Author Topic: What variety is this mango and is this a Ross Sapote?  (Read 6776 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
What variety is this mango and is this a Ross Sapote?
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:40:43 PM »

I went to Rusty's Market today and picked up some canistels that look like ross sapotes.They are 1.7lbs each and the seller said they are not a ross and the best tasting canistel he has ever tried.Could they really be ross sapotes?

I grabbed a couple of small red mangoes for only 60c/lb.They were labelled florida reds and I suspect they'll be very turpsy.I think I know what they are but the Florida mango brains trust will know for sure.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: What variety is this mango and is this a Ross Sapote?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »
the infamous glass table!

yes looks like a sauce rapote
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:02:37 PM »

Adam my garden potting table is better than the kitchen bench with a flash.The colors didn't turn out right there.People have seen enough of my ugly paw with fruit in as well.Maybe I need to be more creative.

Are Ross Sapote usually large? I haven't seen what I know as Ross now in the 1.5lb to 2lb range before.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:26:11 PM »
mike,

I wasn't complaining!

both tables are great, it's what's on the table that counts.

I'm sure Ross can get bigger, but I have limited experience growing these.  All mine are about the size of an orange.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »
The canistels are 21 to 29oz but EDIS describes Ross Sapote as being between 3 and 6oz and green yellow but these are not ripe and still bright yellow.I wonder if there are several strains of Ross Sapote.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Yeah, they look pretty much like Ross Sapotes to me.  Re: the "Florida mango".......I have no idea what it is.......never seen anything like it.  But then, what do I know about Florida mangoes.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »

Haus the mango was very sweet,with a rich flavor and no turpsiness at all.It was delicious.I think the vendor just made up an exotic name for a bright red mango.

I think EDIS must be wrong if they also say ross sapote is only fair eating.The size difference is substantial.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:40:16 AM »

Haus the mango was very sweet,with a rich flavor and no turpsiness at all.It was delicious.I think the vendor just made up an exotic name for a bright red mango.

I think EDIS must be wrong if they also say ross sapote is only fair eating.The size difference is substantial.
Mike:

I think EDIS may be wrong on the Ross, as they also appear to be wrong on the description of the Fairchild #2 canistel.

As for the size of the canistel fruit you purchased, they do look like a Ross but on steroids.

As far as the mangoes, the shape looks somewhat like a Zill (I mean the actual variety called Zill) which do have a vibrant red coloration but I don't ever remember seeing them solid red.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »

Mike:

I think EDIS may be wrong on the Ross, as they also appear to be wrong on the description of the Fairchild #2 canistel.

As for the size of the canistel fruit you purchased, they do look like a Ross but on steroids.

As far as the mangoes, the shape looks somewhat like a Zill (I mean the actual variety called Zill) which do have a vibrant red coloration but I don't ever remember seeing them solid red.

While Zill does get nice red coloration, never have I seen solid red coloration throughout the fruit.....as Rob points out.  The shape is also somewhat off from Zill.  Mine, at least are somewhat more full, more round and uniform in shape. There is also a more pronounced beak in the Zill mangoes I have seen.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »

Mike:

While Zill does get nice red coloration, never have I seen solid red coloration throughout the fruit.....as Rob points out.  The shape is also somewhat off from Zill.  Mine, at least are somewhat more full, more round and uniform in shape. There is also a more pronounced beak in the Zill mangoes I have seen.
Harry - look at Mike's picture with the fruit sitting on the wood table...there is a pronounced beak (which is why, along with it smaller size, I thought of the Zill)
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
The ones on the table do seem to have a significant beak that I did not appreciate in the cut open shot.  However, the shape of the ones on the table also seem to be significantly longer than wide and not shaped like the Zills that I know.  So nix the beak comment.  I'll stick with coloration and shape as being different than Zill.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
The ones on the table do seem to have a significant beak that I did not appreciate in the cut open shot.  However, the shape of the ones on the table also seem to be significantly longer than wide and not shaped like the Zills that I know.  So nix the beak comment.  I'll stick with coloration and shape as being different than Zill.
Since we are talking in the land down under, where a zillion KP seedlings grow...maybe a seedling of a Zill (or another random seedling altogether)...
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »
Thanks guys and you are probably correct Rob that they are from seedlings. I suppose that would mean the mango and canistel don't have a true variety names.The mangoes in the sellers stall were nearly all complete red,had a small beak and apparently the purchasers before me took all the largest ones.Canistels are also grown from seed quite often so this may be just a seedling of Ross.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 08:48:47 AM »
Thanks guys and you are probably correct Rob that they are from seedlings. I suppose that would mean the mango and canistel don't have a true variety names.The mangoes in the sellers stall were nearly all complete red,had a small beak and apparently the purchasers before me took all the largest ones.Canistels are also grown from seed quite often so this may be just a seedling of Ross.

Ross is not a cultivar name. As far as i know all the Ross sapotes are seedling trees. It looks like a Ross to me also. usually they are a lot smaller than that, but large size may just be due to great fertility or super healthy tree ot the down under let em get giant effect.  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 09:43:00 AM »
I believe the Ross is a variety name.  EDIS recognizes it (I am on my phone so can't post the link).
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
there is still a debate, whether Ross is a separate species.

If the fruit is borne in clusters, on the older wood, not the branch terminals, and the fruits are round, I'd say it's a Ross.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »
I believe the Ross is a variety name.  EDIS recognizes it (I am on my phone so can't post the link).

Don't confuse variety with a separate species. It is quite possible that Ross is a different species from campechiana (canistel). There is still some debate about that. Pennington, the taxonomist specializing on sapotaceae thought it was a separate species. But what gets passed around and propagated are Ross seeds, so that cannot be called a cultivar. I think all the Ross trees are seedling trees. There probably are variations within the Ross genepool, but these cannot be properly maintained if all trees are propagated from seed.
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
I have never seen that kind of mango.

Your canistels look like 'Ross'.

My "Ross' is from graftwood from Bill Whitman's yard.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
Anybody know what the origin is of the Ross' that Lara Farms sells?
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 09:15:54 PM »

Thanks for the ID everyone.Adam is right that Ross is Boss and this one is delicious and quite moist.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 10:18:45 PM »
your ross has paid the cost to be the boss, its a bad mother.

its like the same diameter as a dinner plate!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »
Adam, you can rhyme, anytime.That is the runt of the litter and the other 2 are even bigger.The seeds match how Oscar described they should look.I reckon I can tell which are canistel and which are Ross now with 'half way' ones I keep seeing.I can lay off posting pix of every round canistel I see and asking "how about this?"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk