Author Topic: What should I replace the Florigon part of my tree with?  (Read 1192 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
What should I replace the Florigon part of my tree with?
« on: April 21, 2020, 12:56:30 PM »

I have a Juicy Peach tree that didn't flower or fruit for 4 years. So I topworked the two main limbs and converted it into a Juicy Peach-Florigon tree. The florigon part of the tree has hundreds of fruits on it, compared to just five on the Juicy Peach, but the fruits have a watery, washed out flavor. I would like to replace the Florigon with some other productive variety that isn't   lacking in flavor. Any suggestions? Glenn is not an option :)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What should I replace the Florigon part of my tree with?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
Is it the first time the florigon part fruited?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
Some of the indo-chinese mangoes will have early fruits that have a washed out flavor (duncan for example). Later in the season, the flavor should intensify.
Jeff  :-)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »

The florigon part of the tree has hundreds of fruits on it,  the fruits have a watery, washed out flavor. I would like to replace the Florigon with some other productive variety that isn't   lacking in flavor. Any suggestions?
Florigon is one of the varieties that I enjoy eating the skin with the flesh as it gives a very citrusy flavor. If your able to eat mango skin, I would suggest you giving it a try as it will definitely make the taste stronger if your able to eat the thin mango skin on this variety.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:02:00 PM »
Some of the indo-chinese mangoes will have early fruits that have a washed out flavor (duncan for example). Later in the season, the flavor should intensify.

The problem is that the tree fruited so heavily, almost on every limb, that there was little to no  second bloom. I remember last year that the fruits from the second bloom came mid June and were quite good.

That being said, any  suggestions on a productive variety with  good flavor?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »
Is it the first time the florigon part fruited?

No, third year. Very, very productive. Fruits from the second bloom are usually much better than those from the first, but this time, the tree held on to so many fruit from the first bloom that it didn't have much of a second bloom.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »

The florigon part of the tree has hundreds of fruits on it,  the fruits have a watery, washed out flavor. I would like to replace the Florigon with some other productive variety that isn't   lacking in flavor. Any suggestions?
Florigon is one of the varieties that I enjoy eating the skin with the flesh as it gives a very citrusy flavor. If your able to eat mango skin, I would suggest you giving it a try as it will definitely make the taste stronger if your able to eat the thin mango skin on this variety.

I will give that a try. I may keep one  limb of Florigon and graft something else on the other main branch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk