Author Topic: Mangoes of Vietnam  (Read 12356 times)

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes of Vietnam
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 07:52:41 PM »
Here are photos of the real cat hoa loc & cat chu  from a contact in Vietnam.

Bigger being cat hoa loc vn's #1 mango  & #2 is cat chu being the smaller side

Cat hoa loc

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
I am not growing it......but wouldn't mind trying.

Harry
Excalibur should have them.

What about Cat Hoa Loc? Do you guys in FL have this already? I bought one from Toptrop but it turned out to be mahachanok. From the description CHL is even better than Cat Chu. 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 09:01:04 PM »
Tim

I'm currently growing Xoai Cat and Cambodian Keo Chen can you tell us a little bit about the varieties? I had Keo Chen in the Cambodian temple, they have a nature tree,  two years ago and though it was an outstanding mango along the same lines as NDM but with a nice citrusy finish. I was told by a Vietnamese friend that Xoai is better.

Since Tim has not responded, I will try.

Xoai: mango -- a plant type and not any specific fruit name.
Cat: there are a few different Cat mangoes: Cat Hoa Loc, Cat Chu and other so I don't know which one you have.
Btw, Cat means sands and in this case the tiny dots on the skin of the ripen fruits.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
Planning to head to Vietnam in a few weeks.  Should be the beginning of mango season. Saw a YouTube video where they must have had 8-10 varieties of mango in a super market. This image is of a mango store in Da Nang. I’ll have to keep an eye out for cat chu as Cac is one of my fav. I will give an update once I’m there. Let me know if anyone has any recommendations or places worth checking out

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 01:36:36 PM by ben mango »

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 02:13:49 AM »
 cát = sand . Cát mango got its name, because its skin looks like sand with all the dots color when ripe.

We have Xoài cát ( Cát mango) has more than 2 varieties and they are Xoài cát Hòa Lộc ; Xoài cát chu ; Xoài cát bồ; Xoài cát núm ; Xoài cát thơm . Most of these Cat mango varieties are for eating ripe.

We have Xoài tượng ,Xoài Thái, Xoài Đài Loan which well known for be eaten green. Xoài Thái origin from Thailand. Xoài Đài Loan origin from Taiwan

Xoài bao tử  / Xoài cóc are small size fruits, well known for being eaten green or making pickles.

There are many other varieties of mangoes in Viet Nam, but the most well-known for the best Vietnamese mangoes are Xoài cát, Xoài tượng

There is no Xoài cát Saigon and No Xoài cac.  When you say " Cac " the sound in Vietnamese is meaning male private part in a dirty way to say.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk