Author Topic: Myrciaria and chlorine tolerance  (Read 2880 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Myrciaria and chlorine tolerance
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:36:30 PM »
Hi,

If my memory doesn't fail me I think Adam posted something similar here some time ago about how different Myrciaria species tolerate city water. Here is from my own observations. Earlier tonight, I took a look at 3 of my Myrciaria species after being watered with city water for a few weeks. Myrciaria vexator does the worse. Myrciaria cauliflora is not far behind.  Then without comparison comes Myrciaria trunciflora ahead of the group - seems totally oblivious of the chlorine and other impurities in the city water. I prefer plants that are as carefree as possible so M. trunciflora is now my favorite.

Myrciaria vexator

Myrciaria cauliflora

Myrciaria trunciflora

I hope someone finds this information useful.

Tomas

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Myrciaria and chlorine tolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:59 PM »
They also hate sodium. I bucket the baby bath water throughout the garden during dry spells. I use very little product in the bath but they all contain sodium something-or-other so have learnt to stay well away from the jabs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
I have a theory about evaporation of chlorine and temperature.

this time of year the water doesn't seem to bother some of the eugenias and myrciaria as much.

maybe because of cool air temp? aiding in evaporation of chlorine?

just an observation.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Myrciaria cauliflora I am growing looks, very close to the one posted by Tomas. I always assumed it was the water, chelated iron and a little magnesium sulfate seems to help green it up some though. Unfortunately, we don't get enough rain out here to save and use for very long. Changing up the soil mix seems to help greatly with countering tap water. I am hoping that the crushed charcoal n the soil mix helps filter out some of the salts/chlorine in the water.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
Hi Tomas,

The vexator looks almost like aging leaves that got a nice wind chill!

Not damage from city water.

The Vexator is one of the easiest to keep happy with city water (I've found)

They are one of few evergreen myrciaria we grow! So they will act very funny when temps of anywhere in the 40's come blowing by, from the NW.

the red coloration was the give away!

Delayed wind chill damage.

The M. cauliflora hybrid, Red jabo, looks like the right diagnosis!  Chlorine at work, burning leaf tips!

Don't worry this tree will not be badly hurt, it will grow and fruit regardless.

And finally, your trunciflora!

it defies all logic.

ITs the worst one I grow, for city water.  It automatically burns at the leaf tips!

But keep in mind there are over 10 varieties of M. trunciflora, an yours looks like a fuzzy leaved  type that I'm not too familiar with, as far as fruit taste...but I have some at the house growing.

They do seem less hurt by the chlorine water, than the big trunciflora by me thats fruiting.

so maybe this is a pleasant surprise??

one other tree that can handle city water pretty well, is the M. spirito santensis, Grimal.

I've been surprised by it's resilience.

I have more info about this subject, but I keep that stuff all bottled up inside...LOL.

I can't let everyone know my secrets.

HAHAHA!

But in the confines of a private email, I can expand much more on this subject if you want! (TOMAS)  ;D

Hi,

If my memory doesn't fail me I think Adam posted something similar here some time ago about how different Myrciaria species tolerate city water. Here is from my own observations. Earlier tonight, I took a look at 3 of my Myrciaria species after being watered with city water for a few weeks. Myrciaria vexator does the worse. Myrciaria cauliflora is not far behind.  Then without comparison comes Myrciaria trunciflora ahead of the group - seems totally oblivious of the chlorine and other impurities in the city water. I prefer plants that are as carefree as possible so M. trunciflora is now my favorite.

Myrciaria vexator

Myrciaria cauliflora

Myrciaria trunciflora

I hope someone finds this information useful.

Tomas
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:28:01 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:40:33 PM »
Thanks Adam for sharing your ideas and knowledge. That's really odd about my M. trunciflora doing so well. It's not only that M. trunciflora plant - all my M. trunciflora plants are just as green (from the same batch of seeds though) so I cannot just be a fluke. I had no idea about the variations of  M. trunciflora. Guess I am just lucky I got city-water-ignorant type.

Tomas