Author Topic: Leopard Skin Chempadak  (Read 9039 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Leopard Skin Chempadak
« on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
 A friend who is a retired govt tropical fruit researcher and grower advisor dropped off one his prized prized rag free leopard skin chempadaks.What a great taste and rag and flesh is the same and fruit are quite small.This is what he and I rank as the no. 2 variety in Australia and there are many.He also has the number one.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Leopard Skin Chempadak
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
Very cool and interesting-looking fruit, Mike.

Kind of like a headless armadillo!  ;D

Jaime

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
probably my second favorite fruit next to durian... how would you describe the taste of this one? All the orange/red fleshed cempedaks Ive tried have a very nice candy caramel flavor, sometimes with a musky-ness similar to longan...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:27:21 PM »
roboto that is a great description and similar to this one.I think there is also a cantaloupe taste in there and a bit of jackfruit as well.I find the smooth skinned types quite different from the rough ones.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 04:47:40 AM »
Neat looking chempedak. Looks a bit like a naked pineapple. So what is the #1 variety, and does this spotted chempedak have a variety name?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
Oscar it does not have a name and was identified in a small area and brought to Australia many years ago by Brian Watson.He and co workers looked at many types in SE Asia.There is only one adult tree here in his yard and it not as large as most and fruits low on the trunk.The no. 1 also has no name and is long and twisted/irregular with huge yellow bulbs.The flavor of that one is sensational and Brian's tree is loaded with green fruit.
They just get called the leopard skin and twisted chempadak locally to identify them.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Oscar it does not have a name and was identified in a small area and brought to Australia many years ago by Brian Watson.He and co workers looked at many types in SE Asia.There is only one adult tree here in his yard and it not as large as most and fruits low on the trunk.The no. 1 also has no name and is long and twisted/irregular with huge yellow bulbs.The flavor of that one is sensational and Brian's tree is loaded with green fruit.
They just get called the leopard skin and twisted chempadak locally to identify them.
aa

OK, thanks Mike. In my opinion chempedak is a vastly under rated fruit in most tropical countries. There are loads of excellent chempedak cultivars in Malaysia and Brunei that should be much more widely known and spread.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
Looking at airfare Mexico - Australia ....Mike you gotta stop posting stuff like this , you are torturing me...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:19:37 AM »
Looking at airfare Mexico - Australia ....Mike you gotta stop posting stuff like this , you are torturing me...

Luc, for loads of chempedak i would go directly to Malaysia. More fruits and a whole lot cheaper! Penang is especially nice for durians and chempedaks.
Oscar

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 02:01:44 AM »
Wow Mike, what an incredible looking fruit, it doesn't seem ripe  from the outside but looks are deceptive.  Interior looks outstanding!

I agree Luc but I'm hoping maybe Santa might give me a ride or at least bring me an airline ticket to get to Australia.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 03:17:32 AM »
Ethan they do have a strange look like noni and skinned pineapple as Oscar said.The skin is thin and the fruit more spongy than jackfruit.You would see more diversity of them in Malaysia alright as only selected ones were brought to here from SE Asia.It would be the same for most fruit like mangoes, black sapote in mexico,abiu in brazil,macadamias here or jackfruit in india.

There is the Founder's Effect that operates like island biogeography.It allows selection from a smaller gene pool to make things change faster or have selected features get expressed more.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »

Luc, for loads of chempedak i would go directly to Malaysia. More fruits and a whole lot cheaper! Penang is especially nice for durians and chempedaks.

Was just joking Oscar , been there ( Malaysia ) done that , I'll have to accept that some fruits will not do well at my place . Unfortunately it is # 1 and 2 of my favorites ( so far ) , mangosteen on the other hand is a no problem tree , my tallest is 4 meters now , I am soooo proud of it .

BTW what is an amber jackfruit ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
luc there was an amber jackfruit thread that the last comment was made on 2 days ago.Your mangosteen must be producing well and truly at 4m.There are a few mangosteen 'strains' and they vary quite a bit in the taste of the fruit,environmentakl conditions they tolerate or prefer,what the trees look like and how quickly they grow and fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

The mother leopard skin tree like many of the best chempas has a skirt of fruit lying down on the job as well as hanging in abundance.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »
What a beauty of a tree, covered in such cool looking fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 01:09:24 AM »
Ethan, this types goes smooth when ripe and its sking is rather soft.You can pull out the core with bulbs attached even easier than most of the species.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:23 PM »
Mike,

do you have a pic of the entire tree?

You've got me thinking about artocarpus more and more.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
They take 4 or 5 years to begn fruiting from seed.I could not get a pic of the while tree a longkong and durians were getting in the way.It had a thick trunk but was short and compact.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 07:31:13 AM »
Hi Mike,
Luved seeing both mother trees...they look absolutely AWESOME with the load of fruits  8)

Is this tree grafted or a seedling tree?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 04:48:26 PM »
Steven they are seedling but grew true.I think grafted ones would miss out on the fruit skirt lying around the ground.Until I tried the twisted one this was the best I had tried.The grower who helped distribute many jackfruit varieties years ago prefers chempedak and said they were more productive from a smaller tree.The softer skin and powerful sweet aroma make them less desirable as a commercial crop than jacks.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
Hi Mike,
Well said...grafted plant will miss out on the fruit skirt ;D Your Christmas was surely fruitful...cool to hear you found your fav chempa 8)

Australia sure is full of Indiana Jones fruit collectors ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »
Steven there are really not many chempedak Dundees around.Xmas was fruity and for a while I was feeling seedy afterwards.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
Steven there are really not many chempedak Dundees around.Xmas was fruity and for a while I was feeling seedy afterwards.

Nice photos as always; we still got a lot of rain here towards the beginning of the dry season. Not much of a Xmas weather compared with the snowy conditions back in Denmark!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »

;D ;D ;D Once you go Chempa, you can't go back ;) I reckon the odour could be the main factor for the Chempa not being accepted by many folks :(  They should breed an odourless Chempa...then you will see them Chempa Dundees roll'n in ;D
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »
What an aroma and both are very different but equally pleasant.Ripe at the same time so lets put them to the knife in a clean operation.I have never lost a patient.

The twisted sista has huge bulbs and a quick taste reveals a glorious flavor.

Well there is 20lbs of fruit I will have to eat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk