Author Topic: Muntingia calabura  (Read 22130 times)

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
Re: Muntingia calabura
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
I have a couple red trees growing and people love them.  The root suckers and the birds spreading them can be a problem here.  The lower branches die pretty quickly, making a nice (though messy) shade tree.  I will have to have a few "back up" trees ready in case all the branches totally die out.  How short lived is it- 5 years or more?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »
I have a couple red trees growing and people love them.  The root suckers and the birds spreading them can be a problem here.  The lower branches die pretty quickly, making a nice (though messy) shade tree.  I will have to have a few "back up" trees ready in case all the branches totally die out.  How short lived is it- 5 years or more?

I've had mine for about 8 years and still going strong, has thousands of fruits on it right now. My guess it that they can live 15-20 years.
Oscar

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
Muntingia is a pioneer plant, grows very fast and is a short lived tree. Fruits are small but tree makes up in quantity. Just toss about 5-10 in the mouth at once. I consider it a great kiddie fruit. Tastes a bit like candy. ;D

I like the fruit, but the tree takes up so much space that I'm considering moving it out. Although it provides shade for my seedlings, so I may leave it in place a little longer. I do eat it in bunches, but oddly, most of my nephews don't like it much.

Jaime

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
Muntingia is a pioneer plant, grows very fast and is a short lived tree. Fruits are small but tree makes up in quantity. Just toss about 5-10 in the mouth at once. I consider it a great kiddie fruit. Tastes a bit like candy. ;D

I like the fruit, but the tree takes up so much space that I'm considering moving it out. Although it provides shade for my seedlings, so I may leave it in place a little longer. I do eat it in bunches, but oddly, most of my nephews don't like it much.

Jaime

Jaime, suggest just pruning it down radically to size that you want rather than removing it. Doesn't mind being pruned radically.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Muntingia calabura
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »
Every day I walk past 5 of these when walking the dogs and always marvel at the amount of fruit ( almost year round ) They are probably the most productive fruit trees I know and really nice to nibble on ...
After trying , just for fun , numerous times and unsuccessful to reproduce them from seeds and also finding almost no volunteer seedlings , I am starting to believe these seeds have to pas the digestive system of a bird or so to be able to germinate......????
The fruits here are very sweet and one centimeter diameter , if they could be improved to double that size everybody should grow one...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
Nice. fast growing tree, decent fruit....but at my house was horribly invasive.  I had root suckering in a 50 yard radius from the main tree.  Those suckers were everywhere.  It took me the better part of a year to get them fully under control.

Harry

Edit:  For some reason I thought this was a new thread.  So I repeated myself except the suckers started spreading even further than I originally described. ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:12:35 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
Luc - I germinated my muntingia seeds in this super expensive mini greenhouse  ;D  worked like a charm.

Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
Muntingia calabura is loaded with calcium...most are unaware of this wholesome feature.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 05:47:51 PM »
It's amazing how large the seedlings are. I racently got some seeds and they were smaller than sand grains.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
I think main problem with the Muntingia calabura seeds is that they are so small they can easily pass through your starter medium, especially if what you are using is coarse. What i recommend to folks now is to start them in jiffy pots, since these are watered from the bottom. If you can't get jiffy pots (i know Luc already will say that) then start them in a sandy medium and water with a pan of water underneath. Also they like a lot of sunlight to germinate well.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »
I'll try that Oscar , just to prove I can do it .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
Good tips Oscar. I'll do that.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
I use a standard garden soil with a thin toplayer of vermiculite.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »
I'm still waiting for my fruit to ripen up. Poor tree doesn't get the sunlight it should on our covered porch.
I also heard these are good to take cuttings from?

-Luke

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
I'm still waiting for my fruit to ripen up. Poor tree doesn't get the sunlight it should on our covered porch.
I also heard these are good to take cuttings from?

-Luke

Very difficult from cuttings. Air layers would probably work.
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 02:32:31 AM »
I've had moderate success with cuttings, oddly enough putting fresh cut slightly hardened wood in a brown 22oz. beer bottle with water has given me the highest % take. ???

-Ethan

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 02:35:52 AM »
Oscar; this is where I slightly disagree with you. It is very possible to do even without rooting hormone - however the success-rate seems to vary a lot, but using rooting hormone I can imagine it is very easy.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:23 AM »
Oscar; this is where I slightly disagree with you. It is very possible to do even without rooting hormone - however the success-rate seems to vary a lot, but using rooting hormone I can imagine it is very easy.

Soren, it's possible different plant variants show differences in ease of propagation, just like they show difference in root suckering. I tried several times with mine using rooting hormone and got zero rooting. I also had zero success in moving plant suckers into pots. Just very bad luck propagating this plant, though it can grow like a weed?  :'(
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »

Soren, it's possible different plant variants show differences in ease of propagation, just like they show difference in root suckering. I tried several times with mine using rooting hormone and got zero rooting. I also had zero success in moving plant suckers into pots. Just very bad luck propagating this plant, though it can grow like a weed?  :'(

Hi Oscar - that could be a factor, or the time of year, size / age of cutting, methods etc. I am not an expert doing it, but have done multiple runs with a frequency of 0 - 100%. A bit too unstable to use, so now I just transplanting seedlings that germinates by random from birddropping in other plantbags.... 
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:50 PM »

Hi Oscar - that could be a factor, or the time of year, size / age of cutting, methods etc. I am not an expert doing it, but have done multiple runs with a frequency of 0 - 100%. A bit too unstable to use, so now I just transplanting seedlings that germinates by random from birddropping in other plantbags....

Do you remember what size and what stage cuttings you used that were succesful?
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »
Here's an update on one of the fruits ...

Tim

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Ate our first two fruits last weekend. Delish! Ours had a light strawberry sugary flavor that came in one punch then faded. Very tasty. Looking forward to having the chance to eat a whole handful at once.

-Luke

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Wow, your tree is still so small but has fruits already. Nice. Do you eat the skin as well? I found the skin to be kinda blah, not bad, not good, so I just spit it out after crushing/squeezing the fruit between my teeth.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 02:08:10 AM »

Do you remember what size and what stage cuttings you used that were succesful?

Hi Oscar - a friend of mine staying in Entebbe managed to root 2 out of 3 big branches just by placing them directly into the soil during rainy season (i.e. at least one year one shoots); but honestly I have not recorded my experiences doing this.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
Nice. Do you eat the skin as well? I found the skin to be kinda blah, not bad, not good, so I just spit it out after crushing/squeezing the fruit between my teeth.

I also never really eat the skin, just pop a few in my mouth, suck the juice out a spit the skins out. The skins while not objectionable do have a bit of astringency to them which I don't think is tasty.

Jaime

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk