Author Topic: Carrie Blooming Again  (Read 2307 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Carrie Blooming Again
« on: April 29, 2012, 01:04:50 PM »
In January/February my Carrie Mango tree lost almost all of its bloom due to powdery mildew that I sprayed too late for. It held onto a few fruit which all fell  a few weeks ago on one of the recent windy days. This afternoon, I was happily surprised to discover what appear to be new bloom spikes on several areas of the tree. I'm wondering when the fruit (if any) will be ready September or October maybe? 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Carrie Blooming Again
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »
I remember last year a "second" crop any may Carries that ripened i mid August thru mid September.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
The carrie is actually pretty resistant to PM. I never had any visible signs of powdery mildew on mine. Fruit set on the carrie was below that of previous years, but I think that the one cold snap we had hit right when it was loaded with flowers. My glenn got nailed pretty hard with PM but still set a reasonable crop. Keitt set a very heavy crop. I haven't sprayed with fungicide for a couple of years now. I figure if the tree can't set a decent crop without fungicide application, then it's time to plant a different cultivar :-).

My big in-ground carrie has fruits that are probably only a couple of weeks away from ripening up (super early!) and my potted 15 gallon carries on dwarfing rootstock are just now loading up with flowers. This should be an interesting season.

In January/February my Carrie Mango tree lost almost all of its bloom due to powdery mildew that I sprayed too late for. It held onto a few fruit which all fell  a few weeks ago on one of the recent windy days. This afternoon, I was happily surprised to discover what appear to be new bloom spikes on several areas of the tree. I'm wondering when the fruit (if any) will be ready September or October maybe? 
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

Nice !   I hope mine does that too

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk