Author Topic: Sell seeds Plinia rivularis , popular name Cambucá-peixoto or guaburiti  (Read 35155 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Interesting side 'scrap' gents, it seems the Plinia fire up passions. If what a scholar is can't be pinned down what chance is there the correct identities of these 'Plinia rivularis' will be confirmed. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Interesting side 'scrap' gents, it seems the Plinia fire up passions. If what a scholar is can't be pinned down what chance is there the correct identities of these 'Plinia rivularis' will be confirmed.

I guess the only place you can get an education is at school, or some academy.

and there....I bet you can learn more than I ever have about plinia...

and you'll have a degree that says so!

that's why they are having me (with only a high scholol diploma) speak about Plinia and Myrciaria at the fruit conference.... ;)

I suppose I still don't qualify to be a scholar.

and neither does Helton...who wrote at damn book!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Saff with all this global warming there are too many degrees out there already. Graduating from the university of life is more important. I hear there will be ticket scalpers at the fruit conference for all the big talks like yours.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

I guess the only place you can get an education is at school, or some academy.

and there....I bet you can learn more than I ever have about plinia...

and you'll have a degree that says so!

that's why they are having me (with only a high scholol diploma) speak about Plinia and Myrciaria at the fruit conference.... ;)

I suppose I still don't qualify to be a scholar.

and neither does Helton...who wrote at damn book!

Lots of nurseryman get invited to tropical fruit conferences here also. I find those kinds of presentations the most interesting. But still doesn't mean they are scholars. Scholars are usually scholastic, and yes pedantic and often boring. But if everyone that has a book published became as a result a scholar just think how many scholars we would have floating around right now!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
it just depends on which definition of scholar you're using.  I didn't misuse the word.

if someone has a deep understanding of a particular subject, enough to give a lecture, or write a book....then that fits one of the definitions.

you can study a subject for years without ever attending a single class.  How much you learn is up to you, not a university, or a professor.

BTW...anyone know where I can score some pure Plinia rivularis seed?   ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
it just depends on which definition of scholar you're using.  I didn't misuse the word.

if someone has a deep understanding of a particular subject, enough to give a lecture, or write a book....then that fits one of the definitions.

you can study a subject for years without ever attending a single class.  How much you learn is up to you, not a university, or a professor.

BTW...anyone know where I can score some pure Plinia rivularis seed?   ;D

Words are easily stretched to fit any occasion. But do you really want to be introduced at conference as a scholar? To me it is a much greater honor to be simple nurseryman. My recommendation at conferences here is to invite a lot more farmers and nurseryman, and whole lot less academics. Ofcourse they never pay attention to me. Insider info:... they get more funding for conferences when they invite the very people that fund them, like universities and USDA.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
call me whatever you like, but don't call me late for the myrciaria/plinia craze!

The P. rivularis I have is finally large enough to start propagation attempts...If I get some takes I will be sure to share pics.

this is one that I must graft more of...mainly because the seeds are so hard to get....and it's a slow grower, taking years to fruit from seed.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
i am interested in the guabiriti
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
call me whatever you like, but don't call me late for the myrciaria/plinia craze!

The P. rivularis I have is finally large enough to start propagation attempts...If I get some takes I will be sure to share pics.

this is one that I must graft more of...mainly because the seeds are so hard to get....and it's a slow grower, taking years to fruit from seed.

You are definitely the original Dr. Craze in America for jabos. 8) Plinias i'm sorry, i had cambucas fruiting long ago.  ;)
Oscar

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Just curious Oscar how long have you been fruiting P. rivularis? Or how do you source your seeds?

You are definitely the original Dr. Craze in America for jabos. 8) Plinias i'm sorry, i had cambucas fruiting long ago.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:21:35 PM by edself65 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery

Just curious Oscar how long have you been fruiting P. rivularis? Or how do you source your seeds?

Ed, note i said i've been fruiting cambucas long time, not guaburiti  (P. rivularis). I've had cambuca planted for 16 years, and fruiting for about 8 years. I didn't even know about rivularis till a few years ago. I only have small plants of rivulars. My seeds, and i think all seeds of rivularis are coming still from Brazil. Have to admit i'm not so excited about P. rivularis any more after paying more attention due to this id issue at photos of rivularis in Brazilian Trees book. The fruits are tiny and looks like very little to eat.

Oscar

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Sell seeds Plinia rivularis , popular name Cambucá-peixoto or guaburiti
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2014, 06:31:37 AM »
I was on FleaBay the other week and noticed a seller in Florida who goes by the name of firstcoasttropicals, he had some P.rivularis. I asked him to pop his head in and show some pics and share in on some friendly disagreeing and hello to you guys. Not sure who or where the seedlings came from but they caught my eye and had to ask him to share.
Russell

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: Sell seeds Plinia rivularis , popular name Cambucá-peixoto or guaburiti
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:53 AM »
Hello,

I recently received some of your seeds in excellent condition.  The only problem is they are much larger than the Plinia rivularis seeds I've planted in the past (almost 3-4 times as large), and the seeds I planted before are confirmed to be the correct species.

Also, Plinia rivularis is a small fruit, so I'm wondering if you have a picture of the mother tree, or a picture of some fruits to confirm this tree's identity?

thanks!
Adam

Hello Adam,

I am happy the seeds arrived in excellent condition.
Yes, I can send a picture of the tree, the fruit is not season now, I will take the picture of the mothers trees and send to you
This seeds was collected of  6 different mother tree in the shore forest  of the sea of the state of Sao Paulo,
Probably you received two size of seeds, one small other bigger, the fruit are the same, but some mother tree have big fruit , and other mother tree have small fruit
The main feature of the Plinia rivularis seeds is inside the seed the color is pink.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi, I am in shok now:

"The main feature of the Plinia rivularis seeds is inside the seed the color is pink. "

so I have Plinia rivularis :-)