Author Topic: Leaf drop during production  (Read 962 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Leaf drop during production
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:19:44 PM »
So I’ve had my citrus for about a year now, no issues, other than when I burned my variegated pink lemon with too much foliage pro to water... anyways that was a while ago. I’ve learned so many great things from you guys on this forum! Thank you all! Anyways, After long last, I finally have my meyer producing. It has already flowered and has small lemons forming. It had a flush of new growth! Now again I am new to the actual production of citrus, so it’s cool to have a functioning tree and all, but the lemon seems to be dropping quite a few leaves. Maybe 3 a day since the lemons set. I have a 600w LED panel at 14 hours a day (1200umol/m/s^2) plus some other supplemental lights until my citrus can be outdoors again in the summer. I also supply bottom heat, temps are anywhere from 70F to 80F (21C to 28C) at all times.

I have a water meter set at the bottom of the root base when I planted it a month ago in the 5-1-1 mix I made, it hasn’t shown any negative symptoms until the fruit actually set. None of the fruit has fallen, only quite a few of the old leaves, along with a few portions of new growth has shriveled. I know Meyers are very picky, however I haven’t changed anything for it recently.. I water when the meter is on 2/8 (1 being bone dry and 8 being soaked) with 5ml of foliage pro to a gal (macro 9-3-6 + trace), and add a slow release of 19-6-12. I carefully measure now a days since I burned one plant that’s still in recovery as stated before.

My calamondin is doing just peachy, setting fruit and new flowers everywhere. Fruit of all stages. No issues there. My others are pushing out new growth like crazy, no issues.

Long story short, Basically, just wondering if some leaf drop on these Meyers is normal during production. Geez I treat these plants like my children!   ;D
Sorry for the long post! Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:21:24 PM by franklazar26 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Leaf drop during production
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
One of the greatest periods of leaf drop for citrus cultivars is when the tree is flowering.  As you are growing in a 5-1-1 medium, you do not have to worry much about over watering.  As it is, you are most likely under watering.

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »
That’s what mostly I was wondering about. I haven’t been able to find much info on it. Thanks Millet! The 5-1-1 mix I probably added a little more peatmoss/garden soil so it has a little more water holding capacity. I find watering every 3 days works well. Water till the meter goes up to at least 7/8, it slowly goes back down to 2/8 and rewater.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 06:04:37 AM »
The lights are powerful plus the bottom heat then the very draining medium, like millet said most probably the tree is under watered. Perhaps some dry patches in the medium. I would take the tree and sink in a bucket full of water for 30 min. Do this once every 3 weeks.
One of the reasons I don't use 5-1-1 is that while it's very good during winter, here during hot summer is a disaster, I would need to water 2-3 times a day.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
I'm having the same problem with my lemon tree.  It is flowering profusely but also dropping leaves at the same time.  I'm thinking of removing some flower bud.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk