Author Topic: At my wits end with my Rollinia.............  (Read 3782 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
At my wits end with my Rollinia.............
« on: May 15, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
It has had issue after issue and bout to rip it out of the ground.  Last time it was suggested that maybe potato leaf hoppers, sprayed with Sevin, got better. Now it has gone back to the same leaf curling and looks like crap again. Only tree in the yard with any issues. Fert once a month 8-3-9, water is good. Even did a Fe drench a few months ago. Any suggestions before I scrap my rollinia project? 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: At my wits end with my Rollinia.............
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:05:18 PM »
looks like some sort of mite? maybe need miticide? or horticultural oil?

if your not going to treat them with poison, I would remove all foliage, and prune branches back, leaving largest healthiest portions.  Then make sure to feed lightly, and water heavily if you don't have rain.  The tree will eventually overcome the pest or disease...it looks like it's putting out good growth
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »
Thats what it did last time and most of the new growth was curled crap leaves. Will try that and see what happens. Thanks Adam.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:10:08 PM »
I had a similar situation. Spider mites may have infested your rollinia leaves. I used take down from monterey & so far no infestation.

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »
Ours had spider mites. I cut off all of the leaves and ends of the branches then spayed with an organic oil spray. Threw the leaves in the trash can. Within a week, my tree had all new, healthy leaves. I saw spider mites on the rollinias at local nurseries as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:09:35 PM by geosulcata »

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »
Give it a chance, the tree's I've planted have come back from far worse.

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:29:22 AM »
Rollinia is the difficult one for me too. I had 4. All gone. I bought a tall one 2 days ago. Praying.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:57:08 AM »
They like tons of water.  Tons. I live in a town that averages over 140 inches of rain a year.  I fertilize my rollinia maybe a couple times of year and give it grass clippings every once in a while.  Mine is now about three years old from seed and flowering like crazy right now.  I actually had to lop the top of it off because it was getting so big. 
Just going off one of your pictures I would say the ground looks kinda dry, plus mulch to retain some moisture might help.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 05:39:03 AM »
If it is spider mites, which white spotting on leaves seems to indicate, you should be able to see the mites with a magnifying lens. Look on underside of curled leaves.
PahoaJo is right also, your ground looks too dry. Spider mites are encouraged by dry air, so putting a mister over your tree would definitely help to keep them from getting re-established. BTW, humid air helps rollinia pollination, so the misters would also help your plant to set fruit.
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
Same here. Lost a really nice one to what I thought were nematodes. Someone should try grafting to mountain soursop.

Rollinia is the difficult one for me too. I had 4. All gone. I bought a tall one 2 days ago. Praying.
Jeff  :-)

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
Yes, I've also killed a couple of Rollinias but I'm not giving up with this current batch of 1-year olds. In my opinion they really need partial shade when small and plenty of water, specially when hot, but also good draining.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 02:00:58 PM »
I agree with Pahoa, the soil looks too dry.  Rollinias are from the Amazon.  Drought stress is likely increasing your Rollinia's vulnerability to mites.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »
Yes, I had the same problem during Santa Ana winds here in SoCal I got tire of the misters.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
Extreme sensitivity to mite damage alone is enough to cause rollinias to drop their leaves. I have see this in my shade house with plenty of wind protection and watering.  Ilamas are also super sensitive but the leaves continue to hang on the tree forming necrotic spots.

I have two trees in the ground and one tree is more resistant to mites than the other.  But the resistant tree is still frustrating me because the 1.5 - 2 inch fruits are aborting with the stems turning from green to yellow to brown to black followed by the fruit doing the same.
Brandon

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 11:21:02 PM »
I have three in ground at a family members house in Hollywood, FL. Seems to be a limestone ridge, one of the highest points in Broward. The one growing the best gets the least amount of water, but constant pest issues( scale and mealy bugs). It is flowering but I just caught wind of issues and treated. The two in the back get the most amount of water, and are much healthier over all. Water seems to be crucial the overall health.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
I had 20 or so fruit sets that aborted just like this. There are only a handful left.  I have given up hope for a fruit this year from this tree. Maybe my smaller tree will take pity on me. It started flowering about a month later. The fruits I hand pollinated are still 1/2 inch and we are getting rain now. I planted my first rollinia tree in 2008 and I still have not grown a fruit to maturity. I am cursed.

Brandon

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 12:22:35 AM »
I had 20 or so fruit sets that aborted just like this. There are only a handful left.  I have given up hope for a fruit this year from this tree. Maybe my smaller tree will take pity on me. It started flowering about a month later. The fruits I hand pollinated are still 1/2 inch and we are getting rain now. I planted my first rollinia tree in 2008 and I still have not grown a fruit to maturity. I am cursed.

Well then I don't feel so crummy LOL  I have seen your set up (dying to see how it has changed in a year) and if you are having issues with rollinias then I feel better after reading all these issue posts that I have atleast kept mine alive about a year since planting or so.  The ground where is is is very sandy on the surface, I water about 3-4 times a week (not sprinklers, good deep hose watering). Sprayed it again with Sevin, will up the watering, and it has been mulched and remulched, its just in a bad spot I think because there is a slope. May build up behind it with some retaining blocks. But might just scratch it and put another anona in its place. Thanks for the tips, hope she gets better if not I give up.