a number of seedlings for friends who like you have had problems getting started. That made me look into experimenting different methods to germinate hard to sproute seeds like Ilama.
I posted a thread not long ago on an alternative way to germinate such seeds without GA3.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28910.msg327223#msg327223
Thera

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:11 AM »
Discussed it here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11807.msg261361#msg261361
It looks like Ilama forms this fungi like spots often and city water and dry air reinforce it.
I do not know if it is fungi transmitted by seeds, or something with soil, but outdoor conditions with rain water and sun and normal air humidity help to reduce the symptoms and plant does not die.

Faldon

• south korea, pusan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
I also growing illama tree. Here is very cold in the winter season. (-10C)

I think illama don't like to growing in the greenhouse.

When i moved in the greenhouse or room, leaves are dropped and has some black spot like below pic.

Even though summer !!

So i moved in the greenhour or room during winter, make environment like dry season. (Temp 12~13c and little water.No leaves).

Fillany i see flowers first time. Maybe 3 years... but No fruit.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
I have not grown Ilama yet but I have grown a number of seedlings for friends who like you have had problems getting started. That made me look into experimenting different methods to germinate hard to sproute seeds like Ilama.
I posted a thread not long ago on an alternative way to germinate such seeds without GA3.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=28910.msg327223#msg327223

Thera, do illama come true to seed?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »

I sprouted them with different methods and the GA3 and no treatment at all seem to work best on my first batch of 3 varieties from seeds sent by a forum.The fruit above are those same seeds all grown up. Anyway with GA3 no etoliation was experienced  and this was my primary concern and the seedlings were quite tough thriving on neglect. No sensitivity or unexplained die off took place with seedling sprouted from any germination method.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »

I sprouted them with different methods and the GA3 and no treatment at all seem to work best on my first batch of 3 varieties from seeds sent by a forum.The fruit above are those same seeds all grown up. Anyway with GA3 no etoliation was experienced  and this was my primary concern and the seedlings were quite tough thriving on neglect. No sensitivity or unexplained die off took place with seedling sprouted from any germination method.

Hi Mike, that is nice looking fruit there. Wondering how it tasted? compared to lets say Hillary White?

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:15 PM »
Behl, I've never grown a Ilama to fruiting size but only to about a foot long and then ship them out.

Mike, you must have found the right GA3 ppm for Ilama seeds. If you remember what it was, please share it AND share also the time of soaking. Both are crucial for post germination behavior. Your area seems to be a tropical fruits haven and probably even much better suited than the plants' natural habitats.
Thera

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 01:19:12 AM »
Hi Fruiters

1. I got seeds. Germinated them quickly and easily after soaking in GA3. All was going well up until they were on their 2nd or 3rd set of leaves.  The plants were between 5 and 15 cm when they suddenly got sick. A couple of them had some fungal looking growth around the base of the stem. All their leaves darkened and over the next few weeks they died. At this point the weather was still warm. So I put it down to a fungal condition.

2. I purchased a baby plant. It was about 10 cm tall and had it's first set of leaves. Starting to sprout it's second. It was healthy upon arrival but after a few weeks the same thing happened and it died. I did not see any fungal growth on this plant . This time the weather was cooler at the start of winter but it wasn't yet deep into winter.

I live in a climate similar to Southern Florida or Florianopolis Brazil.  Subtropical with no frosts but it's still cold enough in winter that growing things like Durian or Mangosteen is out of the question.

My next strategy for Ilama is to use Cactus potting mix. So it will be nice and sandy and free draining. And to also purchase some Anti fungal liquid to apply to the potting mix.

Do any of you guys have any hints or tips on how to successfully raise this seemingly fickle yet wonderful fruit from seed into a beast of a tree that will feed my neighborhood Possums, Fruit bats and other assorted critters?

Cheers!
I pollinate llama to atemoya Lisa this year and set 4 Fruits , any one get any have idea ?
thank you

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
well those Lisa fruits now will produce hybrid lisa and illama. save those seeds and grow them for experiment.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »

does anyone have this red colored flesh Ilama here in US? I want to get few scions of it. please let me know. I believe this is not genova red illama. Thanks

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 12:26:57 AM »
Yes I have it , you welcome to  have a scion ,  come get it when you need it

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 01:15:56 AM »
Yes I have it , you welcome to  have a scion ,  come get it when you need it

Thank you!  I can trade other things with you if you like. I will send you PM (did not mean to highkack the thread)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 05:54:40 AM »
The seeds that grew that fruit came from a Floridian moderator and were called Red Genova. It has a great taste and is like it is infused with raspberry.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
The seeds that grew that fruit came from a Floridian moderator and were called Red Genova. It has a great taste and is like it is infused with raspberry.

great. Genova red does not get this deep red color unless I have yet to see one. it must be a variant. how do you compare its taste vs. Hilary white?

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »

great. Genova red does not get this deep red color unless I have yet to see one. it must be a variant. how do you compare its taste vs. Hilary white?

Yes it does it depend of month it ripens come see October

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »

Life is good

Satha

• Sri Lanka
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2024, 06:24:14 AM »
I too had bad experience with ilamas. i kept the seeds in the refregirator for six months and then potted. some sprouted. but they easily attacked by fungii. i applied fungicide. when healed, i fused them to A.Glabra plants. Not only they fused together but developed large leaves and were growing fast. then I planted them on ground. after sometime. leaves were getting dried and were falling one buy one. I applied fungicide but not answering. now only stems are there but it is not dead. cannot uproot also. Ilama is a difficult tree to grow

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2024, 09:32:06 AM »
Is 6mo a good amount of time to let them refrigerate?  I have some I put in last summer, might be time to try sprouting them?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2024, 02:52:25 PM »
Hi Fruiters

Cheers!
I pollinate llama to atemoya Lisa this year and set 4 Fruits , any one get any have idea ?
thank you

Any updates??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk