Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 529350 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #575 on: December 30, 2014, 01:18:51 AM »
A product with Potassium phosphite or with Calcium phosphonate, mixed at less-than-maximum rate, would work better on already open bloom.
Har

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 23, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
It seems like the flowers on my lemon meringue are turning brown and drying up. More water? Was watering twice a week. Can post pics in a bit.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #577 on: January 23, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
Probably powdery mildew.  A picture would help.  If that is what it is, you need to spray with sulphur to address the problem.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 23, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
Probably powdery mildew.  A picture would help.  If that is what it is, you need to spray with sulphur to address the problem.

If PM, it may be too late for this season.

It also may just be that they are "drying up" and not setting any fruit.  As Harrry said, would need pictures.
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
There are a few other possible and less likely causes.Anthracnose will cause foliage to be effected and flowers to blacken.This is a worse problem when the plant has been wet too much.There are insect pests that mine stems, ruin flowers and cause blackening through attacking the tissues.A photo would help. 

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 23, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 23, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
There are a few other possible and less likely causes.Anthracnose will cause foliage to be effected and flowers to blacken.This is a worse problem when the plant has been wet too much.There are insect pests that mine stems, ruin flowers and cause blackening through attacking the tissues.A photo would help.

I have seen pannicles attacked by anthracnose but the foliage virtually unscathed...but as you say, that is more of a black color appearance.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 23, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
Petals of the flowers are turning brown :( :( :'( :'( Does not look like powdery mildew, atleast not from pictures I have seen. Early mildew? Any hope?

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 23, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
It is literally like brown shriveled when a plant dries out from not enough water, but only the little leaves of the flowers.  Watering weds and sundays. Too much? Tree has been in ground since last July.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 23, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »
Those pics look fine.  I see many little mangoes set (see the green "BBs").  As with any sized tree, in the beginning stage, there will be way more little mangoes set than the tree will hold but there are a lot set right now.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 23, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
There are tons of bb's lol So the browning is just part of the fruiting process? Soil is pretty bone dry since last watering Weds about 2-3 inches down. Gonna mulch it next time I water. How often should I be watering, Once a week then? I have been playing with the rains too and skipping waterings if it rains. People think I am mad at work cuz if it is cloudy there I check the radar to see if water is going to hit my house LOL  Have not fertilized. SOOOOOOOOOOO new to this and hoping not to hamper my babies lol  I have never seen mango flowers up close and definetly have not checked on them every day during the flowering/fruiting season LMAO  All the trees around here are huge so only see the flowers from a distance. Thanks for your help Bullie

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 23, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »
Are you watering with hose or sprinklers?  Some light watering is ok however if it has been in the ground for a year and a half, it is pretty much probably able to survive on its own.  Too much water will have ill effects on the mangoes developing.

Don't, I repeat DON'T fertilize now.  It would put the fruit at major risk and would most likely cause them to drop and the tree would focus its energy to vegatative flushes.  If it holds fruit, wait till the final harvest to fertilize.  If all mangoes drop and its holding nothing, then you can begin fertilizing at that time.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 23, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
Thanks, no I have not fertilized thanks to all the reading I did on here.  How often should I water trees that were planted last week? twice a week for next month and then once a week? I water with a wand and hose at the base. Also read not to water the leaves lol (lots of reading lately) 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #588 on: January 23, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with the flowers in the pictures posted. The ones that don't set fruit, and most of them won't, are just going to dry up and turn brown.

If the trees were just planted last week, twice a week for the first couple months is sufficient, once a week thereafter until about a year out and the trees are established. After that, just during drought periods (several weeks without rainfall or signs of drought stress).

Also, if you just planted these I would consider removing the fruit that they set so that the trees can establish itself better. Newly planted trees, even larger ones, that are allowed to carry fruit to maturity often won't grow well thereafter.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 23, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
Looks good to me.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:19 PM »
Thanks. Peace of mind LOL Yeah this one is in its second fruiting season with me, last year I clipped all flowering/fruit spikes to let it focus on growing.  thanks again everyone for your insight.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 23, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
Thanks. Peace of mind LOL Yeah this one is in its second fruiting season with me, last year I clipped all flowering/fruit spikes to let it focus on growing.  thanks again everyone for your insight.

Depending on your soil and the weather,  i would recommend watering the newly planted trees an extra day or two per week (more with warmer drier weathers and depending if you have fast draing lighter sand soil).  Also, when you water, take the wand off the hose and water deep enough to get the water down to the entire root ball.
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 23, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
I don't see a problem at all.  The flowers that don't produce the bb size fruits will all turn brown and die.  That's whats happening to mine right now.  I wouldn't be worried

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: January 24, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
Tree survival and fruit retention are two different things.

When the top several inches of topsoil goes powdery dry, even well established trees will drop way more of their tiny fruits than would be the case if soil moisture were maintained--- even if the tree doesn't look wilted.
Har

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »
thanks for the replies. Keeping a close eye and watering tomorrow. Was hoping for rain today to let nature do her thing,but no luck.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 25, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »
yeah you have  some decent fruit set there....everything looks good
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 12, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »
I have a Parvim mango. The new leaf growth is pale green and the leaves are young and very hard. They have a heavy plastic feel to them where as the older leaves also feel plastic like but not to this level.

Any ideas if this is an infection or nutrient deficiency? Or, is this normal for Parvim?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 12, 2015, 08:46:21 PM »
2nd picture:  I have never seen that--- very unusual Rococco or Van Goghesque swirls between the secondary veins.

I suggest that you contact a tissue-culture lab to propagate this as a novelty. 

It would also be good to have a university lab test this to see if it is a virus.
Har

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 13, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »
It almost looks emaciated, with bulging veins.  A sport?

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
What could have caused the trunk to split like this on my Carrie?

George