Author Topic: Recommendations for last 3 fruit trees?  (Read 13476 times)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Recommendations for last 3 fruit trees?
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
It's bothering me that I have space not being utilized but I'm not really sure what to plant. It has to have a fairly upright habit or at least be able to be pruned to about 8 feet wide. All 3 spots get 8+ hours of full sun and get hit by sprinklers 2-3 times a week. Also since I'm in South Florida the soil is rocky, alkaline, and full of nematodes so they should be able to handle our bad "soil"

So far I have:
redlands white sapote
australian white mulberry
miami soursop
violette de bordeaux fig
rajapuri banana
namwah banana
dwarf cavendish banana
physical graffiti dragonfruit
david bowie dragonfruit
vietnamese jaina dragonfruit
coconut cream mango
hasya sapodilla
RS-22 jackfruit
Bruce canistel
Pace mamey

So, what do you recommend?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:47:21 AM by Das Bhut »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for last 3 fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:13:16 AM »
no mangoes or avocadoes?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:21:36 PM »
Plant mango tree's

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:03:42 PM »
Michael

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Abiu, carambola, grumichama, jaboticaba,  papaya for things other than mango
Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
no mangoes or avocadoes?

I've never had a consistently good mango and avocados are good but not amazing like a white sapote or jackfruit or annona.

Abiu, carambola, grumichama, jaboticaba,  papaya for things other than mango

Are there any varieties of those that you recommend or they good even if grown from seed?

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 03:47:46 PM »
Barbados Cherry, it can give up to 3 long crops a year, spring summer and early fall. Grumichama has a very short season, although a nice looking tree

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
Abius are mostly sold as seedlings.  PIN sells them with a variety name Harvest Moon.  My Harvest Moon does not have a graft line. Maybe they are air layered but maybe they are seedlings from a particular tree.

Carambola is the only one that you will find a selection of grafted trees.  I have a Kari at my old house(now rental property) that stays small without pruning.  It is about 9ft tall by 6 ft wide.  I hear Sri Kembanqan is also good.

I have never seen a grafted grumichama.

Flying Fox is the leading source of grafted jaboticabas.  Others sell seedlings.  Bender's Grove or PIN might have a good sized red jaboticaba that could fruit in a year.  Sabaras will take a few years to fruit.  I planted a red from a 1 gal about 2 years ago and it is flowering now.

Red Lady is the leading papaya for South Florida.  These are seedlings from (hopefully) self pollinated perfect flowers/fruits.

Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Abius are mostly sold as seedlings.  PIN sells them with a variety name Harvest Moon.  My Harvest Moon does not have a graft line. Maybe they are air layered but maybe they are seedlings from a particular tree.

Carambola is the only one that you will find a selection of grafted trees.  I have a Kari at my old house(now rental property) that stays small without pruning.  It is about 9ft tall by 6 ft wide.  I hear Sri Kembanqan is also good.

I have never seen a grafted grumichama.

Flying Fox is the leading source of grafted jaboticabas.  Others sell seedlings.  Bender's Grove or PIN might have a good sized red jaboticaba that could fruit in a year.  Sabaras will take a few years to fruit.  I planted a red from a 1 gal about 2 years ago and it is flowering now.

Red Lady is the leading papaya for South Florida.  These are seedlings from (hopefully) self pollinated perfect flowers/fruits.

Do any of those need extra water during our dry season?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
Jaboticaba probably has the least drought tolerance. The others may need help the first year or two.
Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
Jaboticaba probably has the least drought tolerance. The others may need help the first year or two.

have you tried growing cacao or mamey?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 09:22:27 PM »
I have 6 mamey trees and a green sapote planted at the new house.  The are doing ok.  I had to hand water these last week.  The wind with the heat and lack of rain caused 4 of the 7 (the smaller ones) to wilt.
Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »
I have 6 mamey trees and a green sapote planted at the new house.  The are doing ok.  I had to hand water these last week.  The wind with the heat and lack of rain caused 4 of the 7 (the smaller ones) to wilt.

Nice, how long do you think it'll take for them to start fruiting?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
I am not sure.   They started flowering a year after planting but the fruit have all aborted.  My mom planted 4 trees a year before me and none of her trees have hold fruit either.
Brandon

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
I am not sure.   They started flowering a year after planting but the fruit have all aborted.  My mom planted 4 trees a year before me and none of her trees have hold fruit either.

I was leaning towards mamey but if it has trouble setting fruit (maybe our bad soil?) I'd rather not risk it, so I've narrowed it down to:

abiu
barbados cherry
canistel
mango (not sure of the variety)
papaya
soursop
white sapote (not redlands)

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 12:30:51 AM »
For mangos....
How about Coconut Cream or Lemon Zest?  These newer Zill selections have been doing consistently well in taste testings.
Warren

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
For mangos....
How about Coconut Cream or Lemon Zest?  These newer Zill selections have been doing consistently well in taste testings.

How precocious / disease resistant /vigorous are they?

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:10 AM »
For mangos....

Das Bhut,
I know from some of my California friends that Lemon Zest is very vigorous.  I just got my trees today, so I can't personally comment on my growing experiences for LZ and CC.
Hopefully some of the other forum members/growers can comment on precocity and disease resistance. 
I did find this post: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=624.0

I don't think Zills publishes info on the stuff you are asking about.  I have seen a small amount of information on TT's website.

But I've tasted both fruits and loved them because they are so different.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:52:57 AM by wslau »
Warren

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
It's bothering me that I have space not being utilized but I'm not really sure what to plant. It has to have a fairly upright habit or at least be able to be pruned to about 8 feet wide. All 3 spots get 8+ hours of full sun and get hit by sprinklers 2-3 times a week. Also since I'm in South Florida the soil is rocky, alkaline, and full of nematodes so they should be able to handle our bad "soil"

So far I have:
Atemoya (Geffner)
Bananas (Rajapuri, Namwah, dwarf Cavendish)
Custard Apple (Fernandez)
Pitaya (David Bowie, Physical Graffiti, Vietnamese Jaina)
Jackfruit (2 seedlings, MAI-1, Black Gold X Tabouey)
Passionfruit (purple/yellow)
Rollinia (seedling)
Sapodilla (Hasya)
Soursop (Miami)
White Sapote (Redlands)

Everyone should  have :-)

Banana, Canistel, Muscadine grapes, Guava (if you can keep scale off it) maybe figs and papaya, and at least one mango. I'm not a huge lover of mango, but I'm fairly certain that if you give it a chance and try some from growers you'll find one you like enough to plant.

Regards,

Gary

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »
For mangos....

Das Bhut,
I know from some of my California friends that Lemon Zest is very vigorous.  I just got my trees today, so I can't personally comment on my growing experiences for LZ and CC.
Hopefully some of the other forum members/growers can comment on precocity and disease resistance. 

I don't think Zills publishes info on the stuff you are asking about.  I have seen a small amount of information on TT's website.

Thanks for the link, I've decided to get a coconut cream mango thanks to that thread. Not directly, but since people were talking about the coconut cream mango being more vigorous I decided to look it up and found out:
it has a low spreading "floppy" habit (which is great for the spot I want to put it in)
it's ranked pretty high in taste reviews (I'd rather have a coconut flavored mango than a citrusy mango, personally)
no members in south Florida have had any negative comments about it's vigor or disease resistance

That's one down, and after more research I've narrowed it down to:
white sapote (it's in season when everything else I have is, but it's my favorite fruit)
black sapote (it's in season when nothing else I have is)
canistel (because it's in season when nothing else I have is)
soursop (because it's supposedly year round but a shy bearer, two trees wouldn't hurt)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
For mangos....

Das Bhut,

Thanks for the link, I've decided to get a coconut cream mango thanks to that thread. Not directly, but since people were talking about the coconut cream mango being more vigorous I decided to look it up and found out:
it has a low spreading "floppy" habit (which is great for the spot I want to put it in)
it's ranked pretty high in taste reviews (I'd rather have a coconut flavored mango than a citrusy mango, personally)
no members in south Florida have had any negative comments about it's vigor or disease resistance

white sapote (it's in season when everything else I have is, but it's my favorite fruit)
soursop (because it's supposedly year round but a shy bearer, two trees wouldn't hurt)

You already have Redlands white sapote. After seeing some very productive mature white sapote trees, one tree should fill all your needs, you can always graft down the road if you want some fruit variation. I would vote canistel

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 12:02:34 AM »
Mexican Garcinia!

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »
For mangos....

Das Bhut,

You already have Redlands white sapote. After seeing some very productive mature white sapote trees, one tree should fill all your needs, you can always graft down the road if you want some fruit variation. I would vote canistel

Recher says most white sapotes need cross pollination.. but it seems white sapote like it drier than the climate can provide here in south Florida so I don't know. I don't have enough information on any of those to make a good decision :/

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
First spot: Coconut cream mango

Second spot: Canistel(don't know which cultivar I should get)

Third spot:  I'll leave it open for a while just in case something catches my eye

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk