Author Topic: With all the Mango talk, I want a mango tree but which?  (Read 3870 times)

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
With all the Mango talk, I want a mango tree but which?
« on: July 02, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
As mango lovers, we'd like to add a tree to our yard.  When we lived in Miami we had a mango tree in the yard that would yield some pretty large sized mangoes but pretty run mill generic mangoes I think, nothing special.

We're in Palm Beach now.  We have the yard filled with coconut, banana, and pineapples but lacking a mango tree.  Presently we have a large Florida Maple tree that would need to come down to make room for the mango.

So my question is what variety to grow?  We only have room for one.  I see lots of talk here about top tier mangoes such as LZ, OS, PPK, CC, etc. I never realized there were so many and of varying quality.  I figure we need to taste some of these so I need to find where we can buy some.  One other thing I'd like is for it to double as a shade tree for our picnic bench as our maple has once it gains size.

Anyways what are your thoughts on a choice for a mango tree if you could only choose one or which to avoid?

Thx
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:12:21 PM by Orly »

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: With all the Mango talk, I want a mango tree but which?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 04:50:21 PM »
There will never be a consensus on the best one to grow/plant.  Personally, knowing what I know now, I would plant a tree and multigraft/topwork it.  It sounds ominous, but it's not that difficult (youtube).  You can do that yourself or possibly pay someone to do it for you.

Having more than one variety in the future will pay dividends. 

Go for different tastes and shapes, and similar growth habits.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »

If you want a tree that stays smaller than most and is very productive, pick Honey Kiss. It is late season and tastes great. Pickering stays even smaller, but taste wise, I prefer Honey Kiss. I like Dwarf Hawaiian a lot as well, but it is early season and needs spraying for a real good fruit set. Glenn is productive but tastes bland sometimes, when there has been a lot of rain.

PPK and Lemon Zest both taste great. Not precocious but productive. Edgar is another variety that tastes great (one of my favorites) and is productive.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:13:07 PM »

If you want a tree that stays smaller than most and is very productive, pick Honey Kiss. It is late season and tastes great. Pickering stays even smaller, but taste wise, I prefer Honey Kiss. I like Dwarf Hawaiian a lot as well, but it is early season and needs spraying for a real good fruit set. Glenn is productive but tastes bland sometimes, when there has been a lot of rain.

PPK and Lemon Zest both taste great. Not precocious but productive. Edgar is another variety that tastes great (one of my favorites) and is productive.

As far as tree size goes, whats considered standard for most?  My Maple tree is not tiny.  I'd like it to have an elevated but somewhat spread canopy for the shade.  I guess part of that can come from trimming it myself.

Our previous mango tree looked horrible, thick trunk but scraggly limbs. Been through a number of hurricanes, Andrew, Katrina, Wilma, Matthew, Irma plus countless tropical storms.
Here's the only pic I have, not in good focus but has a few mangoes still on it:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:19:55 PM by Orly »

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
There will never be a consensus on the best one to grow/plant.  Personally, knowing what I know now, I would plant a tree and multigraft/topwork it.  It sounds ominous, but it's not that difficult (youtube).  You can do that yourself or possibly pay someone to do it for you.

Wow, a Frankenstein mango tree, brilliant.  If it's truly as easy as it looks and reliable it's a great idea.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 05:46:02 PM »
Id consider Mallika. The tree is beautiful, easy to control and disease resistant. The fruit when picked at the right time is absolutely delicious and strong competition for the new varieties coming out.
https://youtu.be/SUCEoCadFHk

koundog

• U.S FL,Vero Beach 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Now is a good time to try some mangos and plant what you like!

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:37 PM »
I would suggest going by Zill's Mango Store (I believe open in the summer every day but Saturday).
Located at :

197 SE 27th Avenue
Boynton Beach, FL33435-7607
Phone: (561) 737-9419 CALL AHEAD!

You can purchase and try a wide variety of mango's discussed on the forum to see what you like. In addition, they will kindly answer any questions about individual trees.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 08:48:45 PM »
I would suggest going by Zill's Mango Store (I believe open in the summer every day but Saturday).
Located at :

197 SE 27th Avenue
Boynton Beach, FL33435-7607
Phone: (561) 737-9419 CALL AHEAD!

You can purchase and try a wide variety of mango's discussed on the forum to see what you like. In addition, they will kindly answer any questions about individual trees.

Yeah, I looked them up as well as Tropical Acres Farms.  They're both open this Wednesday so I'll give at least one of them a visit.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
the best is go around and taste throughout next season so you and your family will like the mango kind. since everyone has different taste buds and some that people like my family and i don't like.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
In general, tasting mangoes this season is not going to be a good judging factor as to what you might like. So many of the fruits are sub par to below average that it will be hard to judge what is really good, what it should be versus what it is that you are tasting.   Develop there have been some decent mangoes I have tasted, but even those are only a percentage of the flavor, intensity and sweetness of what they should be. Sometimes this happens when the weather conditions don't cooperate. This is probably the worst mango season in the last 10 years in terms of fruit being washed out/bland in flavor and sugar content.

Before I get my head ripped off, I'm sure there are some good ones coming out of various locations but the majority of the fruit coming out of South Florida that people are used to enjoying fall under the aforementioned washed out flavor.

Even Gary Zill has stated this is one of the worst seasons in terms of mango flavor, and quality of fruit that he can reminder.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:50:14 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
Tasting mangoes this season is not going to be a good judging factor as to what you might like. So many of the fruits are sub par to below average that it will be hard to judge what is really good, what it should be versus what it is that you are tasting.   Develop there have been some decent mangoes I have tasted, but even those are only a percentage of the flavor, intensity and sweetness of what they should be. Sometimes this happens when the weather conditions don't cooperate. This is probably the worst mango season in the last 10 years in terms of fruit being washed out/bland in flavor and sugar content.
kinda funny, earlier this year everyone was thinking this was going to be a great one in a long time

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »
Tasting mangoes this season is not going to be a good judging factor as to what you might like. So many of the fruits are sub par to below average that it will be hard to judge what is really good, what it should be versus what it is that you are tasting.   Develop there have been some decent mangoes I have tasted, but even those are only a percentage of the flavor, intensity and sweetness of what they should be. Sometimes this happens when the weather conditions don't cooperate. This is probably the worst mango season in the last 10 years in terms of fruit being washed out/bland in flavor and sugar content.
kinda funny, earlier this year everyone was thinking this was going to be a great one in a long time

And then the rains came and rained and rained and rained...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 10:42:52 PM »
It was an awesome mango year in terms of production, but flavor has been sub par. Brix levels have been about 20% lower than usual across the board. Flesh texture has also been bad.

Lemon zest, though a bit lower in brix than normal, have been quite good.
Jeff  :-)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
Before I get my head ripped off, I'm sure there are some good ones coming out of various locations but the majority of the fruit coming out of South Florida that people are used to enjoying fall under the aforementioned washed out flavor.

Haha. 

I would agree this season seems more hit and miss so far with fruit from my trees, friends, and vendors.  The maha, Ice Cream, and ST were delicious however these are new varieties to me.  Its crazy how much of a difference a couple days can make when picking and counter ripening too. 
- Marley

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 05:12:58 PM »
I would still recommend you buy and eat a few mangos.  Something may appeal to you and then knowing it can even be better is just a plus.
Remember that preference in taste is personal and some on this forum will swear by Carrie and others will pass on it.  Talk to the seller, Squam256 for example will talk to folks who stop by, about mangos and he or anyone at Zill's may be able to tell you how the variety you are tasting has fared this year.

See what locals are saying at the link below
Best tasting mangos of 2018

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:24:12 PM by Orkine »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »
For ease of care plus tasty fruit I would go with sweet tart

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
Lemon Meringue

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »
Sweet Tart and Lemon Meringue are two outstanding varieties.  You couldn't go wrong with either one, but LM/PPK has a citrus flavor, not a traditional mango flavor.  I only have two producing trees this year--Angie and Pickering--but their flavor has been consistently good.  Not at all subpar or washed-out.  They're beautiful trees, as well.  On the other hand, neither one is considered a top-tier variety.
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »

Wow, a Frankenstein mango tree, brilliant.  If it's truly as easy as it looks and reliable it's a great idea.

Orly, many people here have multigraft trees. If you match up the vigor of the selected varieties and start out with a low graft, you won’t have to worry as much about one variety taking over the other. By low graft, I’m trying to say that if you have two main branches, graft each of the main branches so that each half of the tree will be one variety. Grafting low will decrease the amount of rootstock suckers you have to keep your eye out for and remove. Grafting low also has issues such as lack of air circulation once the tree grows out and it will also be more difficult to mow, weed and fertilize your tree.

I believe the current recommendation in Florida is to have the branching/canopy starting around 3-4 feet from the ground.

The more varieties you put on a tree, the more difficult it is to keep each one in proportion. Multigrafting the tree can significantly increase your harvest season and you can add a bunch of varieties if you don’t mind some dying out or getting out of proportion with other varieties. One person in India is reported to have 500 varieties on one tree.

Here are a couple links with info on multigraft trees with pictures. The thread by Patrick can also give you a general idea about what varieties may be compatible with each other when grafted onto a tree. Patrick also selected some of the best tasting varieties.

Tree that had more than 60 grafts
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2194.0

Patrick’s combinations
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5196.0

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
Agree. Angie is also an excellent mango; I would place in the lower edge of top tier. Only issue is that it's more disease prone than either ST or LM.

Sweet Tart and Lemon Meringue are two outstanding varieties.  You couldn't go wrong with either one, but LM/PPK has a citrus flavor, not a traditional mango flavor.  I only have two producing trees this year--Angie and Pickering--but their flavor has been consistently good.  Not at all subpar or washed-out.  They're beautiful trees, as well.  On the other hand, neither one is considered a top-tier variety.
Jeff  :-)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Taste a bunch, pick top 3 to 5 and research their growth and disease issues.  Pick which fits best for you.

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 11:23:16 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone for all the responses so far.  Good info and plenty to research and ponder.