Author Topic: Passionfruits  (Read 7797 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruits
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2020, 03:05:11 AM »
Ive got tons of passionfruits if anyone wants a medium box its 26$.

USPS medium boxes seem to be getting to people on time now even in FL. 

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2020, 07:49:39 AM »
mine arrived nicely, much gratitude!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
Good to hear. 

I ate a bunch of them yesterday, they are super good.  They are falling off fast wih the heat we have had here.  My son and I filled a bunch of buckets full yesterday. 
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2020, 01:55:28 PM »
my kids shoot them out the battery powered leaf blower at each other; so proud

they are really good. about 8 from the last batch were really old and wrinkly. thought they would be bad. were actually excellent and flavors held up well with aging

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2020, 03:00:42 AM »
Hi Brad,

Tempted to order some of your fruit but too many unexpected expenses this month to afford that.

However, as a side note to your passiflora fruit haul, could you perhaps recommend a decent book about passiflora culture in the subtropics.

I have the 1981 edition of the Vanderplank (Passion Flowers) book but not either of the two newer revisions, and don't know whether either of those newer editions are especially worth having.

But, I'd also like anything else on gardening with Passifloras in Florida, California, etc. Such a culture book would be useful because I know that some of the Passiflora species don't tolerate the heat we get in west central Florida.

TIA

Paul M.
==

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2020, 05:15:28 PM »
Sorry, I don't own a single gardening book.  These purple passionfruit are well acclimated to southern CA and take no effort to grow.  I have one on a timer and never did anything for it, it made at least 500 fruit in just about a year in the ground.  Its so prolific its roots have gone 10ft over to an avocado tree and choked it out and the tree is dieing.  Once the harvest is done, I'll be removing that vine as its getting too large and encroaching on other trees.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:17:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2020, 06:02:47 PM »
OK Brad, thanx for the comments. Years ago I had a P. edulis fma. flavicarpa here in Tampa which was in a 5-gal bail bucket.  But it escaped and rooted through the drainage holes of the bucket plus the vine climbed up into our 30-ft tall 'Duncan' grapefruit tree.  I got quite a number of fruit off that vine but it near killed the 'Duncan'!

Had to cut the vine off and dig up its roots.  The dead, dried-up vine with its leaves persisted for another year covering the canopy of the 'Duncan' but the tree managed to survive although we had no grapefruits on it for another whole year.

This time 'round I think that I've learned my lesson with passifloras and so have trained the two passiflora species that I now am growing onto my chainlnk fencing.  No tree canopies to invade and lots easier pollinating access, if that's needed.

Paul M.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2020, 08:21:09 PM »
Got my box of passionfruit today, and they are awesome! Thanks, Brad!

Nbn

• US, CA, Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2020, 10:27:31 PM »
Brad's passion fruits are the best, they are not too tart and has great flavors.  I have tried some other red passion fruits from other people as well as some yellow ones and they are not as good as Brad's.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks, I think they're pretty good too.  We eat lots of them.  Ive got enough for a few more boxes then thats going to be it if anyone wants anymore. 
Brad Spaugh

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »
Got mine the other day and they’re awesome!  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk