Author Topic: Post Pics of Your GRAFTS, and Troubleshoot HERE!  (Read 242517 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Grafts that push new leaves, and then suddenly drop leaves!
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
Yep I've had commercial nurseries tell me the same thing. The reality is that they're actually fairly easy to graft. The hard part is waiting millenia for the darn things to grow and root out. From seed to 3 gallon is like 2 years :-(. From 3gal to 7gal is a bit quicker though.

The high demand for saps is just recent; I think it started around 2007. Before then, you could find grafted saps for quite a bargain. Just like with anything else, the market for fruit trees is pretty volatile, and popularity rises and falls (and then rises again :-). I'll bet folks like Harry remember when Ilamas were in high demand. Now, I can graft half dozen and have them last me for years before anybody buys them.

Ok, now I'm waiting on  Silas Wood to pop up.  Makoks on either side have jumped out of their wraps.

Will post pics like I said...as soon as Silas pops or flops.

Someone (who propagates and owns a nursery) once said sapodillas are expensive because of the difficulty involved in grafting them.  I can't imagine this is the case.  I just think they are in high demand, like atemoya.  They are both  very easy to graft.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:04:40 PM by Cookie Monster »
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
I'll bet folks like Harry remember when Ilamas were in high demand. Now, I can graft half dozen and have them last me for years before anybody buys them.

Oh yes, I do, we used to deliver the trees by dinosaur drawn carriages. :)

Harry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:44:36 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
HAHAHAHA It wasn't that long ago :-) Late 90's ?

I'll bet folks like Harry remember when Ilamas were in high demand. Now, I can graft half dozen and have them last me for years before anybody buys them.

Oh yes, I do, we used to deliver the trees by dinosaur drawn carriages. :)

Harry
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
Very cool.  I am sure the person you are doing it for will be thrilled.  I will be most interested to see how this tree progresses as it gets size.  Is the recipient of this tree a forum member?  Seen losts of multi-graft mangoes, citrus and avocado, but not sapodilla.  Wonder how it will be to maintain balance between the varietal sections and how seasonality will be affected by the three being on the same rootstock. 
Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
its almost 2.5 weeks now and some of my grafts of Cherimoya are very green and buds swelling while some others I cant really tell, I dont want to open the tape to ruin the honeymoon period that may be happening. I will wait another 2-weeks to see what happens. We are warming up nicely now and I am sure I will have few takes.

On my two guava grafts on to root stock, one was dried out and other was green near the union. I didnt feel much comfortale so I top worked again and put in new scions. This time I got the green tying tape, YES!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Post Pics of Your GRAFTS, and Troubleshoot HERE!
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 01:58:53 AM »
Changed the subject of the post, I think this one is more befitting.

Behelgarden,

I think they will take if they are swelling!  Don't fiddle with them! I always mess them up this way.

Best of luck. :)

Keep me in the loop
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Post Pics of Your Grafts, and Troubleshoot Here!
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:39:30 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
Very nice Adam. if it wasnt for swings in weather some of my scions would be broken out too. I tried
1. Cheft
2. T-budding
3. Veneer
4. Bark

Veneer seems to be really green healthy, others hard to say. I am going to wait for another two weeks to see what happens. My trees were top worked and pruned like Greg's and I am seeing a lot of new growth being pushed on the pruned tree. Hopefully the tree is pushing a lot of sap into the scions too. Wake up, wake up!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »
Very nice Adam. if it wasnt for swings in weather some of my scions would be broken out too. I tried
1. Cheft
2. T-budding
3. Veneer
4. Bark

Veneer seems to be really green healthy, others hard to say. I am going to wait for another two weeks to see what happens. My trees were top worked and pruned like Greg's and I am seeing a lot of new growth being pushed on the pruned tree. Hopefully the tree is pushing a lot of sap into the scions too. Wake up, wake up!

JF not Greg, Belh. I have had some grafts turn black and fall off after pushing leaves. For the ones that took when should I start unwrapping them??

JF

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Sorry Joe, I was confused. I have the same question for those in Southern California. Because we are in similar climate, how long should one wait for grafts that are made outdoors on matured trees?  I hate to say that even my apple, apricot, plums, pear are sucking bad with just hint of new growth starting while I see big box stores and some others around where I live lush and green. My Longan is in full swing loaded with flowers, but lychee wants to die, just ordered rooting hormone to save it.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
Sorry Joe, I was confused. I have the same question for those in Southern California. Because we are in similar climate, how long should one wait for grafts that are made outdoors on matured trees?  I hate to say that even my apple, apricot, plums, pear are sucking bad with just hint of new growth starting while I see big box stores and some others around where I live lush and green. My Longan is in full swing loaded with flowers, but lychee wants to die, just ordered rooting hormone to save it.

Belh,no problem. The annonas that have taken outside are very sloooooow. We have some rain in the forecast maybe after the rain they'll speedup. Don't worry about how your fruit trees look that is normal for this time of year.....wait a few months.

JF

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:37 PM »
Any graft takes from Joe's (JF) scion distribution to folks here? Mine are still dormant and I expect So Cal folks to be in the same boat. Mine are outside on mature tree, still green so I am sure union is formed by now. growth may be around the corner, we need two good weeks of heat and thats it.

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Any graft takes from Joe's (JF) scion distribution to folks here? Mine are still dormant and I expect So Cal folks to be in the same boat. Mine are outside on mature tree, still green so I am sure union is formed by now. growth may be around the corner, we need two good weeks of heat and thats it.
All of mine have pushed.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:40:40 PM by Greg1029 »

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
Looking for advice.  Here is a mango veneer graft I did last september.  The scion is NDM and the rootstock is Manilla.  The scion never pushed but is still alive and fused to the rootstock.  Should I just leave the tree alone or is there something I could do to help it to push?

Thanks, Greg

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Greg, your Cherimoya grafts were in green house correct? On your Mango, I am not expert but from what I read, we are in fruiting/flowering season so grafts that didnt push may be dormant until its time for growth flush. I would rather have it stay dormant until flowering season is over so that you get a nice branch flush and not a small flower pod.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2012, 07:53:21 PM »
Looking for advice.  Here is a mango veneer graft I did last september.  The scion is NDM and the rootstock is Manilla.  The scion never pushed but is still alive and fused to the rootstock.  Should I just leave the tree alone or is there something I could do to help it to push?

Thanks, Greg

Have you beheaded the rootstock?

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
behlgarden, Yes mine were in the greenhouse but they're out now.  I'm sure you'll see them pushing in the next couple of weeks.  Additionally, some grafts took only a couple of days whereas others took weeks to push.  My cherimoyas in the ground are just waking up.

Jsvand5, Yes I've beheaded the thing at least 3 times since I've grafted it slowly making the rootstock shorter and shorter but it doesn't seem to work.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
Cut it back to maybe a centimeter above the scion. At least one of the buds on the scion should swell and grow.

Greg1029

• 10b Ca. 90602
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
Cut it back to maybe a centimeter above the scion. At least one of the buds on the scion should swell and grow.

Thanks Squam.  Will do.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Adam, what rootstock are you using to graft annonas?

Thanks,
Adiel

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 12:30:49 AM »
No change in status of healthy scion grafts, got one that rotted away and dried. it was removed and replaced at once, root stock has to produce, LOL.

All hopes now for warming trend for at least 2 weeks so I get my cherimoya and guava grafts to take. I got two grafts on Plums and approcots that took, observed today, new growth has started on those, that is my first true success! See pic! its hard to see with grass in background, but careful look and you see new bud sprouting green!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
Atemoya, Sugar apple, reticulata, diversifolia, muricata, R. deliciosa.

NO others I can think of.

Why do u ask? Have some plants to perform surgery on?

I hope all operations are a success, and that you have viable organ donors.

Adam, what rootstock are you using to graft annonas?

Thanks,
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2012, 11:32:10 AM »
Good news on my Annona grafts. Yesterday was nice and warm day after weeks of cold. the swelled bubs in two grafts actually tore the parafilm yesterday, they appear to be ready to push hard. The scions are green.

Will post pictures once leaves come out.  Joe, any luck on your monster grafts on your trees?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
Don't touch anything!  Just let them grow or fail...and then fiddle with removing tape and all that jazz, once the scion has flushed at least 2 sets of growth..unless the tree obviously or visibly needs intervention before hand (gridling, rotting scions under plastic, etc....)
Hi All
I grafted  three maha chanoks about a month ago.....The top graft rotted, second starting to push and the third is still green but no sign yet...Should I remove the third(lowest graft) since my second graft is now pushing?
Thanks
DT

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
Adam, question for you. on one of my appricot grafts, I did a bud graft (no T-budding), just cut the surface of bark of root stock and stuck bud eye there. covered it nicely with parafilm. I saw the rootstock get a bit thicker and cracked the wrap completely and I had to remove the parafilm to see if bud dried out, no! the bud was nice and green and so was the cambium layer of root stock, So I wrapped it in new parafilm again.

Cant wait for buddy tape to be delviered. I might it get tomorrow. Question is, if buds have not flushed out and parafilm cracks, should I cover it with more parafilm? I am afraid if its not covered further scion/bud may dry out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk