Author Topic: apples anyone  (Read 19552 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
apples anyone
« on: February 12, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
so how about those apple trees  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:03:51 PM by buddyguygreen »

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: alright first one to post
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
Or paw paws!

mksmth

• Tulsa Oklahoma 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
my favorites are fuji and gala.  I nice crisp Pink lady is always good too :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »
Brrr...it's cold in this section!

When are we gonna start an asimina thread?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »
 :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 01:26:29 AM by Bob407 »
Life is good

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
Pink Lady is amazing!!!!! We all now Golden Crisp is a killer too....but Pink Lady!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
Love the new section!!
Shane

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 03:35:24 AM »
When i'm lucky i get to eat a few Anna apples off my tree here. Still waiting on Golden Dorsett to fruit. Methley plum also fruits for me. Just gotta beat the birds to them.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
How about fixing the misleading topic name to reflect the intended content?
I should have known better than to click on it, but once in a while the threads actually details into something interesting.

Birds are the main problem for me.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
my favorites are fuji and gala.  I nice crisp Pink lady is always good too :)

Pink Lady wipes  the  floor with  Gala  and Fuji....unfortunately the ones in the store are usually not ripened  properly......as they have to be picked early and allowed a  month to ripen on counter...at least I read that somewhere.

Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: apples anyone
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 12:23:27 PM »
Id have to say granny smith and fuji are my favorite, i have both growing from seed so im going to be zone pushing the temperate. its possible.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
I have Pink Lady & Dorsett Golden

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »
Pink Lady is amazing!!!!! We all now Golden Crisp is a killer too....but Pink Lady!!!
Big Fan of Pink Lady.  By comparison, Fuji is overrated.
I have a tree, had it for a year, but I think it got the Fireblight bad.  Hopefully get all the ingredients for the Bordeaux mixture in the next day or two.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »
You can kill fireblight? I thought the only way is a heavy pruning well past the point of the symptoms. I don't have experience, just heard from others.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:20 PM »
Got Anna, Dorsett, En Shimer, and tropic sweet down here. Unlike a good chunk of my other trees who are covered or inside, or the ones still outside sucking wind, my apples are loving life and catching the last few chill hours of the winter. Think they already met their requirement but oh well.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
I'm a bit further north than most of you, and even though I live in a state that has commercial apple orchards, I don't live in the mountains I'm at the beginning of the coastal plain in a region famous of NOT being able to grow apples. None the less I have a few in my garden - William's Pride, Enterprise, Arkansas Black, a local heirloom known as Weston Farm and some Goldrush (my all time favorite apple). My place is surrounds by woodlands and therefore is the epicenter of all sorts of apple tree killing diseases and pests. Its a struggle to grow them but they are one of my favorite fruits to eat.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
Id have to say granny smith and fuji are my favorite, i have both growing from seed so im going to be zone pushing the temperate. its possible.

From seed?  Apples are some of the most variable fruit out there...johnny appleseed planted his out, but that was at a time when hard cider was preferred to water by many Americans.  If you like those 2 varieties, get grafted trees. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »

From seed?  Apples are some of the most variable fruit out there...johnny appleseed planted his out, but that was at a time when hard cider was preferred to water by many Americans.  If you like those 2 varieties, get grafted trees.

Definitely. Especially since bare root apple tree can be purchased so cheap.

Buddy guy, They are about the easiest tree to graft though so if you can find someone with scions you could easily graft them yourself.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 07:51:16 PM by Jsvand5 »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:11 PM »
You can kill fireblight? I thought the only way is a heavy pruning well past the point of the symptoms. I don't have experience, just heard from others.
Yes and no.
The bordeaux mixture will kill what it touches.  It don't kill what is in the tree.  Fireblight has a sweet spot temperature range where it will spread (60-80 If I remember).   It likes to hit after rains in the temp zone.
I am going to hose down the infected tree to keep it from spreading now, and going to spray growth points including branch points on the other apples and pears when it is active.  Control requires good timing, which I can't garauntee.
Pollinators will carry it, I get the feeling I'm in a losing battle.  Fighting on for now, not very optimistic.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 12:32:54 PM »
small bare-root trees can be as low as $8 or $9
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
ya well,
Failure is not an option.  Unless it dies.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:37 PM »
My favourite apple is red delicious, I have two,  Starkrimson and Red Chief in orchad.
But real appleholic is my father, He has 30 or more trees, different cultivars like Golden delicious, jonared etc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:04:21 PM by Radoslav »

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
I worked on an apple farm in upstate New York during my high school years.   Picking, pressing and bottling cider.  That was a long time ago, before all the dwarfing rootstocks such as M9.  Now, apples are typically grown tightly in rows, trees 2 meters apart, almost like a vegetable.

And the new varieties are great.  Has anyone tried SnapDragon, also known as NY1?  It's a hybrid from the HoneyCrisp.  I've not tried it but hear it's very good. 
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
I worked on an apple farm in upstate New York during my high school years.   Picking, pressing and bottling cider.  That was a long time ago, before all the dwarfing rootstocks such as M9.  Now, apples are typically grown tightly in rows, trees 2 meters apart, almost like a vegetable.

And the new varieties are great.  Has anyone tried SnapDragon, also known as NY1?  It's a hybrid from the HoneyCrisp.  I've not tried it but hear it's very good.
\

wtf! There is an improved Honeycrisp?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »

\

wtf! There is an improved Honeycrisp?

I can't say it's improved, but it's expected to be widely available this fall in the U.S.

http://www.nyapplecountry.com/varieties/25-snapdragon-new

"We refer to SnapDragon's crispy texture as a 'monster crunch' because it bursts with a sweet and juicy flavor that comes from its Honeycrisp parent." according to a statement from Jeff Crist, vice chairman of the apple growers group. "The apple was a big hit among taste testers so we expect consumers will really enjoy this new variety especially Moms who are looking for a healthy alternative to traditional junk foods."
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.