Author Topic: Probable Laurel Wilt starting to affect Collier avocados  (Read 2307 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Probable Laurel Wilt starting to affect Collier avocados
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Just cut down a 20+yr avo tree.  State Ag inspector said just about all the red bay trees are wiped out in collier county leading to increasing infection rates among other lauraceae.

- Marley

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Probable Laurel Wilt starting to affect Collier avocados
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »
Was raffaelea lauricola fungus confirmed? Reason I ask is because looks a little different than what we see in Homestead on Avocado trees. 
By the way the beetles would continue to reproduce in the cut wood for a while.  If you have adjacent avocado trees the roots of the infected tree need to be pulled out if you want to avoid the spread.

Question: there are other trees besides avocado in that pile, what are they?

All these imported borers are creating havoc in out forest and agriculture. Our forest will not look the same in 50  years.  I'm surrounded by Wilt in Homestead, so far I'm managing to keep it in check to my own amazement.
Video from my drone
https://youtu.be/kWCmssCJRnY

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:52:45 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:32:00 AM »
What can be done to treat this ..on our backyard trees?
Www.sailing-charters.org

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
if you have to treat the wilt is too late. Once the tree is inoculated is done.

What you can do:
Keeps your trees very healthy, feed the trees and feed the soil to create a stress free environment for your tree.  Stressed  trees attract a type of beetle that carries the pathogen. For Example,  a lighting strike will stress  the trees instantly  within days beetles are going to start drilling the tree. This is a disease we have to learn to live with it.
If you have multiple laurel family trees adjacent to each other if you see beetle activity and wilting branches with the dead leaves attached to the branch cut the tree down ASAP dont let it wilt 100% because by the any tree close to it will be contaminated by root grafts.

This is what I practice, see the video and look at my neighbors. Since this video both have lost several more trees. Me none.
https://youtu.be/kWCmssCJRnY

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
Carlos,

Can you recommend somewhere to find  information on the microbial assisted agriculture that UF is recommending now.

Thanks

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
The microbial assisted is not UF is all mine. I do all they recommend,  may be less aggressive on the injections plus my own microbial program.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
The microbial assisted is not UF is all mine. I do all they recommend,  may be less aggressive on the injections plus my own microbial program.
Carlos, As ofdsurfer said, I am also interested in some more details of your microbial program. The video evidence in your drone footage is striking. The results speak for themselves

In your blog you say:
since  mid-2014 adding some commercial microbial inoculations plus frequent small amounts of molasses, kelp and humic acid.
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/my-soil-microbiology.html

I watched your 3 microscope videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/GraftingAvocados/videos

In one of your comments you mention this one, a lactobacillus culture:
http://www.scdprobiotics.com/ProBio-Balance-Plus-p/a152-1.htm

In another, you commented:
This activation was started on August 9 at 4.7 PH. The day of the video is August 14 with a PH of 3.6. Magnification around 1700X Not the best microscope but gives me an idea of how the activation looks. This is the original product EM-1 ® with the recommended amount of water and molasses.This is a product to add beneficial micro organisms to the soil. This is the activation  (multiplication process) of 1 part product to 20 parts water and molasses. http://www.teraganix.com/EM-1-Microbial-Inoculant-Microbial-Inoculants-p/1000.htm

This is what you show in the microscope:

This is what typical lactobacillus looks like, so you definitely have made some!

I've been looking into the use of these products generally I see that the process you describe is an anaerobic fermentation similar to making wine or beer by brewing it in a sealed drum using an airlock.

If you are injecting these through irrigation, I would love to see details about the equipment you use to do that and the rates of the products you are using.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 11:40:38 AM »
I have been debating if is a good idea to open a new thread on Microbial products and I will open one by the end of the day.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
Just cut down a 20+yr avo tree.  State Ag inspector said just about all the red bay trees are wiped out in collier county leading to increasing infection rates among other lauraceae.

You need to spray the wood with insectcide to kill beetles on the surface and destroy the wood.  Laurel wilt has been spread to Texas by people transporting firewood.  Running the wood through a wood chipper will destroy the virus because the virus requires moisture in the wood to exist. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk