Author Topic: my winter greenhouse  (Read 2949 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
my winter greenhouse
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
I had posted my setup last year on the citrus growers forum.  I've made some minor improvements and so I figured I would give an update.

The original project was to make use of storage space above my garage.  It already needed a new roof so when replacing shingles I replaced an entire face with 8mm dual-wall polycarbonate.

The southern face of 'B' section is what became the greenhouse

This is how it looked before

I added better subfloor as the existing floorboards were barely strong enough to walk on

Work in progress

Glazing complete

Painted the floor white to maximize light

At this point it was already getting late in the season and I had to move the plants in while I worked.

Insulation - fiberglass batts covered with reflective polyisocyanate foam board.  Under the floor I also have fiberglass batts.

Added a door, cut to size and covered with foam insulation.  Doubled up the 2x4s on the walls to add depth for insulation

Added remaining wall insulation.

A nice 1F (-17C) winter day...

...with huge growth flushes

This was a year ago.  Everything has worked out beautifully.  I was able to keep it heated with two 1500w space heaters with built-in thermostats.  I had to use propane on below 0F days but I realized come springtime that what I thought was an on/off switch on the heaters was actually low/hi power and I think I was running at half power all winter!  So hopefully I won't need propane at all this year unless there is a power outage.  I try to keep it at 55F but often it drops into the 40s on cold nights.  Conveniently my local power company just started offering lower off-peak electric rates so it isn't as expensive to heat as I had feared.  From walking around feeling for cold spots on a freezing day it seems like the polycarbonate face is clearly where the heat is being lost.  If I did it again I think I would use 10mm or more.

Condensation has not been an issue at all.  I have yet to see any.  I think the heaters keep it dry.  The biggest problem was watering.  I had set up a slanted bench for watering trees, where runoff water was directed into a pipe that drained outside.  The problem was that the bench could only hold a few trees at a time, and it took hours before they stopped dripping water.  This meant I could only water a few trees a day and I had to rotate them constantly on and off the bench.  I now have twice as many trees so this would be even more impractical. 

My solution this year was to add vinyl flooring and a floor drain.  Because the floor sags very slightly, water tends to flow towards the center.  I dumped a bucket of water on the floor to see where the lowest point was and installed a drain there, with a pipe flowing outside.  I also added an extra support post in the center of the garage to ensure the added weight isn't an issue.  Now I just leave the containers on the floor and let the water spill out and find its way to the drain.

It was getting dark out but here's a picture from today

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: my winter greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:54 AM »
awesome set up, Shows some dedication. Wish you the best this winter for you and your plants.

ricocecargill

• Thank GOD For Life
    • Bahamas, Grand Bahama, Freeport,10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:16:59 AM »
You are awesome. The project show your awesome strength of commitment and will. Great job and GOD Bless.
Behave in the image that GOD created us in. Cultivate the earth with good seed so our children and other behind us can reap good fruits.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
Certainly one of the most unique greenhouses I seen.  Thank you for the pictures.  -Millet

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:34 PM »
EXCELLENT ! I wonder if you filled in 1/3  to 1/2 of the squares under the polycarbonate with insulation would it help save your heating costs and still let in enough light ? I feel like a propane heater on a thermostat would be cheaper than electricity but that's just a guess. It's a little late now but I also wonder if insulation on all the ceiling and lots of fluorescent lighting might have been cheaper in the long run ? I hope everybody has a great Thanksgiving ! Tom

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
Hey, thanks!

Yes I had considered that insulating the whole thing and using grow lights instead of electric heat would be more cost effective, plus the lights could stay on all night.  However this is somehow more entertaining to me.  It's really nice in there when the sun is out.  Propane may also be cheaper, but as I don't have a tank I would have to buy one and arrange fuel deliveries... not sure how long the payoff would be. 

The clear winning setup would be a normal greenhouse on the ground with water barrels for heat storage like Millet is using.  I don't have the land for this at the moment but if I ever move this is what I will do. 

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
I still say excellent ! I know what you mean by entertaining. You have done a wonderful job. Millet has a great set up and his black barrels help a lot but I'm pretty sure he couldn't do what he does without propane as his main source of heat. I'm pretty sure he has a primary and a secondary heating system both powered by propane. Have a great Thanksgiving ! Tom

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »

very neat idea.
I built a shed in my back yard with 1/2 for a Jacuzzi, and the other 1/2 as a greenhouse
My main problem is watering them.
i bring in a 5 gallon bucket and a large cup. Runoff isnt a problem
just bringing water in, and watering them every day.

The 2nd problem is heat.
i forgot to add vents, and in the daytime it got up to 114F the other day.
which means they need more water.

i paint the 5 gallon buckets black
so the sun hits them and warms the water.
if you really want to warm things up
paint everything black

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
Ah, that reminds me!  I was watching the movie American Hustle and it has a scene with an in-ground pool inside a glazed structure outdoors that is essentially a greenhouse.  I couldn't help thinking how great it would be to do something like this and put plants inside.  The only worry i can think of is the chlorine in the air harming the plants.  How is it working out with the jacuzzi? 

I water with a hose.  I disconnect it and let it drain out so it doesn't freeze full of water.  I used to do buckets but it took too long.  I only need to water maybe once a week, but temps in zone 6 are lower so things aren't cooking.  Any reason you can't run a long hose?  Even if it's to fill buckets that are left to warm in the sun, then use for watering?

I have my containers painted half white (other half is black) and turn them in summer and winter.  Definitely helps keep soil temps down in summer and up in winter
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:15:57 PM by brian »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk