Author Topic: Which mexican avocado tastes most like a California Hass?  (Read 3509 times)

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Which mexican avocado tastes most like a California Hass?
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
Hi, I am in zone 8b and after dealing with a week of below freezing temps earlier this year I have decided to try and figure out which of the many Mexican avocados will work best for me. I have been thinking about a Oro Negro, but I have never had the opportunity to eat one. The perfect tree would be upright and on the small side, ( easier to protect from hard freezes) it could be a poor producer as long as the quality was good. Just me and the wifey, so we don't need a lot. :)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Which mexican avocado tastes most like a California Hass?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Hi, I am in zone 8b and after dealing with a week of below freezing temps earlier this year I have decided to try and figure out which of the many Mexican avocados will work best for me. I have been thinking about a Oro Negro, but I have never had the opportunity to eat one. The perfect tree would be upright and on the small side, ( easier to protect from hard freezes) it could be a poor producer as long as the quality was good. Just me and the wifey, so we don't need a lot. :)

Definately not Oro Negro. It's good but there are better.  I'm getting Stewart scions in soon and will graft to some Fantastic seedlings. Cold on cold.   Most cold hardy and tastiest of all pure Mexican avocados is Stewart.  The fella that grows it in Central California says it's better quality than Hass, has a quarter size seed, nutty and rich.  That's probably the only one I'd recommend for you for a fine low maintenance cado.  Supposed to be a fairly small tree too.

Tough winter and me and others took quite a hit. Had a greenhouse failure, hit 18F, and am recovering.  I bet I dumped 200 avocados thanks to that freeze.  Oro Negros were just turning black and had about 6 weeks hang time to go.  Have lot's of rootstock now!

I finally broke down and got a wireless temp alarm.  We had 13F for hours that morn and just my luck the heater decides to crap out....on one of the coldest nights in many years.

Reed, a pure guatemelan is pushing a lot of fine green growths real low.  Keep in mind it supposedly is hardy only to 30F being pure Guat.  By comparison my Oro Negro is dead down to the trunk with no signs of life.  Trunk is too big and thick for me to do the green trick.  Am still hoping for miracle as I want to top work the tree.

Check this out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s46Wp0xUMscCvQ2wn78aeAFhhXIUpNB7/view

ON, March 2017:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:31:56 AM by Mark in Texas »

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
I disagree. Oro Negro tastes and looks very similar to your average Haas. In my opinion, they taste better; they are more creamer and richer. I wouldn’t (and haven’t) plant another variety of someone paid me

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
That's good news JR, as my ON is covered in flowers and can't wait to try it. From what I've heard and read, think ON, along with lots of mangoes, grows and fruits differently here than in other parts of the country. So the out-of-state reviews may not apply to us that much, and vice-versa.

The op probably will want to listen to Mark, as their climates and conditions are likely more similar.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:43:30 AM by roblack »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
Stuart is a good upright, smaller size tree with excellet fruit.  8 to 9 months to go from flower to ripe fruit.  They are small fruits though.
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
More info on Stewart:
Orig.in Mentone,San Bernardino County, CA,on the Stewart Ranch.Introd. in 1956; first propagated for trial at the CA Citrus Res.Center,Riverside, in 1952. Chance seedling possibly of Mexicola;Mex. type. Fruit:medium,6-10 oz; pyriform; skin green, but at maturity a rich dark purple, slightly rough, raised lenticels sparse near base but very numerous at apex,corkiness none to very slight, texture soft- leathery, excellent peeling quality; flesh clear, bright, light yellow shading to green toward skin; firm, but melting; excellent quality; ripens from early Oct. to mid-Dec.; oil content about 8% by first of Oct. to about 16% in mid-Nov. Tree: spreading; strong; vigorous; bears good crops. Commercial cultivar in south Africa. (B&O Register) 2 trees are growing at South Coast Research Station, Irvine, CA., field 44, row 10, trees 13&14. These bear well each year, quite fiberous some years, pretty flesh, tasty, small seed. Our observations show the flowers to be B type which does not agree with data from more expert people than we are. For more information see p.90 CAS Yearbook 1963. (J.R.Frink 1998) Origin, CA; Race, Mex.; Flower, A (Lahav & Gazit)

Here in CA my Stewart does not compare to a Hass (although it is quite good, pretty yellowish flesh).

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:20:02 PM »
Steward is a very good avocado but not top 15. Oro negro is not in the top 50

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Ouch, funny about the Oro Negro not even in the top fifty. ;D So far The Stewart is sounding the best for my needs. Does anyone know what the mature size of the tree would be? I need to make sure I properly space them and want to maximize every square inch of my yard. Also does the root-stock influence the eventual size of the tree?

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
I disagree. Oro Negro tastes and looks very similar to your average Haas. In my opinion, they taste better; they are more creamer and richer. I wouldn’t (and haven’t) plant another variety of someone paid me

Your average store bought Hass is crap, at least those we get in Texas.  At least the seed isn't huge like ON.  :D   

Do you grow a quality Cali avocado like Pinkerton, Reed, or Holiday that you can compare to? 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:24:02 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »
Steward is a very good avocado but not top 15. Oro negro is not in the top 50

The fella I'm getting the Stewart aka "Stuart" from lives east of San Francisco (Hercules) and says it has a richer, nuttier flavor than Hass and is creamier and I quote --> "Yes, my Stewart avocado is very creamy with a pronounced buttery/nutty flavor. More flesh to seed ratio. The seed is no bigger than a quarter!!!"

Julie Frink also praises Stewart and rates it as being the most cold hardy of the Mexican types.  That's why I recommended it for our Houston amigo.  He's laboriously covering large backyard trees apparently.  Life's too short........
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:57:40 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »
The op probably will want to listen to Mark, as their climates and conditions are likely more similar.

Actually quite dissimiliar. Texas is a BIG state and is very diverse regarding micro climes.  Houston is hot and muggy with heavy black clay gumbo soils, lots of rainfall and lowlands.  I'm in a moderate to low RH area, low rainfall, elevation of 1,800' and get the beneficial day to night temp differential that Houston and other Texas coastal cities don't.  ON might be a good choice for him but it's not cold hardy.  After my freeze I think it is about as cold hardy as any W. Indies stock and mine has a stocky 5-6" trunk.

If I was him and he chooses ON I'd plant in a 8 panel Rootbuilder for the wonderful aeration properties.  Eight 13" panels would give him a 55 gallon bottomless pot.  I just got thru enlarging my Reed to a whopping 100 gallon bottomless pot! 

Cable ties have been busted and this shot is before adding more panels for expansion to a 100 gallon.  Note the lack of any root spin out. Works as designed.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:19:59 AM by Mark in Texas »

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »

I have an ON also, and I like it, but I have trouble figuring out when to pick it.  Some that look good didn't ever ripen / soften.  What is the best way to determine when they are ripe.  This is my second year with the tree, last year it was young and I only let it keep a handful of fruit.  This year it's blooming like crazy.

Thanks!

Bruce
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
I am actually north of Houston ( Conroe) Texas. I am on a small hill. My yard is kinda funny in regards to the soil, one side only has four inches of good topsoil with red clay under it that goes past six feet of topsoil/ sand on the other side of my yard.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »
I have an ON also, and I like it, but I have trouble figuring out when to pick it.  Some that look good didn't ever ripen / soften.  What is the best way to determine when they are ripe.  This is my second year with the tree, last year it was young and I only let it keep a handful of fruit.  This year it's blooming like crazy.

Thanks!

Bruce

Leave it hanging for a couple of weeks or a month after they turn black on the tree, then test one.  If it shrivels on the counter and never goes soft, then you picked it too soon.   The skin should lose some or all of its gloss.

March 2, 2017

March blossoms with fruit:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:34:56 AM by Mark in Texas »

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »

Thanks!

Bruce

Leave it hanging for a couple of weeks or a month after they turn black on the tree, then test one.  If it shrivels on the counter and never goes soft, then you picked it too soon.   The skin should lose some or all of its gloss.

March 2, 2017

Nice.  Are those ON?
- Marley

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
I would also recommend Steward, it handles lower temperatures  really well.

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »

Thanks!

Bruce

March 2, 2017

Thank you.  So - how is it that you still have fruit on the tree this late?  Like I said, I'm new to growing avocados.  My tree has some jellybean sized fruits on it right now.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

Mark in Texas

• View Profile

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
I would also recommend Steward, it handles lower temperatures  really well.

Stewart aka Stuart not StewarD.   ;D

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 08:44:48 AM »
Thank you.  So - how is it that you still have fruit on the tree this late?  Like I said, I'm new to growing avocados.  My tree has some jellybean sized fruits on it right now.

Cause it's not ready until March.  This aint Florida. My growing season is from March until October.